Sign in to follow this  
KC9KAS

Well, I really screwed up!

KC9KAS

I got a really nice light put into my blast cabinet and have used it quite a lot in the last week or so on my wife's Gilson project.

Well today I was going to blast a really rusty rim and even though it was "light" inside the cabinet, I still couldn't see because of all the dust.

I decided to connect the shop vac to the vacuum port to expel the dust. This was a very good idea.

When I assembled the cabinet I used a lot of silicone sealant on all the areas that could possibly leak.

With that being said, I know my cabinet was going to be air tight....In fact, so air tight that the vacuum collapsed the cabinet bending the top piece of metal and busting the glass......Now it is really hard to see into the cabinet.

Note to self.....Remove the vent cap in the back of the cabinet next time I try the vacuum trick!

• Like 7

AMC RULES

Sorry to hear...  :huh:

hope you didn't get hurt.    :handgestures-fingerscrossed: 

Were you working in there when it happened. 

DougC

Yep, sounds like something I would do.When I was still working at the Chevy dealership I replaced several collapsed steel pickup truck gas tanks because of a failed vent valve. Vacuum is a very powerful force as is gravity.

Hope you weren't injured!

• Like 2

KC9KAS

No, I wasn't hurt...(except my pride).

The thing sucked tight and broke the glass so fast, I didn't have time to get in position to use it!

Lesson (costly lesson) learned!

• Like 1

squonk

Ken, what was the solution to your blast gun problem? How big is your vacuum? :)

If you think that's bad. you should see what happens to duct work when 2 supply fans try to suck 16,000 CFM of air thru an air handler and the air damper actuator has failed shut! :rolleyes:

KC9KAS
13 hours ago, squonk said:

Ken, what was the solution to your blast gun problem?

I bought the "upgraded" USA made blast gun/hose from TP Tools & Equipment.

The vacuum is a "Craftsman" 16 gallon....I think 2 HP....but it really screams and sucks!

• Like 1

squonk

That's quite the vac for that cabinet. Glad you went to TP! :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

Marv

What kinda light did you use?

Marvin