randyh

deck cutting height

randyh

I have my deck set to cut on the highest setting. It cuts too low.how can I get it to cut higher.what is the grass length supposed to be on the highest setting

WVHillbilly520H

Approximately 3"-3.5" on the high setting is normal on the 42" & 48" side discharge decks like on the 3/4/500 series tractors, unless your rear gauge wheels are worn out or the leveling linkage isn't adjusted correctly which you can find out the correct procedure in your owners manual or find your deck model # and download from the site here,Jeff.

• Like 1

Aldon

Taller tires on all 4 corners.

But then it only gains you half the increase and you may induce clearance issues with the deck hitting the tires. 

As mentioned, 3-3.5 is all I can get and its maxed. When on odd hills in turns, the deck vibrates the foot tread of the tractor. 

I have some ideas for raising the height on my next rebuild but it will take some custom work and experimentation with pulleys.

can whlvr

a very common prob with the horse decks,they cut low,i don't know how a person could ever cut on the low selection,youd be throwin sod out the deck like crazy

WVHillbilly520H
1 hour ago, can whlvr said:

a very common prob with the horse decks,they cut low,i don't know how a person could ever cut on the low selection,youd be throwin sod out the deck like crazy

That's for the putting greens...Or when it's time to reseed...though my old home I did mow most of my yard second one from lowest the rest on three my new home is like a reclaimed pasture field highest to middle no lower, but why waste gas snipping the top off the grass I have yet to kill it even though I might have tried, :-o,Jeff.

• Like 1

Row Cropper

I changed the rear guage wheels on my 48" deck from the stock 6" wheel to 7" after market wheels.  That is the largest wheels the deck will accommodate without making major modifications.  This gives enough lift to satisfy me and make a nice looking lawn.  I don't know what the measurement of the cut is, but it is better than the maximum achievable with the 6" wheels.

Redline69

Just want to bring this thread back for a bit.

I'm in the same boat, my old 416H, hydraulic lift, w/48 in deck is cutting too low for my liking. Especially here in the dry SW Ontario in the summer, I like to keep it a bit higher.

So looking it over, a lot of the linkage details have some wear.which could add up to a lot less deck height. The main hitch at the front has almost 3/8 wear between the front round deck bar and the latch( for lack of a better name. The lift rod,and the sliding deck linkage it goes into, both have wear. Front wheels and axles have wear. Short of rebuilding the whole deck mounting, I was wondering about a couple things.

I did this on my old 312-8 w42 in cut. I took the rear deck wheel adjuster off,and made a new slot above the last one. That gave me a new (higher) setting. I'll have to double check and see if there is room on the 48in deck rear wheel adjuster for this.

2ndly, when you remove that center access plate, that sits between your legs, down there in front is that threaded eyelet with the chain that lifts the arm, that lifts the deck. What if I tighten that down,and shorten the distance there? Would that help?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Redline69
add info

cleat

Talking about wear, make sure the deck is leveled properly.

Every deck I have gotten has been way too low in the front.

The front rollers should be well off the ground.

Front of center blade should be 1/4" to 1/8" lower than rear of outer blades.

I go closer to the 1/8" to keep deck fairly level.

This is done by cranking up the trunnion at the rear of the deck.

Manual states to do this at the center cut height position.

• Like 1

Redline69

I will double check that. Thanks Cleat.

skrusins

Beside 7in. gauge wheels I put a set of taller front tires(off a older WH) on my 300 series  

Redline69

OK, checked the deck for level the other day with a 1-2-3 gauge block, and it seemed to be out a bit. So I did some minor adjustment. (What a PITA process..lol).  But it seems to be cutting about the same. Still too low for my liking.

Think I'm going to have to look into some taller (7 inch?)  gauge wheels. Are they a Wheel Horse item?