Tuneup

Favorite Rear Tires 23-XX-12?

Tuneup

Hi everyone,

It's time to spoon on new ones for the rears. The two there now are cracked, tubes pushing through the tread and mismatched. I'd like an aggressive tread but not the very tempting ag tread since this is a lawn machine for the most part BUT will have to go up steep hills so conservative turf savers may not fit the bill. Thinking ATV - Carlisle All Trail 23x8x12.

So, what have y'all been able to do for an aggressive look and for performance without going nuts with spacing and other things? Mine is a 1980 C-125 Black Hood.

Thanks!

IMG_0330.jpg

scotty

I put 23x10.50-12 Deestone ag tires on my c-125. Fit without any issue.

Tuneup

Thanks, Scotty - an ag tire is so tempting and I'd like to run the 10.5 Deestones - they rate at 9.6" and with that under seat tank and bracketing I'd have to widen the track at least a 1/2". Would like to, really.

Forest Road

I run the Deestone Ag as well. Think it's 10.5 width. No problems and they haven't torn anything up. I really appreciate them on a couple steep hills I have to mow. Especially when the grass is wetS there's no substitute for traxtion! 

Tuneup

North Jersey? I grew up in Morris County and lived there and in Warren until 37. Down here in GA since. As I said, those ags are so tempting and eBay had a sale so the 10.5s are in the mail. All I have to do is move those blasted hubs out 3/4" and that won't be fun. Broke them when pulling them for the trans repair.

Thanks all for making up my mind!

rmaynard

I run what Wheel Horse originally put on. In the case of most of mine, it's Carlisle Turf Saver, 23x8.50-12.

Tuneup

I have a small yard - actually had a very nice Simplicity hydro from the early 90s I left up in NJ on the 2 acres. Here, it's 150 x 150 so the 42" deck is overkill. Still, the yard is oddly inclined so the tires it now has slip. One is a Carlisle Turfer. The ags may tear it up but she's not going to be the main mower, considering her size. I might have to move to a larger lot.

Ah, since I already had the hubs off once, the puller made an easy show of backing them out 0.6 inches. 0.75 just seemed too much. I'll add a spacer if it has to go further. Can't wait for these tires!

WVHillbilly520H

Actually AG tires DON'T tear up the grass/yard as you/one would assume yes they "bite in" but since you have good traction they don't loose it as fast as turf tires which spin out faster and leave more/worse spots in the yard like in the picture, don't have this issue with my original 520 with AG tires but with my latest 520 with Turfs and weights on both, my :twocents-02cents:,Jeff.

1464545572497.jpg

• Like 5

Don1977
20 hours ago, Tuneup said:

I have a small yard - actually had a very nice Simplicity hydro from the early 90s I left up in NJ on the 2 acres. Here, it's 150 x 150 so the 42" deck is overkill. Still, the yard is oddly inclined so the tires it now has slip. One is a Carlisle Turfer. The ags may tear it up but she's not going to be the main mower, considering her size. I might have to move to a larger lot.

Ah, since I already had the hubs off once, the puller made an easy show of backing them out 0.6 inches. 0.75 just seemed too much. I'll add a spacer if it has to go further. Can't wait for these tires!

Moving the hubs out is not a good idea as the Woodruff Keys are round the set screw should center the key.  Once the hub is moved out the set screw will push the key down on the end and make it impossible to keep the hubs tight. Wheel spacers is a better idea. Worn hubs and axle key ways can get expensive fast.

Cheetah

I just seen that Carlisle came out with a new tire (at least I hadn't seen them before last night). They're called Turf Smart. Kinda looks like a cross between the Turf Master and Turf Saver....

Edited by Cheetah
speeling

Cheetah

:roll:

JoeM

Tried all ways, ag, atv and super turf. I found when the ground is soft in the spring the ag tire will sink in and tear up if not careful. I mow on some very aggressive slopes and the atv tire have been the best. They do the best job of not sliding when crossing horizontally. The one thing that worked and I overlooked in the beginning is tire pressure. I was putting the recommended max pressure that was on the side wall causing the center of the tire to bulge. I have since reduced this to 15 lbs. so the contact area of the entire tire tread is on the ground. I wet the concrete and drove through the water then looked at the tread contact pattern. Adjusted the air accordingly. Traction greatly improved. Plus the ride is much better.

I run these all trails on my 520 in the pic. I did install motor cycle chains on front tire to improve steering on the hill and to keep the front from sliding on the slopes.

520H with hiller attatched.jpg

• Like 2

Tuneup

Wonderful post, thanks! The All Trails look as good as I thought they would. Yeah, inflation pressure is key - agreed.

• Like 1

RedRanger

I second the All Trails as an all around tire.  I've been running them for two years now.

WVHillbilly520H

If only MY ATV tires came the correct sizes...Jeff

Edited by WVHillbilly520H

Phatboy

Yea that is the same tire pressure i use also 15lbs on my AG's all the way around ,, no worries with me tearing up the grass no hills yard is flat and drains water extremely well so is never really soft..

Tuneup

Dang! The only way to do it right is to get another Horse so I can have the ags on one and ATV n the other. Maybe....soon.

• Like 1

JoeM

I know, got to have a specialty wheel horse!

23x10.50-12 Kenda Terra Trac looks interesting, never used those but price seems right on evil bay.

• Like 1

Eric C
17 hours ago, oiluj52 said:

I know, got to have a specialty wheel horse!

23x10.50-12 Kenda Terra Trac looks interesting, never used those but price seems right on evil bay.

I have the Kenda Terra Tracs. I'm very happy with them.