1031d

RM-484 questions

1031d

I'm a CASE guy, last fall we picked up a 1054 because the wife fell in love with it, and in the search for a mower deck we got a 953 with a deck and PTO and 2 other decks.  Got the 953 running but now we have some questions.  First off the deck on the 953 has a black knob just like the one on the belt tightener coming out of the left end of the belt cover, don't see it in the manuals, what is it?  Can't seem to get the deck to come off.  Also, the PTO pulleys wobble on the shaft, what books do I need to dig into that?  We have an 8hp 4 speed with a similar looking clutch, are clutch parts pretty interchangable?  1054 is on the left and 953 is on the right.

1054.953.jpg

• Like 2

953 nut

Looking at your 1054 I am thinking it may be a 1054A, 1965 model; no big difference other than the tires. If the PTO is wobbling you probably have a bent crank shaft. The crank on the 1054/9953 were 1 1/8". but the 8 HP is likely to be a 1". Take a look at these manuals, they will provide a lot of information.

1031d
22 hours ago, 953 nut said:

Looking at your 1054 I am thinking it may be a 1054A, 1965 model; no big difference other than the tires. 

Interesting, as there's quite a large gap in the serial numbers from the 953 and "1054"  The hood decals are gone, are there anything else that would give it away?  I'm going to pull the clutch off and put a dial indicator on the crank.

• Like 1

953 nut

If your serial number sticker is remaining it will be on the stand under the steering wheel above the shift pattern. 

There are no accurate records of serial numbers for any models, Gary has compiled numbers from members and here is a synopsis of the numbers.

The early production 953 would have a serial number like the one in the photo; range of 62-____1 to 62-_1000.

Later production 953 (still in '63) range from 3____ to 42___

1054 range 42___ to 49___

and 1054A 49___ to 50___

The 1054A had wider front tires (6.50 rather than 4.00) and wider turf rear tires. Hard to say what may have been changed over a half century of previous owners.

002.JPG

Edited by 953 nut
Wife was talking while I was typing, transposed numbers!