Achto

Carburator Blues

Achto

Ever have one of those days when you feel like you shouldn't be around anything mechanical? My day was yesterday. My 1076 has been giving me trouble since this spring, ran great when I parked it last fall. It runs good up to 1/2 throttle, after that it acts like its running out of gas.I took the carb apart and every thing was squeaky clean, put it back together and it ran the same. New spark plug, no change. Cleaned the points with a dollar bill, no change. OK maybe not getting enough fuel to carb. Install new fuel pump, no change. Disapoitment! Deal with this later.

Float bowl gasket leaks on my 867 I'll fix that and have some sense of acomplishment for the day. I have a Kohler carb kit new in the bag so I'll change the needle and seat right away too. Clean every thing up install new needle & seat put every thing back together and turn the engine over. Now I have gas pouring out of the throat of the carb. Irratation! Tweak the tab on the float try again, still have gas pouring out of the carb. Tweak the float again same results, & again, & again. Getting angry now! It didn't do this before, put the old needle & seat back in, bend the float tab back down and try that. Again gas pours out of the throat of the carb. Tweak the tab on the float 3 more times, the last time I don't even know if the bowl coud even get more than 1/8" of gas in it. Still gas pours out the throat of the carb. Down right P.O.ed!!!

At this point I cleaned up my tools, put every thing away in the garage and went in the house where me & Captain Morgan proceeded to spend some quality time together. If any one has any ideas on either problem I would love to hear them. Thanks

tunahead72

I won't try to solve your mechanical problems right now, but I think we've all had days like that and felt some of those same emotions.  You did right to walk away when you did, and if you and Captain Morgan had to spend some time together, then so be it.

As my kids' former elementary school principal used to say, usually at the end of a phone conversation about some bit of mischief they'd been involved in, "tomorrow's another day".

Well, maybe I will try to help...  On your 1076, assuming you have a Kohler K241 engine, did you check the main fuel needle?  That needs to be really clean, including spraying it with some carb cleaner and poking out the tiny little holes along the shaft.  If any of those holes are clogged, it could cause the symptoms you describe.  Is the air filter clean?

• Like 3

WNYPCRepair

Make sure the float doesn't have a pin hole in it.

• Like 2

Tuneup

A Wheel Horse should not drive you to drink!

Have you tried running a gravity fuel feed (so the engine need not run) and removing the bowl? Hold the float closed to be sure that the needle is stopping the flow. Moving things around could have released some trash from the fuel line and she's not closing. In that your float level was not an original problem, adjusting it is treating the symptom and not the cause. When you find it, bring that float back to spec. Running it low means lean and that's not good for any air-cooled machine.

• Like 2

Achto
5 hours ago, Tuneup said:

A Wheel Horse should not drive you to drink!

Well this is Wisconsin, we don't usually look to hard for a reason to drink here. Didn't get trashed just had to step back settle down a bit.

I think I might take a look at things again tonight now that I've had some cool down time. Thanks to all for the ideas.

Edited by achto

Achto

I revisited my 867, what I found was the vent hole for the bowl had a bit of crud in it. Makes sense that it would push fuel up through the main jet if air could not escape the float bowl.

My 1076 is still not happy though, (I think she's jealous because she's not the only one anymore). I took the carb completely apart and cleaned it again, not that it looked like it needed it. Tried a few other things and still can not get it to run past 1/2 throttle. Going to try throwing some ignition parts at it next and see what happens. If that don't work then I might lean towards a sticky valve that is hanging up at higher speeds. Still open for suggestions on this one.

Tuneup

On that 10, if a gravity feed doesn't change anything, can you actually grab the throttle on the carb and rev it? Wondering if the governor is malfunctioning.

Achto
54 minutes ago, Tuneup said:

On that 10, if a gravity feed doesn't change anything, can you actually grab the throttle on the carb and rev it? Wondering if the governor is malfunctioning.

The throttle opens up like it is supposed to but the engine runs rough and does not want to stay running past half throttle. Kinda acts like it's running out of gas, or not firing all the time at high RPMs.

oldredrider

Sounds like it's in need of a new condenser. 

• Like 1

Achto

I will give that a try, Thanks!

Achto
13 hours ago, oldredrider said:

Sounds like it's in need of a new condenser.

I said I was going to start throwing ignition parts at my 1076 and thanks to oldrider's suggestion the first part I threw at it cured the problem. Now it runs as good as it looks again. That was close, she almost had to stay home from the first show of the year. Thank you all for your suggestions.

• Like 2