howell1000

drain plug gasket

howell1000

What a good replacement for a trans drain plug gasket or seal??? can you go to a hardware store or do you have to order it?? and is this a common thing??

KC9KAS

I am not familiar with any drain plug "gaskets". What tractor are you referring to?

On my motorcycles there is a "crush" washer on the drain plug. It is made of soft metal (copper maybe) so it "crushes" when the drain plug is tightened.

howell1000

ive got a sk 486 8 speed its leaking slow around the drain plug couple drops or is there something close to the drain plug that would leak ??

Edited by howell1000
more info

gwest_ca

The Kohler oil drains are a standard pipe thread. Teflon tape applied to the threads should seal it and they will seep if you don't use it. Just the nature of the thread design.

Garry

• Like 1

Phatboy

:text-yeahthat::text-yeahthat::text-yeahthat: just make sure you use the yellow teflon tape designed to be used with petrolium products..,,you canbuy it at any lowes or home depot store,, and will not degrade ove time do to being used in a oil enviorment..

• Like 3

howell1000

Thanks for the info would the tape work on the tranny drain plug?? thats were the leak is

gwest_ca
1 minute ago, howell1000 said:

Thanks for the info would the tape work on the tranny drain plug?? thats were the leak is

Yes that is pipe thread also. And it does not need to be singing tight.

Garry

howell1000

Thanks guys for info

Phatboy

Make sure when you wrap the plug with tape to keep it back a cpl of threads if it is a hydro tranny,, you dont want tape going threw you pump,, so keep it back like 3 threads then wrap it..

new2horses

Much better than Teflon tape would be most any kind of pipe sealant. Better sealing and no worrys about intrusion into places not wanted. Sorry I just have a thing about the tape.:)

• Like 5

RedRanger
8 hours ago, new2horses said:

Much better than Teflon tape would be most any kind of pipe sealant. Better sealing and no worrys about intrusion into places not wanted. Sorry I just have a thing about the tape.:)

Agreed.  Also make sure to use pipe sealant that is safe with oil.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

They make sealant for household plumbing, and they make sealant that won't break down with gas and oil.

howell1000

Thanks guys

howell1000

I started looking I put a piece of paper under the tractor to see if it was still leaking  came home from work  yep still leaking so i looked better I can see gear oil in the space between the tranny and the plate it bolts to .  Any ideas could it be the bolts ?? or is there something between the two??

N3PUY

I always put pipe sealant on those 4 bolts.

howell1000

So they go into tranny??  

woodchuckfarmer

Yes they do.

howell1000

found problem i am missing a bolt top right side  went to tighten them and no bolt   would any hardware store bolt match up ??

Edited by howell1000

stevasaurus

Yes it will...the manual should tell you the size.  :)

howell1000

Thanks fore the help  went down to local hardware store got the bolt came home and the hole is stripped out whats the best way to fix without taking trans off tractor??

JimD

If you can get at the bolt by removing the seat and fender pan you could drill the hole out to the next larger size and re-tap the hole. You do run the risk of dropping some chips into the tranny but they should be minimal and do no harm. Still the best fix is to take it out and find a new case half from one of the vendors here. It might help to know what model tractor we are talking about too. Maybe someone will have a better idea. There are some pretty savvy transmission experts here. :)

gwest_ca

Took a look at the SK-486 parts list. The 908032 bolt shown on the tractor frame page has been replaced by 323-4 and is 3/8"-16 x 3/4".

Another option would be to install a HeliCoil that would restore the original threads.

Garry

• Like 1

howell1000

Thanks so what would be the best and not costly fix to get me through summer this is the only mower i have for my yard I plane on restore this fall after mow season is over

JimD

The helicoil would be the best and cheapest fix for now, and should be a permanent fix as well. 

• Like 2

WVHillbilly520H

Helicoil is ok if it's not a high stress/torque area (I'm a maintenance machinist in a factory and from my experiences they are only temporary fixes at best) but if you go this route get some Loctite "BLUE" thread locker (it is removable) to help keep the insert and bolt from backing out also the "GREEN" Loctite will help fill in some low spots in the stripped threads where you are putting the helicoil and help hold it in place then BLUE on the actual bolt threads and a "lock" split washer just don't over torque the bolt when tightening,Jeff. 

• Like 2

stevasaurus

This is a high stress/torque area.  Those 4 bolts go through the plate and into the trans.  They hold your whole rear end to the frame of the horse.  WVHillbilly is correct, and this may get you through the summer.  Be careful...my guess is that the other 3 bolts have been torqued past where they should.  When you go to restore...send a PM to Racinfool40 (Mike) and see if he has a good used case half for you.  JimD's fix is good also...but you need to drop the trans anyway to drill out and go to next size.  Jim, he has a SK-418-8 speed, and he is talking about the bolts that hold the trans to the tractor plate.  Remember, the casting is set up for the 3/8" x 3/4" bolt, and going bigger will make the casting thinner.  You will also need to tap with one of those taps that bottom out even...not a through tap.  I believe the top bolts go through the case, the bottom bolt holes are closed into the case.  I am not positive on your transmission...about the closed and open  bolt

holes.  Usually the top bolt holes are open into the trans, and the bottom ones are closed.  There is a term for that, but it escapes me now.

• Like 1