elcamino/wheelhorse

Black spot on Bushes

elcamino/wheelhorse

I have a long line of Red Tip Bushes ( that what they are called in Richmond ) with black  spots on the leaves. I have been spraying them about every 2 two weeks as per the directions on the  numerous chemicals I have used this spring. It has almost killed three bushes so far. First the green leaves get black spots on them , gradually the leaves turn dull red and drop off. Very few if any new leaves appear afterwards. Does anyone know of anything I can use to cure this problem.:(

953 nut

If you have been getting the kind of rain we have I would guess it is a fungus, Get some fungicide and apply according to directions.

squonk

I agree. The Fungus is Among Us! 

fred.jpg

• Like 2

JimmyJam

I agree that it is fungus! Red tip bushes are also known as Photinia. Use a fungicide every 7-14 days until July when the leaves mature. Do not apply on hot days. Follow the directions of the fungicide! Rake as much of the dead leaves as possible away from red tip bushes. Replace with mulch. Pruning should be done during the winter. Spring pruning makes the new leaves vunerable to fungus.The fungus starts in the dead leaf matter under the bushes and spreads to the leaves. You can find more information on Clemson University Co-op Extension. Good Luck!!!!!

• Like 3

elcamino/wheelhorse

Thanks , I have been cleaning up and cutting deadwood off the bushes. Got the chemicals and sprayed once . Around here it been so rainy it is hard to keep up the spray schedule. I hope tomorrow will be nice so I can spray for the 3rd time. 

wrightorchid

It is hard once the fungus sets in, especially if hot and rainy.  I would replace with a different shrub.  The biggest trigger I have seen is pruning, or shaping.  This triggers a lot of sudden growth that is more likely to get damaged.  The good ones were ignored.

elcamino/wheelhorse

Replacement of bush easier said than done , they form a 100 ft privacy hedge. Wife wanted it now I get to do all the work . The bushes are 9 ft tall.

• Like 3

953 nut
55 minutes ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

Wife wanted it now I get to do all the work

What a concept, I'm sure non of the rest of us can identify with that  :ychain:

• Like 3

squonk
1 hour ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

Replacement of bush easier said than done , they form a 100 ft privacy hedge. Wife wanted it now I get to do all the work . The bushes are 9 ft tall.

Same here. I have to cut them every week when it's hot and humid or they get out of control. I cut them way back years ago. I maintain them at 5 ft high by taking my gas powered Sthil hedge trimmer and mow the top down in the fall after the leaves drop. 

Edited by squonk
  • Like 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

A few years ago I suggested reducing the height to about 6 ft, all I got as a reply was "the look". I think she has a secret insurance policy on me that pays triple if I fall off a ladder and die while trimming bushes.:ph34r:

• Like 3

wrightorchid

it is much easier to plant based on the mature height that is wanted, than try to shorten a plant that wants to be tall (in this case, 10-15 feet tall and 5-8 wide).  Sometimes specific hybrids or cultivars have different mature sizes or forms, for example the many Crepe Myrtles, and loripetalums come to mind.  I understand you have a significant investment, but maybe change out over time. Clemson University has more info http://www.clemson.edu/extension/hgic/plants/landscape/shrubs/hgic1081.html

elcamino/wheelhorse

The red tips around here don't spread out as much. They will grow to the moon if you let them. If they die I may change to another bush. Easiest thing to do would be move and let the next owner deal with them.

Uncle Buck

Sounds like a job for a PU truck and about 20 feet of heavy log chain to me. Her, hold my beer and let me show you how to take care of this...........:ROTF:

• Like 1

obone

Do you mind posting a picture of them? Maybe also a close up of the spots.

stevasaurus

I think @JimmyJam nailed it if the black spot is the same fungus like I had on my maple tree last year.  I Googled it and the spot is a fungus. It said don't waste your time and money spraying for it...but it is imperative to rake up and get rid of all the affected leaves this fall.  The fungus stays on last years leave and the wind will infect the bushes next year.  I did that with my maple tree last fall and so far I do not have any black spot this year.  :)

elcamino/wheelhorse

@stevasaurus I know I have to get  the leaves each fall , why don't you make a trip south this fall , I have an extra rake :ROTF:. Bring Steve on Stick , we will need the extra help.

@obone I carried samples to a local nursery last year and they hooked me up with a great fungal spray. 

Last year was not good for me , health problems for the wife and I  so the black spot returned and I am still spraying once a week . As  soon as Stevsauras arrives I can begin the leave clean up. I finally go 3 wagon loads of oak leaves up from where I had blown in to piles and never moved. Got some seat time in. That's what counts.

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Jim, I'll bet you do not have a rake that will fit into my hand...but I am willing to come down there and offer all the support I can.  :occasion-xmas:

elcamino/wheelhorse

@stevasaurus Does the support include a lawn chair and a cup of R & R ? I will be sitting on the back porch waiting for your arrival,:lol:

• Like 1