Upper Canada

To buy or not to buy?

Upper Canada

I have a chance to buy a Commando 800 with a flatbed trailer for $500.  My concern is the capabilities of the Commando 800.  I know this was considered an "economy" Wheel Horse.  I am looking to add another horse for driveway grooming.  The price is right to me but I think this horse is best suited for mowing duty only.  The trailer I am unsure of what kind but could it possibly be a :wh: snowmobile trailer.  Other factor is that it is a 2-1/2 hour drive each way to get it.

ad_1464381651380.jpg

• Like 4

Amcwheel85

I'd give $500 for that... And it's basically just like any other horse as it has the same rear and the 8hp can do almost anything you ask of it. Big diff is that has shorter back tires... That I know of

• Like 2

elcamino/wheelhorse

My father bought a Commando 800 in 1972 with a 37" SD , clevis hitch on the rear so he could use the Brinly plow and disc he bought at the same time. He plowed and disc the garden every year and mowed about 3/4 acre until his death in 1991 when it came to me. I used it until about 2009 when the motor died.(It is still sitting under tarps waiting  for some TLC so it can go back to working ) . We never had a problem with it . It was a real work horse.  I would buy it if I were you.:twocents-02cents:

• Like 6

KC9KAS

@Upper Canada Sounds like everybody is in favor of you making the purchase.

If you are just going to push snow, you can put larger tires on it.

Larger tire may be a problem with the mowing deck though.....

• Like 1

DougC

I'd go for it if it was meeee.    :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 3

Upper Canada

Not for pushing snow.  I have a brinly box scraper with cinderblock on it for weight.  I am also looking into a rj58 by the looks of it from what I can tell.  But it is almost double the price of the commando.  It is good condition for its age and all original.  Price seems a bit steep to me on the rj58 but I could be wrong.

Edited by Upper Canada

Racinbob

Run, don't walk. That's a great deal. The Commando 800 is a tough little bugger just like it's bigger siblings. Here's one I restored years ago for my grandson and it's still going strong today. The rear wheels/tires are 22-7.50 12 from a 76 B-80 I converted to a C-160. Same goes for the seat set up. No problem clearing the mower deck (36" RD) KC9KAS :)

DSCN0288.JPG

• Like 4

Upper Canada

Well I have decided to go buy the Commando 800 today.  I will update this thread later today about it and of course will add pictures.

• Like 3

dells68

Good move!  Now, :wwp:!

• Like 1

Tankman

Excellent Horse of course! Owned one years ago, did everything I asked of it.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

Upper Canada

The Commando 800 is now home and in the stable with the others!  Been a long day.  On the road for over 5 hours just driving.  I will be going over it tomorrow after that thing called work is done!  Will post pics tomorrow.

• Like 3

Amcwheel85

Good choice!! Can't wait to see more pics!

Retired Wrencher

It is just like the first gen Wheel Horse 8 then  B-80 and so on. There great little tractors. does lots of work especially with the 8 speed. Enjoy it.  

TDF5G

I've got a '77 B-80 I've used for 22 years mowing, pushing snow and other duties.  It's a tough little horse.  It has the 8" front & 12" rear wheels.

CasualObserver

Looking forward to the pictures.  And sorry, although that does look like it's a snowmobile trailer, it's not :wh: Several parts of the construction are different..

• Like 1

muz123

can't wait for pics! Sounds like a good deal! 

Upper Canada
14 hours ago, CasualObserver said:

Looking forward to the pictures.  And sorry, although that does look like it's a snowmobile trailer, it's not :wh: Several parts of the construction are different..

Not a :wh: trailer but a good little flatbed yard trailer.  It is actually road worthy.  I do have another snow mobile trailer and figured out that is is a Massey Ferguson snowmobile trailer from the 70's.

I have went over the Commando 800.  Overall in good shape.  Looks like it is original paint.  Little bit if rust here and there.  The rear discharge deck has a few holes near the front wheel but nothing I cannot fix easily.  They are no bigger than a dime.  The pto clutch needs to be replaced or resurfaced.  The rear tires may be original as they have wheel horse logo on them.  They are cracking but still hold air....must have tubes in them.  It runs great and mows grass.  I should say mowed grass.....the drive belt for the outer blades disintegrated on it.  I have new belt on order. 

I still haven't taken pics yet but will do it by the weekend.  Just been too busy.....work gets in the way.

Edited by Upper Canada
  • Like 1