userj8670

sk 486 vs c160/1

userj8670

Looking at a new mower for my mother's property and was considering a big block beast!  What's the differences between these 3?  Is one better than another?  Would prefer manual to automatic...

Racinbob

No real difference. The C-161 will have a wobble mount engine. Personally I don't like that mount but you won't go wrong with any of them.:)

• Like 1

userj8670

Forgive me but what's the difference between the mounts?  I am not familiar with either? 

Also is one say a stronger tractor than another?   I was always with the impression it's the same tractor with different stickers?

Racinbob

The wobble mounts have rubber mounting spacers between the motor and frame. It was suppose to reduce the felt vibration but in my opinion made it worse and introduced other issues. It didn't take long before they went back to bolting the motor directly to the frame. I found out the SK-486 has a 4 pinion differential and 1" axles. The C series has 8 pinion and 1.125 axles. That does make a difference but I can assure you that the 4 pinion is one tough puppy. :)

rmaynard

I'd take the SK-486 due to the rarity factor. It was made from left over parts from several model years. The C-160 in my humble opinion, wins out over the C-161 due to the engine/engine mounting on the C-161. 

Edited by rmaynard
  • Like 1

cschannuth

All your choices are good tractor. Our '78 C-161 is still going strong and has had nothing done to it except regular maintenance since dad bought it new in '79. I did some rattle can to freshen it up. The old Briggs runs great and doesn't use or leak any oil. Except for some cracking, even the original tires are in good shape. 

Racinbob
2 hours ago, rmaynard said:

I'd take the SK-486 due to the rarity factor. It was made from left over parts from several model years. The C-160 in my humble opinion, wins out over the C-161 due to the engine/engine mounting on the C-161. 

I definitely agree on the C-160 over the C-161 for the very same reason. The 78 C-161 cschannuth is referring to is a twin cylinder if it has a Briggs. They also made a C-161 that year with a K-341. There is something cool about the SK-486 and unless you're going to make a puller out of it I wouldn't worry about the transmission.

userj8670

Sounds like a c160 is the way to go...now here's a curve ball......

A c160 or a raider 14?  Any difference besides the motor?  One bigger or stronger?

Racinbob

They are the same size tractor. The Raider may have a 10 pinion limited slip differential where the C-161 has an 8 pinion. The 8 pinion would be the preferred choice. The Raider may not have the front attach-a-matic but that can be added. :)