russellmc301

project Jr.

AMC RULES

$_12.JPG?set_id=2

:rolleyes:  I'm thinking...         :angry-extinguishflame:

the application of some heat might be your friend here. 

Edited by AMC RULES

Racinbob

They bend very easily. Mine were worse than that and they straightened up nice. Just bend away. :)

• Like 1

russellmc301

IMG_2137.JPG

how do i get rid of this to make it look like thisIMG_2134.JPG

this is the top part of the hoodand is mirror like. i have been useing maguiers compound and polish IMG_2136.JPG

this is the overall hood

IMG_2065.JPG

this is when the paint was dry before the clearcoat.

what do i do to to get it looking nice and not dull?

• Like 1

953 nut

Read over the "RJ -58 Project" thread that @Johndeereelfman has going, he has a lot of good information in there and is doing it right.

On 9/24/2016 at 6:52 PM, russellmc301 said:

can i sand it and then polish it

You need to wet sand it using 600 wet and dry paper, then go to 1200 wet and dry and continue wet sanding until it is flat and dull, then go to polishing compound with a low speed buffer. All of your wet sanding should be done using a sanding block and sanding in a diagonal overlapping patern so you won't leave tracks or flatten out rounded surfaces. Go on YouTube and watch a few videos of wet sanding to see what I am talking about.

• Like 1

russellmc301

i sanded  starting at 1000 then 1500 then 2000 i did everything you said to do. and i hand buffed it, so im taking i need to sand it more. ill see if i cant find anythng new in the rj thread to follow.

23 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

You need to wet sand it using 600 wet and dry paper, then go to 1200 wet and dry and continue wet sanding until it is flat and dull, then go to polishing compound with a low speed buffer. All of your wet sanding should be done using a sanding block and sanding in a diagonal overlapping patern so you won't leave tracks or flatten out rounded surfaces. Go on YouTube and watch a few videos of wet sanding to see what I am talking about.

• Like 1

Johndeereelfman

Russ, you'll need to wet sand that finish down until the paint is completely smooth, with no orange peel at all. Sorry Sir, but if you don't, you'll end up seeing it all again after you clear coat. Personally, I would wet sand your finish down with 800 grit paper. Allow to dry, then apply another coat of your red finish, trying to make the last coat as shiny as possible. Once that is dry, start applying your clear coats. Don't sand between coats. Once you have three or four coats of clear applied, let it dry for no less than a week. I found two weeks of drying time to be better, but that's just me. 

After the clear coat is dry, wet sand your parts with 2000 grit paper, making sure you have everything sanded smooth with no orange peel. When satisfied, start polishing with polishing compound. Buy yourself a buffer, as you will never be able to cut the clear coat by hand polishing. Trust me, I know from experience! ;)

• Like 1

russellmc301

cant i keep sanding and not have to restart. like sand with 1000 then go back up to rid of all the orange peel or add more clear coat after i sand away all the polish?

its just how perfect i got top part so i think i can sand and get the rest like that. but why is it so dull?

bmsgaffer

I think Troy was thinking that you did not have your clear coat down yet. If you don't mind a bit of orange peel, then just use cutting compound followed by polishing compound.

The most important part is that you cannot do it by hand you will need a dual action (safest but slow) or regular polisher (fastest, but chance to 'burn' the paint) to really get the shine out of the clear coat. But like Troy said, if you don't sand it back down to the color you will still see the orange peal, but it will at least be really shiny orange peal! (I.e. just not a mirror finish, which is plenty OK if you are OK with it!) :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

Johndeereelfman

One example Russ. If you look at the picture that you posted showing the polish bottle in the reflection (second picture down from the top) you can see, or at least I can, some orange peel that wasn't sanded out. If you have this part clear coated already, and try to buff that out with a buffing wheel and polishing compound, you will still those little areas through the clear coat. 

russellmc301

the whole hood has 4 coats of clear coat. so if i use a buffer it will get rid of the dull red around the back of the hood in picture 1?

Edited by russellmc301

Johndeereelfman

Sand the hood until all of the paint is the dull red. Then use the buffer to bring back the shine. Apply plenty of compound to your buffing wheel pad and make sure you're constantly moving the buffer around. Don't let it sit in one area too long or it will burn or blister the finish.

Believe it or not, the dull paint that you are seeing now, will turn shiny again if you are patient and don't rush it. 

Good Luck! 

Achto

One little tip when your buffing. Place masking tape on the sharp body lines while you are buffing the large areas. This will keep you from burning through the edges. After you have finished buffing the large areas remove the tape and carefully finish the sharper edges.

• Like 2

russellmc301

well i just sanded it a little bit them put 2-3 more coats of clear

it looks pretty good. i just clear coated to back wheels and hope i can start puting the tubes and tires back in. today

IMG_2176.JPG

this is as of about 2 weeks ago I'll get better pics today

• Like 4

AMC RULES

Looking really good so far Russ.  :clap:

• Like 1

russellmc301

IMG_2226.JPGIMG_2227.JPG

all ready to add the wheels which are in the geting painted and the back i need to remount with tubes. Any ideas on how to put them back on?IMG_2199.JPG 

can't find the before picture but the id plate cleaned up amazingly couldn't even read the wheel horse and now you can read the serial like it's new.

any helpful ideas on puting decals on?

• Like 2

AMC RULES

• Like 1

russellmc301

russellmc301

tommarow we will see if she livesIMG_2290.JPGIMG_2291.JPG

• Like 2

RedRanger

Looks really nice.  I'd clear coat the id plate to keep it looking nice.

• Like 2

russellmc301

i polished it and and that seems to put a nice protective coating on it.

RedRanger
1 hour ago, russellmc301 said:

i polished it and and that seems to put a nice protective coating on it.

Isn't it bare metal?  If so, it will tarnish again.

AMC RULES

:think:  So far...it's been over a year and a half...

IMG_3847.JPG

...no significant has formed on the hood, or seat of the Grater.  :handgestures-fingerscrossed:

IMG_6018.JPG

First...

Image result for mothers mag and aluminum polish 

...followed by.   :handgestures-thumbsup:

Related image

Edited by AMC RULES

russellmc301

she is now drivable

IMG_2294.JPGIMG_2296.JPGIMG_2295.JPG

• Like 1

jeff lary

very nice looks new again