Ed Kennell

Windows 10

Ed Kennell

After asking if I wanted to upgrade my old W7 to the FREE W10 for about a year,  about two hours ago,  my old HP got tired of waiting for me and installed W10 without any prompting from me.

Of course RS was the first site I opened and everything seems to be working OK.   I do see a few new icons that I'll have to investigate.

Has anyone else experienced this automatic W10 upgrade?

• Like 1

JC 1965

Last week my grand daughter's desk top installed windows 10 after she had rejected it for several months. I have been getting message pop ups on my computer wanting me to upgrade to windows 10. It doesn't give me the option of saying I don't want it, just when do I want to update. I guess It's just a matter of time til it upgrades to windows 10 against  my will. What happened to having a choice of which windows I want on  my computer.    :confusion-confused: 

• Like 3

Ed Kennell

Looks like we are all losing our choices and being controlled.     

So far the only negatives I see is the start up seems to take longer and my C Cleaner has disappeared. 

The new voice command does not work, but I am not sure this old PC has a Mic.

nylyon

You can do searches on how to stop the automatic upgrade.  Keep in mind that XP is completely unsupported, Windows 7 mainstream support has expired and extended support will in 2020.  Especially with Windows, it's a good idea to keep up to date to insure that you are protected against the latest security risks.

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

I guess us old dogs are uneasy learning new tricks Karl.   I was comfortable with 7 and afraid 10 would require some training or be a fiasco like 8.  But the upgrade was totally automatic with very few changes to the operation.

• Like 1

rmaynard

I was totally bummed when I was forced to upgrade from MS-DOS to Windows. Now you're telling me that they are installing Windows 10 software on my computer without my permission?

What's next? :scared-eek:

• Like 2

WNYPCRepair

You can download GWX control Panel or Never10 to stop it. If it has already upgraded you can roll it back to Windows 7. Just Google Winfows 10 rollback. 

In on the other hand it is a very nice OS and if all your stuff works I would leave it. 

There is another program called Classic Start that will let you put the start menu back to a windows 7 style. 

Edited by WNYPCRepair
  • Like 2

RedRanger

Our home computer was prompting for W10 upgrade for the past 6 months.  Eventually it too began trying to auto install the new software without our permission.

It would begin, but get stuck prompting us to remove some of our McAfee and to completely remove Citrix.  Screw that.

After a half dozen auto attempts, it has since quit trying.

• Like 2

WHX??

I went to 10 on the laptop just to try and get used to it. It is a little different I think. Kinda like trying to learn a new smart phone. In the meantime I am going to hold off on my desktop as long as possible bus as coach says will have to do it at some point in time. In the meantime the Get Windows 10 upgrade icon is staring ominously at me down in the tray....

• Like 2

WNYPCRepair
1 minute ago, WHX61/3 said:

I went to 10 on the laptop just to try and get used to it. It is a little different I think. Kinda like trying to learn a new smart phone. In the meantime I am going to hold off on my desktop as long as possible bus as coach says will have to do it at some point in time. In the meantime the Get Windows 10 upgrade icon is staring ominously at me down in the tray....

You don't have to. The programs I mentioned will stop it. 

But, I think it is a good OS, you just have to turn off the invasion of privacy settings. Choose customize everywhere you can and turn off anything about sharing location, hotspots, upgrades, etc.

I just installed Windows 7 on an old laptop with a duo core T6500 processor. It's at the very bottom of the list of processors I would consider for Windows 7. It was OK, but a little slow. 

I had issues with updates, so I decided to upgrade it to Windows 10. The same laptop is way faster on Windows 10. 

• Like 2

JC 1965

The main problem with switching to windows 10 is I know there will be things I don't understand. Then I have to wait for my granddaughter to come over and get me squared away. I really hate to bother her with my computer problems because she just got her bachelor's degree and is busy looking for a job. You older guys know what I mean that learning computers don't come that easy for us.    :confusion-confused: 

• Like 3

rmaynard

I run a lot of programs on my computers that date all the way back to Win95. Most of them still work, but every time I am forced to upgrade to the next latest and greatest version of Windows, I fear I will no longer be able to use those programs. Once I have paid for software, I don't think it is right that I have to pay again to upgrade it just because MicroSoft thinks I need their latest operating system.

Ed Kennell
14 minutes ago, JC 1965 said:

The main problem with switching to windows 10 is I know there will be things I don't understand. Then I have to wait for my granddaughter to come over and get me squared away. I really hate to bother her with my computer problems because she just got her bachelor's degree and is busy looking for a job. You older guys know what I mean that learning computers don't come that easy for us.    :confusion-confused: 

I hear you JC....My puter  tecky is my 16 year old Grandson.    I called him with a heads up  when I realized W10 was being loaded on my lap top and I assumed I would need his help.

He said he would be up till 10:30 and to call him.   So far I haven't had to call him for help.  Everything seems to be working except my C Cleaner has disappeared and the start up is much slower.      I may take Brians advice and  try that CLASSIC START program to get back to W7 start up.

I do wonder if W10 is self cleaning or if I need to reinstall the C Cleaner to remove all the temporary files.

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair
52 minutes ago, rmaynard said:

I run a lot of programs on my computers that date all the way back to Win95. Most of them still work, but every time I am forced to upgrade to the next latest and greatest version of Windows, I fear I will no longer be able to use those programs. Once I have paid for software, I don't think it is right that I have to pay again to upgrade it just because MicroSoft thinks I need their latest operating system.

Windows 10 is pretty good, if it worked with Windows 7, it will probably work with 10, and if not, it's easy to roll back to 7. And it is free until July 1st or so

Ccleaner was probably not compatible if it disappeared, but a new download will probably  work. Ccleaner is a good utility, and if you know how to use it, it will work with 10 and will help keep it clean

http://ninite.com is a good place to find Classic Start and other software. Just check the programs, hit the download button at the bottom of the screen, and run the program it generates. It will install whatever you checked, and best of all, it won't install a bunch of junk with it. 

I also recommend unchecky (unchecky.com) to keep installers from installing crap you don't want, and adblock plus to stop ads from showing up on web pages

• Like 3

Ed Kennell

Thanks Brian for all your advice.   Do you have a link for Ccleaner that will load it w/o a bunch of ads?

WNYPCRepair
1 hour ago, Ed Kennell said:

Thanks Brian for all your advice.   Do you have a link for Ccleaner that will load it w/o a bunch of ads?

Unfortunately, no, but I think ccleaner stopped including toolbars. But, if you install Unchecky first, it will block any hitchhiking software that is included in most software.

Download ccleaner here.

C-101plowerpower
On 31-5-2016 at 2:43 AM, Ed Kennell said:

After asking if I wanted to upgrade my old W7 to the FREE W10 for about a year,  about two hours ago,  my old HP got tired of waiting for me and installed W10 without any prompting from me.

Of course RS was the first site I opened and everything seems to be working OK.   I do see a few new icons that I'll have to investigate.

Has anyone else experienced this automatic W10 upgrade?

yea ours did the same, even tho its said it can't update on its own. probably clicked something by accident

• Like 2

WNYPCRepair
59 minutes ago, C-101plowerpower said:

yea ours did the same, even tho its said it can't update on its own. probably clicked something by accident

It's nothing you did. Microsoft changed it to a critical update, which lets your PC install it automatically.  Their tactics to get this OS installed on as many PCs as possible act just like malware. There has been some talk of a class action suit starting

formariz

The same thing happened to me last week. I kept rejecting the offers to upgrade and then the "offers" started being in the form of a message saying that it would be scheduled for later that day. I kept just cancelling it and eventually I forgot to cancel one. Sure enough that night it changed my OS to windows 10. It is working fine but I am not really happy that they were able to really impose their will on me.

• Like 3

WHX??

So what I am  saying is Microsoft is getting too big for their britches...

• Like 3

rmaynard
2 hours ago, WNYPCRepair said:

It's nothing you did. Microsoft changed it to a critical update, which lets your PC install it automatically.  Their tactics to get this OS installed on as many PCs as possible act just like malware. There has been some talk of a class action suit starting

And this is why I set my computer to "ask first" before downloading and installing updates.

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair
1 hour ago, rmaynard said:

And this is why I set my computer to "ask first" before downloading and installing updates.

Except they also at one point had it set so that if you clicked the  to close it, it actually installed it. Supposedly they fixed that

rick

I have yet to change to Windows 10, in fact I may go to Apple. I know when I upgrade to a smartphone it will be an I phone.

can whlvr

my wife uses a I phone and is always having problems,as I type her phone is disabled,ill never use an I phone and ive had windows 10 for quite a while now,didnt like it at first but now I'm used to it

Wishin4a416

I too woke up this morning to a screen with no screen saver running and a Welcome to Windows 10. I was running 8.1