TunaSlayet

Power flow/48" deck Rock Guard

TunaSlayet

So this all started with a 2nd hand 48" deck and power flow set up. The deck is a 1997, and is in very nice condition. I have read most of the posts about the power flow, and found a member that added a rock guard, and decided to try my hand. With the help of rexymouse, we fabbed a nice guard that served two purposes. It sealed the giant crack in the blower housing, and provides future protection against impacts. We used 3m 5200 to seal the whole deal up. I also por15 coated the underside, with fresh belts and blades. Going to give it a try tonight!! Anyway, I thought this was a half decent fix for anyone with the broken blower bringin them down. I'll post some more pics tonight of everything mounted. Thanks again to all the great members on this site for another fix. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

cleat

That is a giant cover, looks good and should really protect the bottom of the blower housing.

I like your acorn nuts, they add a touch of class.

Your deck looks to be in great shape, let us know how the Por15 holds up.

• Like 1

TunaSlayet

Thanks! The nuts that came off were ground down from dragging, so I thought the acorns might help. Here it a installed. Just cut the grass, and I have to say, it give a very nice cut. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpg

• Like 2

cleat

Yard and tractor look good.

The boot / gasket where the tube passes into the bagger hood looks to be good as well.

Mine was torn up a bit so I made up a new one from EPDM and it tore up right away.

I guess I should order one from Toro.

JAinVA

TunaSlayet,

I have heard good things about Por 15 on mower decks.Let us know how well it works,please.JAinVA

c-series don

That 3M 5200 is the best sealant/adhesive on the market. After the back window of my daughters convertible fell out professional glass and automotive people told me I need a new top! Then a marine mechanic friend of mine recommended 5200. I listened to him and 4 years later the glass is still hanging in there by the 5200. It's not cheap stuff, but it's worth it. 

• Like 1

MalMac

Great idea on the Rock gaurd. I will offer this tad bit of advise. On mine I have caught the unseen rock occasionally and have had them blow out and tear a hole in the blower housing. I did replace the housing once. This past year I had a rock that got flipped up when a anti scalp roller slid over it. The rock the size of a golf ball  blew out of the housing and right up past my head. Even bent one of the impeller blades. I tore everything apart and straighten the impeller and patch the hole and put a steel plate all the way up to meet the tube. Your gaurd looks great but you might consider extending it on up. Those blower have got more throwing power than one would think.

• Like 1

TunaSlayet

The only downside to 5200 is removing it. When the tube say "permanent", it means it. The only pieces I still need to complete the job is the correct belt(ordered one for a 42" deck if anyone needs one) and the rubber latch that secured the chute to the blower. I did notice the blower had a little bounce to it. It may be from the worn belt. Gonna see if there is any way to get rid of that. The blower is a huge difference. Sucked mulch (from a bed) from the left side of the deck right into the bag. Very impressed so far. Anyway, thanks for the responses, and happy mowing season to all. Never even thought to extend it up. I will probably see how long I can nurse this one, and extend it if I blow more hole. It is impressive how much suction is generated, stood the grass right up! Do you have any pictures of the guard you made MalMac? Curious to see. Made mine out of 16ga on the round part, and 1/4" on the flat gusset.

Edited by TunaSlayet

MalMac

Sorry no pics. Won't be to where I have stored at for awhile. I use it for fall cleanup only. The plate I put on just starts toward the bottom and continues up toward the Shute. It covers up the holes that were put in it plus helps protect the operator. I don't know what the RPM of that impeller is but it's got some force behind it to be able to blow holes through that housing with anything you might accedently pick up. It sure got my attention.

Tankman

Looks great! Great setup worth your time and efforts.

Very nice cleanup!  :handgestures-thumbupright: