hc46

toro 17-44HXL wont start

hc46

it was running. now acts like trying to start against compression. is it fixable? i'm new to small engines.

953 nut
2 hours ago, hc46 said:

start against compression. is it fixable?

:WRS:  I am not clear on what you are asking. Is the battery in good condition and all terminals clean and tight? What are you asking regarding it being "fixable"? Anything can be repaired, but we don't even know if it is broke. If you remove the spark plug and try turning it over that will give us some information. Then put the plug wire on the plug and lay it against the engine and crank it over and watch for ignition spark. Tell us what you find and let us know what happened just before the problem occurred.

hc46

it turns over fine with the spark plug removed and gets a good rapid fire spark.  I got it a couple of years ago as partially dismantled project. replaced gummed up carb and bad battery. seemed to start with a little difficulty but ran ok, though sometimes backfired  when starting. I cleaned the flywheel and reset the magneto and replaced the spark plug to get good spark. if it had a timing chain or gear I would figure something had slipped. the valves seem to open and close but when I try to start it, it seems like the timing is off as the starter wont spin the engine, just seems to be trying to turn against compression.

oldredrider

Check the shear key in the flywheel. They're made of aluminum and it may have partially sheared changing the timing. If so, new ones can be found at NAPA. Use an impact driver to tighten the flywheel nut upon reassembly. 

Edited by oldredrider
  • Like 1

hc46

do you know the torque specs?

hc46

shear key is fine. slots are in perfect alignment. is there anything else that could affect the timing?

gwest_ca

Have a voltmeter you can connect to the starter terminal? See what the voltage at the starter is when you are trying to crank it. Try with the meter ground attached to the negative battery post and again attached to some bare metal on the engine.

Garry

953 nut
On 5/23/2016 at 11:09 AM, hc46 said:

I got it a couple of years ago as partially dismantled project.

How far was the engine dismantled? If the crank shaft or camshaft was removed the timing relationship between them could be off by a tooth, that would be a tremendous contributor to your problem and a relatively easy fix.

hc46

I don't think the engine was opened up, but how do I identify the correct tooth alignment?