Thisguyisnew

Pulling Bushes with a 1977 C-160

Thisguyisnew

Have any of you guys done this or would even recommend it?

• Like 1

Tankman

Slow 'n easy. You'll find front weights are a must. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

C-101plowerpower

tried with my c 101 4speed. didn't work in my case because i didn't have low enough gears and the roots were huge.

• Like 3

DougC

When pulling bushes root ball and all from the earth if the soil is very dry and hard, soak the area around the bushes well with water and wait an hour or so. I learned that the hard way. I had good sized evergreen bush I wanted to pull out on a very hot, dry stretch of weather years ago. I had a 1973 3/4 ton 4x4 Chevy with a 500 gal. water tank full of water in the truck bed and a 25 foot log chain attached to the bush and rear step bumper hitch. An automatic transmission in low gear and gear drive transfer case shifted into low range......... I left some slack in the chain and mashed down on the gas pedal. When I hit the end of the slack, The truck instantly came to a dead stop, Some of the water shot out of the tank, went on and over the roof onto the windshield and hood. The engine cooling fan was now rubbing on the fan shroud making a terrible racket and the trucks motor mounts were broke......

The bush was still in the ground and the neighbors were laughing and pointing.      :confusion-confused:    I walked to the garage to get a shovel and a towel........

Please be very cautious. You dont want the tractor on top of you.....

• Like 9

prondzy

Good one jason! I must have laughed for 20 min.:ROTF:

• Like 1

midpack

That's freaking hilarious! 

Shynon
39 minutes ago, prondzy said:

Good one jason! I must have laughed for 20 min.:ROTF:

34 minutes ago, midpack said:

That's freaking hilarious! 

:text-yeahthat:

Thisguyisnew

Thanks everyone, I believe for the bushes that I got this would work but I don't think I'm experienced enough to try this at all. I don't have a truck so already used to digging and cutting. I'll just stick to that for now. Who's got another good video on something we should not, but do anyway. Hilarious

• Like 1

TDF5G

I've pulled very small shrubs from the ground after cutting them down a year previously.  I used B-100 8 speed with front and rear weights with turf tires & chains.  You have to be gentle and pay attention to what you're doing.  You can tug a little bit but don't over do it.  If a few gentle yanks will not budge it, then I quit.  

The bigger bushes I had to pull with the 2500 Silverado 4X4. 

• Like 1

MWR
20 hours ago, DougC said:

When pulling bushes root ball and all from the earth if the soil is very dry and hard, soak the area around the bushes well with water and wait an hour or so. I learned that the hard way. I had good sized evergreen bush I wanted to pull out on a very hot, dry stretch of weather years ago. I had a 1973 3/4 ton 4x4 Chevy with a 500 gal. water tank full of water in the truck bed and a 25 foot log chain attached to the bush and rear step bumper hitch. An automatic transmission in low gear and gear drive transfer case shifted into low range......... I left some slack in the chain and mashed down on the gas pedal. When I hit the end of the slack, The truck instantly came to a dead stop, Some of the water shot out of the tank, went on and over the roof onto the windshield and hood. The engine cooling fan was now rubbing on the fan shroud making a terrible racket and the trucks motor mounts were broke......

The bush was still in the ground and the neighbors were laughing and pointing.      :confusion-confused:    I walked to the garage to get a shovel and a towel........

Did you remember to say "Oh Yeah!! Watch This!!!" before you put her into gear? 

Or maybe that is a southern thing.

• Like 4

ClassicTractorProfessor
2 hours ago, MWR said:

Did you remember to say "Oh Yeah!! Watch This!!!" before you put her into gear? 

Or maybe that is a southern thing.

I thought the southern terminology was "Hold my beer and watch this!" :text-lol:

• Like 6

WHX??

You beat me to that one Professor!

MWR
1 hour ago, Professor1990 said:

I thought the southern terminology was "Hold my beer and watch this!" :text-lol:

But if he had a beer, his insurance might not replace his motor mounts.  :text-lol:

• Like 1

953 nut

Did that once, hooked the chain, rolled forward and let the weight of the truck do the work. That bush popped right out of the ground; then I notices the 4" red clay tile embedded in the root ball. The nasty old boxwood I had pulled was right outside of the bathroom and I had just broken my sewer line in half. Took me a few hours to repair that!     :no:

• Like 6

BOB ELLISON

That tree beat the crap out of him.

Dumbest guy I ever seen.

mabsoon

Wow! I about woke up the house on that one!!!

wasnt sure I was gonna stop coughing after the laughing!!!

On May 23, 2016 at 2:53 PM, DougC said:

And I mean that in a nice way :)

I actually tried to break my spleen a few weeks ago (not really) pulling down a way rotten tree. The top and side pieces came down but the main trunk stopped my 520 cold!!! And the steering wheel said hello to my gut..barely. I backed up on the seat and gave her another few tries! Yeah, thick head!

• Like 2

mels

Lay your chain over top of a log (just smaller in diameter than the height of where you're hooking to the tractor) just outside the hole you dug, then straight down to wrap around grab low above the root ball.  They pop up easier than they shear out.

• Like 2

coldbear

I put my wife on the 520-H with a chain and put tension on the root. I take the water hose to the roots a few hrs. before the removal As she is putting tension on the root ball, I chainsaw the larger root structure and that's the key. Without cutting those roots, you're asking for trouble. Transmissions can get expensive. I lost a good friend in the 80's when a chain broke.tugging on a Blue Spruce root. The hook hit him in back of his head and did him in. A young wife and 2 kids. Sad. .

• Like 1