olddude

520 H deck pulley removeal

olddude

I don't guess there is a easy way to remove a spindle pulley from a 520H deck. I have all sorts of pullers but I don't have anything that will grab it without destroying it. I was wondering if I threaded the two holes in the top of the pulley and then used a couple bolts to screw in those holes pushing against the spindle bolts to push it off would work.

daveoman1966

If you deck DOES NOT use the Woodruff Key in the spindle pulley(s)......

1)Take all 3 blades off of deck. 

2)Set all 3 spindles into the hollow of three 1/2 a cement blocks, on a hard level surface. 

3)Remove top grease zerk and large nut from subject spindle.

4)Hold double-head BRASS HAMMER on top of spindle shaft. (Brass ball-peen hammer or similar)

5) With LARGE HAMMER  (2-3 LB), VI0LENTLY and AGGRESSIVELY....SMACK that brass hammer with the BFH.

6) Don't be bashful....hit it HARD the 1st time and it should drive the shaft down thru the spindle

7) Do NOT hammer directly onto the top of the spindle shaft....you will ruin it.

DougC

I just had 2 of mine off my 48" deck to replace the spindle bearings. I used 2 angled pry bars  ( The really cheap ones from Harbor Freight. )  soak spindle and pulley area with WD 40 and wait a while. I then slid  the pry bars between the deck and bottom of pulley on opposite sides and rocked back and forth a few times and off popped the pulley. One was stubborn and the center one gave me no trouble. I had to straighten the edges of the pulleys where the pry bars bent them slightly with a few blows of a ball peen hammer. This is how I did mine. I am not saying this is the approved method but it worked for me anyhoo.    :twocents-02cents:

wrightorchid

How do you identify if it has woodruf keys before you try to take it apart?  I have a 42" deck on a 312 and one on a 520 and need to do the same thing.

daveoman1966

take the nut off of the top of the spindle shaft.  You should be able to see the pulley center.  If there is a little square notch in the pulley center, then yours is using the woodruff key.  If there isn't a notch, then your doesn't use the keyway. 

• Like 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

Dave , What is the best way to remove the pulley if it has a woodruff key ?

daveoman1966

Those pulleys with a woodruff key USUALLY have a 'rim" on the top edge of the pulley...at least the side pulleys do.  This 'rim' is used to pull off the pulley by using a Power Steering Pump Pulley Remover Tool that is available ON LOAN... from Auto Zone.  You pay for the tool when you take it, then get a 100% refund upon return.

Here is a look-alike pulley... this is for the 42" side disch mower deck.  ps... if you need these pulleys, lemme know.

106072a (1).JPG

elcamino/wheelhorse

Thanks for the information, just an FYI you can purchase the power steering pump pulley Removal tool from HF . I think I paid about $19.00 for mind has a wide variety of sizes. Dave Again thanks for your information it is very helpful. I have a 42 deck I bought for parts I need to take a look at it to see if I need any pulleys. I am going to print this and keep in my :wh: info. note file.

olddude
17 hours ago, daveoman1966 said:

If you deck DOES NOT use the Woodruff Key in the spindle pulley(s)......

1)Take all 3 blades off of deck. 

2)Set all 3 spindles into the hollow of three 1/2 a cement blocks, on a hard level surface. 

3)Remove top grease zerk and large nut from subject spindle.

4)Hold double-head BRASS HAMMER on top of spindle shaft. (Brass ball-peen hammer or similar)

5) With LARGE HAMMER  (2-3 LB), VI0LENTLY and AGGRESSIVELY....SMACK that brass hammer with the BFH.

6) Don't be bashful....hit it HARD the 1st time and it should drive the shaft down thru the spindle

7) Do NOT hammer directly onto the top of the spindle shaft....you will ruin it.

Thanks, I guess what you are saying is that the shaft will come out without taking the spindle off the deck? I tried every way I could think of.......accept the way you pointed out before I totally destroyed the pulley, now I need one of those too. The right outside spindle was the only one that was bad so I was trying to get it off without taking  the deck off the tractor. 

I have a puller that has a hole in the middle that is the same size as the pulley shaft. I thought if I screwed the puller down on the shaft a ways then I could drill two holes and tap them with 5/16 threads in the pulley that lined up with two of the slots on the puller. Then I could screw two 5/16 bolts down into these new holes against the puller head and that would lift the pulley off. I heated it up and then sprayed it down good with PB Blaster and let it sit over night before I tried this but it would not budge. I sprayed more blaster on it while I had the bolts good and tight with no results. Then while I had pressure on it I heated it up but as I added more heat to see if that would help but instead of coming off it pulled the edges of the pulley up to where it ended up looking like a butterfly getting ready to take flight. I never did get it off.

I probably ought to replace the shaft anyway because when I realized something was wrong that blade had loosened up and by the time I got it stopped the blade had ground a ring around the end of the shaft where it flushed up to the spindle housing,.It didn't seem to hurt the housing but did eat up that small washer there.

olddude
17 hours ago, DougC said:

I just had 2 of mine off my 48" deck to replace the spindle bearings. I used 2 angled pry bars  ( The really cheap ones from Harbor Freight. )  soak spindle and pulley area with WD 40 and wait a while. I then slid  the pry bars between the deck and bottom of pulley on opposite sides and rocked back and forth a few times and off popped the pulley. One was stubborn and the center one gave me no trouble. I had to straighten the edges of the pulleys where the pry bars bent them slightly with a few blows of a ball peen hammer. This is how I did mine. I am not saying this is the approved method but it worked for me anyhoo.    :twocents-02cents:

When I first tried to get them off that's the same thing I tried but it wouldn't budge. That's when I noticed those two small holes in the pulley and got the idea of trying to pull it off with a puller. Anyway.....I ended up wasting a day and stilled screwed up the pulley before giving up.:(

daveoman1966

I have the replacement SHAFT and a pulley for it too..... sene me an off-site emall aor fur ther details...  I am:

daveoman@windstream.net