Monty72

I'm starting on restoring a Gt-14 that has been sitting in pieces in my father in laws barn for 20 years. He blew the engine and parked it. I plan on doing a complete teardown to bare metal. Where can I find parts diagrams for the mower. I have found them for the engine and transmission just no luck on actual mower.

20151004_192915.jpg

• Like 5

953 nut

:WRS: there have been a couple pf great threads on here by @Aldon giving detaile information on GT=14 restoration/revitalizatioin.  Here is a manual for you.

1-7441.pdf

• Like 3

Aldon

I suggest lots of pics on how everything is situated in the center tunnel area. The blow up parts diagram in manual is helpful but pics help a lot to clear things up.

I'll be watching for your updates and there is tons of knowledge from the members on this site. Hit a roadblock, then post a question. Most of time you get detailed help in a reasonable timeframe.

Parts can be challenging to locate. Use the wanted section in the classifieds and EBay for sourcing needs.

GT14's are awesome beasts! 

Enjoy the journey!

• Like 4

Monty72

I'm taking plenty of pics, however my father in law already had front end in pieces. I'll need plenty of advice because I have all the implements to restore also.

20160604_200450.jpg

• Like 2

KC9KAS

@Monty72 :WRS:

There are plenty of manuals and other folks that will help out here on Red Square.

We are in the process of redoing a GILSON. We used a lot of small zip lock bags for small parts and wrote on the bags what they were for, as well as taking a lot of photos.

I can't stress enough to take MANY, MANY photos from different angles and mark the bags really well!

(ask me how I know?)

• Like 3

ztnoo

There's a ton of wisdom here at RS.

Somewhat less so for your model, but since I've owned a GT 14 for 35 years, and I still mow with it (my only tractor), I'll try to be as helpful as I can be for someone who has never torn one down to restore.

Collectively here at RS, most problems and questions can be resolved, or a work around invented.

Steve

• Like 3

Monty72

OK, I've got everything torn down and ready to start prepping for paint. Does anyone have tricks or tips on cleaning the tins and frame for primer?

Wire wheel?

Sanding?

Sand Blasting?

• Like 1

Aldon

Spend some time reading over other restorations as all 3 methods are used to varying degrees of success. 

• Like 2

PeacemakerJack

Monty--have you had any success with your GT14 project?  I know all of us go through periods where we can't work on our tractors like we'd like to.  However, just checking with interest to see if you've had any luck with the paint process?  I'll be watching this thread with interest...

19richie66

Back up top........ any updates?

19richie66

Double post :confusion-shrug:

Edited by 19richie66

ztnoo

umm.gif.723fadab374323e1249c47c5c819ebcf.gif

GT14

Nothing like a good old GT in the stable.

JimSraj

How can I join the GT14 club?

RandyLittrell
On 9/10/2021 at 8:11 AM, JimSraj said:

How can I join the GT14 club?

It's just a small pic we put in our signature line. You should own one of course and if you do, it's mandatory you post some pics!!

Just right click on the logo and save it, then go to your preferences and put it in your signature or info, forget what its called here. 

Randy