Uncle Buck

Long frame tractors

Uncle Buck

So which models or years are considered long frame? I assume a sickle mower for a long frame would never fit a short frame is that correct?

Racinbob

With reservations, yes, a sickle bar mower will fit a long or short frame. The rear mounting bracket will slide in and out. But there are other considerations. If you tell us the model numbers we could be more specific. :)

Uncle Buck

Thank you for the reply. I have not decided for sure what horse I would like to mount this to but I think my 857 might be the most logical candidate. By choice I would hang it on my 633 if I could. I also have a 68 Lawn Ranger and a yet to be determined RJ or Suburban that is still in a very tough way. I would not consider either of the last two machines logical candidates for this attachment.

The Sickle Bar is 50" long and either a 7-1312, or a 7-1311. I do not recall which. I intend to go look at this weekend. It is quite rusty and has been outside for some years from the appearance. Also the seller indicated that some of the belt pulley or mounting hardware might be missing which is a huge red flag to my thinking. I can deal with some fabrication but I do not profess to being a master machinist or fabrication man. I think I might really have a tough time coming up with any missing bits and pieces for this attachment if that is the case.

Honestly, prospect is not looking promising right now.

Racinbob

Well....both of those do indicate that they are for a long frame. The one I had was an older model and that rear bracket could be slid in and out to accommodate long or short frames. . From the parts list it looks like the 1311 and 1312 will do the same but I can't be sure without seeing them. They state long frame but I'd be close to betting that they could be easily adapted to a shorty I had mine on a early to mid 60's but I don't remember what model for sure but it was like your 633. It did great. I put a large wheel weight on the left rear which helped a lot. :)

WHX??

Interesting @Racinbob I saw on the manual download page where it was for long frames. Now that I have had time to play with my new to me 1311 I am going to try to fit it to an 857.

• Like 1

Thegearhead0324

My WH 1257 is a long frame and got a 1312 on it. Fit like a glove.

WHX??

Funny you should mention that @Thegearhead0324 as that might be my 2nd choice...my 1257! Except that my 1257 is supposed to be my plow tractor, the 857 has the mid mount blade on it ...may have to get another tractor for it! :)

• Like 3

Thegearhead0324

I love my 1257. Something about the longer hood and frame that I enjoy sitting on. I only had a 54" plow I restored for it so I thought I'd dedicate it for snow with chains. But then a gentleman reached out to me in the want ad on here and drove a long ways for the sickle bar mower. After taking off the dozer assembly and hooking up the sickle, I told myself yep it's staying on there. 

• Like 1

ACman
7 hours ago, WHX11 said:

Funny you should mention that @Thegearhead0324 as that might be my 2nd choice...my 1257! Except that my 1257 is supposed to be my plow tractor, the 857 has the mid mount blade on it ...may have to get another tractor for it! :)

About that I heard you gave @stevasaurus a gift for missing the show  ... :occasion-xmas: with hydraulics ! That would be fun with a grader blade .

Better grab it before he lays claim to it ... :ychain: !

Edited by ACman
  • Like 2

WHX??

Lol Jeff..on the gift I just gave credit where credit was due....more to come on that I'm sure!

I hear you Gear... much as I love my shorts thers just something about looking down that hood! :greetings-clappingyellow:....sides the 1257is one of the best running tractors I have!

• Like 2

Sarge

7-slot long hoods , can't beat 'em , especially when it's a wood grained hood model - that is an elegant , hard working machine...

It is so tempting to have a Horse for each implement , but here storage is a problem , especially with the big D - which is about the opposite of elegant , more like "brute force" .

Sarge

• Like 4

953 nut
10 hours ago, Sarge said:

tempting to have a Horse for each implement

Need one for each implement and a second mounted mower as a back-up plus at least one without an implement to do the show ground and flea market Kursing!

• Like 3