rubes

877 RD deck on a 1277??

rubes

Hi there...I currently have an 876 and 877...want to get something bigger. Found a 1277 on CL, but it dont have a deck. Will the 877 deck work on it?

if not is there a RD deck available for the 1277? I know most people say the SD is a nicer cut, but I like the RD better.

Rubes

953 nut

:WRS:    If the deck on your 876 is the type that has the two gear drive spindles and a foot operated clutch then you would have to do a bit of shade tree engineering. If it had the "Bell" shaped clutch operated by a rod then you are in good shape. A picture of the mower clutch would help.  :wwp:  A later model rear discharge deck would work if you have a mule drive mounted to the front to route the belt to the mower. Show us what you are working with and we can come up with a workable solution. Nothing is impossible with a :wh:

• Like 2

rubes

Thanx Richard...I thought I was a member here already, but couldn't log on with what I thought my username and PW were, so had to create a new account.

The 876 and 877 both have the foot operated clutch (see attached) and gear drive spindles.

the 1277 does have the bell shaped clutch. picture from CL ad

I have not gone to look at it yet, just doing some background checking before doing so. I'm sure the seller is on here if he has a Horse.

Looks to me like maybe I can just bolt the foot operated clutch to the frame of the 1277 and be good to go??

The 1277 manual does state the 36" RL-367 as an optional deck. I believe mine is an RM-367? whats the diff??

Rubes

by the way...THANK YOU for your Service.

DSCF9250.jpg

DSCF9236 - Copy.jpg

• Like 3

953 nut

The foot clutch on the 877 should be easy to transfer over to the 1277, unbolt the needed parts from one, bolt to the other. You might have to get a new pulley for the engine of the 1277, pretty sure it is 1 1/8" and the 877 would be 1". Push come to shove you could find what you need at WW Grainger or McMaster-Carr.

• Like 2

rubes

Thanx again...and McMaster, my favorite place...hehehe

What else should I be checking out on the 1277?

was listed for $675 and the guy said he has a partially restored 42" deck, $800 for the whole thing.

Is it the same size frame as my 877, just with a 12hp motor?

953 nut

Your mower deck is a 36", his is a 42". The 1277 is referred to as a long frame, it is only five or six inches longer. They are basically the same as the 877 with a nicer seat and bigger engine, same transmission and controls. I don't know how prices are in your area, but I would try to get him down a bit. You want to find out what he considers a "partially restored deck". If it has new bearings and blades that is a great price; if he just spray painted it that isn't restored.

• Like 1

Bert

Wheel horse made a specific pulley to use with gear driven decks mounted on tractors with the clutch type pto image.jpeg

• Like 5

AMC RULES

:wwp:  :text-coolphotos:

:WRS:

• Like 1

rubes

Thanx Bert...that would make sense since the blades would be more like propellers with the big clutch pulley and little deck pulley. Would that one happen to be for sale if I can strike a deal on the tractor?

Thanx for the welcome Craig, but no more "cool photos" right now.

• Like 1

ClassicTractorProfessor

I would sure try to talk him down a bit on price. I've been offered 850 for my 1277 and it has the 48" deck, front blade, and aerator with it...so 800 for just the tractor and 42" deck seems a bit high to me...either way if you buy it I'm sure you will be very happy with your purchase...I absolutely love mine

• Like 1

Sarge

The 1277 tractor was mine - got it years ago in Des Moines from old Les **** , can't remember his last name now .

This one was horribly strong , I restored the correct 7-slot hood for it and threw in the 42" SD deck for the price , all new bearings , wheels and fully rebuilt deck lift bushings , ect .

Anyhow , I cannot find for the life of me the correct lift rod for that deck upgrade - it requires the bend in it to clear the older tractor's battery box , trying to help out Rubes with it and besides - I'm missing my own as well . Brother in law might have it , or my son in law may have one on his 1066...

There used to be a drawing somewhere , I may have posted it years ago and was at one time making the trunion ends in stainless steel as well .

Sarge

rubes

Yep...Sarge came up with a deck, mule drive, and even parts for the foot operated clutch like my 876/7.

I'm happy with the deal we made:D Thanx again

• Like 1

Sarge

Not a problem , glad it went to a good home and not going to get parted out .

Now , for the benefit of all - here are photos and dimensions to make the bent style lift link . This is used when upgrading older 60's tractors using the RM series decks to later mule drives and decks . Doing this allows the use of all the more modern attachments without having to make adapters .

Just source the following -

Mid attach - some don't need it , but the more modern version is nicer .

Front quick attach - there are drawings out there to make these, or just hunt Ebay or CL

Clutch assembly - there are several versions , 1" crankshaft sleeve , 1-1/8" sleeve and several different diameter clutches . The smaller ones are 8hp , medium are the 10-12hp and the largest diameter fits the 14-16hp K series . It can be a bit tricky to get the correct rod standoff for the engine block end - again , not a hard part to make .

Clutch rod and bracket - almost every 60's tractor had two holes on the right side of the hood stand to allow later parts

Mule drive - find one with a good set of pulley bearings , some bearings can be replaced , others the whole pulley must be sourced . Best to use genuine WH parts here or Toro - last much longer .

Once you have these parts , just takes a deck - I prefer the MS series such as MS42-01 or MS48-01 early 80's . Simple, abundant and repairable spindles . Even early double D spindles can be adapted to these decks are very rugged cast iron/steel . You can also easily use later model front and mid attachments , almost anything made for WH will fit using this newer quick attach system .

See attached pics for dimensions -

Sarge

WP_20160609_19_18_48_Pro.jpg

WP_20160609_19_17_12_Pro.jpg

WP_20160609_19_16_50_Pro.jpg

WP_20160609_19_20_47_Pro.jpg

WP_20160609_19_21_26_Pro.jpg

• Like 1

Sarge

Continued - can't load a

Continued - can't load all the pics , guess file sizes are too big . The Nokia is a 41mg , even the smaller files are 1.5-5mg in size .

Short of hosting them out on another picture site , any other solutions ?

Sarge

WP_20160609_19_22_38_Pro.jpg

WP_20160609_19_22_53_Pro.jpg

• Like 1

Sarge

Try again -

Sarge

WP_20160609_19_23_37_Pro.jpg

WP_20160609_19_24_36_Pro.jpg

WP_20160609_19_25_17_Pro.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1