ryanmfairbank

'77 B-80 start circuit problem

ryanmfairbank

I recently acquired a 1977 B-80 Wheel Horse (K181) ... I just solved a surging issue, and now I have a start circuit problem.  I have a new battery and a new solenoid, and I just rewired the entire tractor this past weekend. I know that the ignition switch is fine, and I can also crank the motor by jumping the large solenoid post to the short post, but, when I turn the key...nothing!

Electronics is not my strong suit, so I would appreciate any and all suggestions...I'm going to try jumping the ammeter tomorrow to make sure that there isn't a problem there...

squonk

Check the ammeter connections first! 

rmaynard

Here is the wiring diagram. The '77 B-80 has two safety switches in the solenoid circuit.

B-80_100_C-120_160_Wiring_Correct.JPG

The PTO need to be off, and the clutch pedal depressed.

ryanmfairbank

Yes, I plan to check the ammeter connections first...

And thank you for the diagram...I actually downloaded that when I first purchased the tractor, and both of those safety switches have been bypassed on my start circuit...

rmaynard

Be sure that you have power to the ignition switch by checking the flow from the battery to the ammeter, out of the ammeter to the B terminal of the ignition switch, out of the S terminal of the switch to the coil of the solenoid. If the solenoid is an original type with 1 small lug and two large ones, it picks up its ground from its mounting. If the solenoid is not grounded, it will not work.

• Like 1

ryanmfairbank

went out this morning and bypassed the ammeter and she started right up! thanks for the help guys!

btw Bob Maynard...I was born and raised on the Eastern Shore of Maryland...and I want to thank you for your service as well!