Jsig

Eaton 1100

Jsig

Hey new guy here. I just bought a 417a with an eaton 1100. The motion control would work in disengage and engage mode. Just changed the drive belt and now it only moves in engage mode. Can anyone tell me which is correct? 

Thanks

daveoman1966

You need to use the OEM belt # 7473.  Anything less than that will not perform the way it should.  In the 'Park' mode, the OEM belt will lift up off of the engine pulley just a few whiskers....enough so that the belt does NOT drive the trans or pump pulley.  That is your problem...the belt yo0u have does NOT release far enough away from the engine pulley  

• Like 2

Jsig

Thanks for the reply. I used a toro 108501. So the transmission should make the tractor move in engage and disengage mode with the correct belt? 

Jsig

Yes i wasnt sure if that was a problem or not. The old belt would push agaist the pully enough to make the tractor move at full speed while disengaged.  Now it wont move at all in disengage mode. So i guess thas a good thing. Thanks. Also the lever shakes and rattles like crazy. Is there an adjustment for that or is it normal? 

• Like 1

daveoman1966

The linkage develops slop and wear after 30+ years.....whodathunkit.  Here is what I did to eliminate the rattle on my similar Bronco 14.  

spring 002.JPG

• Like 1

daveoman1966

108501 is 81".  The 7473 belt is 82".  Believe it or not, that 1" makes a difference.

Digger 66
2 hours ago, Jsig said:

Hey new guy here.

Hi new guy .

Welcome to Red Square !

squonk
On 5/25/2016 at 5:42 PM, Jsig said:

Yes i wasnt sure if that was a problem or not. The old belt would push agaist the pully enough to make the tractor move at full speed while disengaged.  Now it wont move at all in disengage mode. So i guess thas a good thing. Thanks. Also the lever shakes and rattles like crazy. Is there an adjustment for that or is it normal? 

I take mine to a friend who cuts off the worn pivot pin and welds on a new one then he welds shut the worn pivot hole and drills a new one.

Edited by squonk
  • Like 1

MalMac

I also believe that they came out with a service bulletin a fix on the rattling of the disconnect. It was listed here on RS somewhere, because this subject has come up before.

gwest_ca
20 minutes ago, MalMac said:

I also believe that they came out with a service bulletin a fix on the rattling of the disconnect. It was listed here on RS somewhere, because this subject has come up before.

Perhaps you are thinking of this one. A bit older but may still apply.

Garry

• Like 1

MalMac

I knew you would step in. Thanks

squonk

They get worn enough, those wave washer don't do diddly poo! :)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• the jeep driver
      By the jeep driver
      My daughter was using the Wheel Horse rider to mow, I was push mowing.  She drives over to me and says, "Dad, the blades aren't turning." I look at the mower, she's got the blades engaged (lever forward) but nothing is moving.  I disengage the blades, and re-engage... nothing.  No movement from the belt nor clutch.  Then I notice the smell, and look closer, the belt is so hot is melting on the clutch.  Or rather, the clutch is so hot it's melting the belt.  Melting occurred. 

While the clutch is disengaged, I can spin the clutch freely; and whilst it's engaged, it won't move. 

So, what did I do now?  Peter told me to lube that needle bearing, but I couldn't find a write up/how to anywhere, so I was putting it off until after the leaves were done falling in the Fall.  I haven't taken anything off yet, other than the pins that hold the pinion and such, and the little brake pad.  I see there are two snap rings, assume they come off, and then the assembly slides out as a whole? 

Some pictures of the clutch, can anyone tell if it's usable from them?

• the jeep driver
      By the jeep driver
      I have a 1985 Wheel Horse 417A 31-17KE01.  When I pull up the lever to disengage the drive, the belt will continue to move erratically (slow, speed up, repeat.)  I've attached a couple of pictures, and have a one minute video showing how it's operating... (this is a OneDrive link, if it's not working someone please let me know.)  I wish I could provide more info in my post, but I don't know enough about what's occurring here to do so.

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AsmNVhojMf_GqAHdTKh3d5-0uFVI?e=30SyhH

• the jeep driver
      By the jeep driver
      Hello.  I have a 1985 Wheel Horse 417A 31-17KE01.  A hydraulic line has blown, and I need help identifying the transmission or more specifically the hos part number.  The part diagrams I found online are not listing a hose part number, or the diagram links are dead. Here is the best one I've found, but again, no hose part number.
      https://www.jackssmallengines.com/jacks-parts-lookup/manufacturer/toro/riding-products/1985/31-17ke01-417-a-garden-tractor-1985/automatic-transmission-400-series
      I think the transmission is the 400 Series, basing this guess on the lack of an oil filter in the 300 Series diagram.  
      I've taken some pictures.... rear of the tractor, circles indicate where the hose was attached. 
      At the front, under the battery tray.
      The hose; if I stretch it out, it measures 27" (if the fitting was still attached.) 
      Thanks in advance for the help! 

• yngliver
      By yngliver
      Hello!
      Last year I picked up a 312-H with a SD deck, plow, blower and tiller and she's been really hit or miss.  I needed a lawnmower and wanted the tiller, so it fit the bill (the blower was a separate score for $40 at a yard sale!).  It's fine for me, but my fiance has a heck of a time getting it going and I've been fixing this and that all year. We have 5 acres and it gave me some guff with the taller grass but in general mowed and tilled just fine. I just got the blower going today and it's pretty great, my only issues are with traction (ag tires and wheel weights) I've been in the market for a rear discharge deck as well for use with a lawn sweeper.
      So I have been keeping an eye out for something else, maybe with some more power for the tiller and the blower.  I came across a 417a today near me.  He said I could have it with a rear discharge deck for $550.  I think the price is fair, the power seems good and the deck is a bonus.  This seems like it would make the lady happy too with the constancy of it starting and working for her.

So I ask you on this forum, what do you think about the 417a vs what I have.  I figure I could sell off the 312-h, or keep it and have two tools hooked up for different tasks. I don't exactly have $500 to throw around so i am weighing the benefits that I might get which is why I am asking here.  What do you think about the tractor?  Any input is great, thanks.
    • kcuttuck
      By kcuttuck
      Will a belly mount mower deck from a 417a fit on a c121?