WHX??

Cutting Throttle/Choke Cables

WHX??

I've got a boat load of these laying around that I was thinking I could re-purpose by cutting them down for shorter applications. Is there a good way to cut the outer sheath with out damaging the wire inside? Some I can take the wire out, some I can't. Also some have the plastic covering on some don't.

• Like 1

OHRob72

I used a hack saw to score the metal cover all the way around and then bent the cover back and forth until it snapped off. I then filed the rough edge to smooth it out. Then cut the cable to the length needed. I imagine that a Dremel with a cutting wheel will work too.

• Like 5

WHX??

Thanks Rob... I though of the dremel and I do have one but with my twenty thumbs & matching luck I might slip and cut the inner too!!:lol:

Edited by WHX61/3

OHRob72

I thought about it too but I was too lazy to try to find where I put it so I used the hack saw that was on the shelf next to me instead.  It is a lot easier to control the depth with the hacksaw!! It is more time consuming but it will get the job done without cutting the cables. Good luck.

• Like 2

wallfish

Pull the wire out, cut the conduit, re-insert the wire. It's a good time to clean and lube the wire too.

What kind does not allow the cable to be removed?

Edited by wallfish
  • Like 6

Aldon

I pull the wire back through about 6 inches or so, then use cutoff or dremel to cut off to approximate length. Then slide wire back into position. I usually end up making a second cut as the length is way too long to route well the first time to make an accurate attempt.

• Like 6

WHX??

I never did explain John @wallfish... the one i wanted to use had a preformed bend on each end.. just cut the one off and pull it through ...my duh :teasing-dunce:

• Like 1

WHX??

Now that is downright nifty Jason... looks like it puts  the double 90's right on the cable for hooking on levers? I alsways used a needle nose but that wire can be stubborn, breaks and looks pretty crude. And you can get these with it!! Do you know how many strange looks I get at the hardware store when I try to explain these??

61YCfyIySqL__SL1100_.jpg

7 minutes ago, CasualObserver said:

you're going to want to cut the inside anyway... otherwise, why shorten the sheath!?

Yeah real dumb of me :hide:

those pliers just got put on my wish list!

• Like 3

Aldon

I bought a set of Z BEND PLIERS. One of those purchases I stand in amazement and wonder why in hades I waited so long to buy the right tool for the job. Love mine as well if I hve to spell it out:-)

• Like 5

Racinbob

I definitely will be getting a pair of those pliers. I was looking at them on Ebay and ran across these. Never saw them before but if you wanted or needed the adjust-ability they would be nice. :)Z bend connectors.jpg

• Like 5

wallfish
2 hours ago, Racinbob said:

I definitely will be getting a pair of those pliers.

Me too.

This is the type of Z bend tool I've always used but the pliers look like they make a nice sharper bend.

bender.jpg

• Like 5

JimD

Where did you guys but those tools if I may ask? :)

Aldon

From Amazon

WHX??

Walmart Jimmy D....'Fish said he would take you there to get a pair if Van could tag along to get a new speedo.....:ROTF:

• Like 1

Retired Wrencher
On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 1:22 PM, wallfish said:

Pull the wire out, cut the conduit, re-insert the wire. It's a good time to clean and lube the wire too.

What kind does not allow the cable to be removed?

John I saw a tool one time that you can bend the cable. In that L shape.  I have not seen this in a while. Also U tube video how to do with good needle nose plyers.

• Like 1

Retired Wrencher
17 hours ago, CasualObserver said:

If you're cutting the ouside sheath of the cable shorter... you're going to want to cut the inside anyway... otherwise, why shorten the sheath!?  Save yourself all hassle.... cut the off one z bend, pull the wire out a little... cut the sheath, then get a pair of these..... bend the raw wire end in the right direction and never have to fight stupid twisty cable hookups again. LOVE mine.

https://www.amazon.com/Hangar-9-Z-Bender-Pliers-HAN119/dp/B0006OBMJI/ref=sr_1_1?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1468513893&sr=1-1&keywords=z+bend+pliers

zbenderpliers.JPG

RC plane guys use them to make their own control rods.

Jason. I Just  bought one Thanks I look at the video on U tube. Easy pezzzzse. No more hassling with plyers and needle nose. Thanks

Edited by T1257 RETIRED WRENCHER.
  • Like 1

CasualObserver
3 hours ago, T1257 RETIRED WRENCHER. said:

Jason. I Just  bought one Thanks I look at the video on U tube. Easy pezzzzse. No more hassling with plyers and needle nose. Thanks

Hope you have a junk throttle cable laying around.... you're going to practice when you get it.... trust me!  I threw away a couple of little stair stepped wires after I got them!  I'd imagine in a couple days this thread will be back at the top when all you guys get the pliers and come back to say "why the heck did I wait so long to find this tool?" ;) I fought for years with the needlenose/vicegrips and such, then looked at the cheap z-bender tool... thinking I'd get one... but then I saw a set of these and had to have them. one pinch, perfect z-bends. B) Never regretted the purchase.

11 hours ago, JimD said:

Where did you guys but those tools if I may ask? :)

I got mine off Amazon, but you should be able to find them at a local hobby shop too. The kind that deals in radio control aircraft and such.

Those other kind like John posted the pic of are available by order at jacks small engines or tulsa engine warehouse.... or probably your local auto parts store. Tulsa Engine (tewarehouse.com) has three listed... Stens part number 750-455. Oregon part number 42-455 and off-brand 95-2061.... same tool at three different prices!  All cheaper than the pliers, but I think the pliers are worth the extra few bucks. Easier to make a bend in the exact direction you want.

• Like 2

JimD

Thanks Jason! :handgestures-thumbupright:

Tankman
19 hours ago, wallfish said:

Me too.

This is the type of Z bend tool I've always used but the pliers look like they make a nice sharper bend.

bender.jpg

Same bender in my tool box. Not used too often but kind of nice to have just in case. Were I a mower repair shop the pliers would be hangin' up on my wall.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

Edited by Tankman

WHX??
3 hours ago, JimD said:

Thanks Jason! :handgestures-thumbupright:

:text-yeahthat:

Retired Wrencher
21 hours ago, CasualObserver said:

Hope you have a junk throttle cable laying around.... you're going to practice when you get it.... trust me!  I threw away a couple of little stair stepped wires after I got them!  I'd imagine in a couple days this thread will be back at the top when all you guys get the pliers and come back to say "why the heck did I wait so long to find this tool?" ;) I fought for years with the needlenose/vicegrips and such, then looked at the cheap z-bender tool... thinking I'd get one... but then I saw a set of these and had to have them. one pinch, perfect z-bends. B) Never regretted the purchase.

I got mine off Amazon, but you should be able to find them at a local hobby shop too. The kind that deals in radio control aircraft and such.

Those other kind like John posted the pic of are available by order at jacks small engines or tulsa engine warehouse.... or probably your local auto parts store. Tulsa Engine (tewarehouse.com) has three listed... Stens part number 750-455. Oregon part number 42-455 and off-brand 95-2061.... same tool at three different prices!  All cheaper than the pliers, but I think the pliers are worth the extra few bucks. Easier to make a bend in the exact direction you want.

Jason I bought mine off of E-Bay because I do everything there one stop & shop. Amazon was cheaper buy a buck. And yes I do have a few of those junk cables laying around. I think our hobby just got a little easer. Take Care.

Edited by T1257 RETIRED WRENCHER.