Al C.

Spring tune-up

slovinski

NICE!!  Do you use it as a worker, or is it a ferlookingat tractor?

• Like 1

Retired Wrencher

Al sweet ride.  What is with the cables? Enjoy it hard to find these 6 speeds. enjoy.

• Like 1

Racinbob

That's a beauty Al. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

Tankman

Great Horse! Are you done cleaning the Stallion?  :ROTF:

squonk

Looks like the one cable is to keep the fender from digging into the tires when opened. Nice idea! :handgestures-thumbupright:

Edited by squonk
  • Like 1

buffaloman

awesome tractor and I like the way you photographed it!

• Like 1

Al C.

Let me give you some background.  My dad bought this tractor new in 1967.  I was 11 years old.  I learned to drive and mowed our acre lot with it.  Dad really enjoyed driving it, but was not mechanically inclined.  I inherited it when dad passed away a few years ago. It was in pretty rough shape.  I have spent two years restoring it and use it along with a SK-486 to mow, thatch, and aerate a half acre lawn.  So it gets regular use in the summer but not heavy duty type stuff.  I do not use it for snow and it has never gotten wet (in 50 years).  It runs like new and it gets cleaned after every use.  I have a sentimental passion for it.  The braided cables were added to the hinged seat and hood to prevent them from overextending and to reduce stress on the hinge joints.  They work well.  The last aspect of the restoration is to remove the cylinder head and clean carbon that has built up on the piston and valve heads.  I know it needs to be done but I am reluctant to open it up because the engine runs fine as is.  So here is the question, would you open up a 50 year old engine that is running fine just to clean carbon deposits.   I'm interested in your opinions?

Thanks!

Al.  

• Like 4

Terry M

A very Nice 1067!!:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

TDF5G

That is a sweet tractor with a great story!   

On 5/22/2016 at 9:41 PM, Al C. said:

So here is the question, would you open up a 50 year old engine that is running fine just to clean carbon deposits.   I'm interested in your opinions?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

• Like 4

oldredrider

IMO you have done a great job refreshing the tractor. Pull the head and clean the carbon out. All it takes is time and a new head gasket. Then you'll know the inside is as clean as the outside. Chunks of carbon can break off and score the cylinder if not cleaned; Cleaning is cheaper than rebuilding.

• Like 4

Al C.

Well, here is the update.  I needed to practice before I open up the 1067 (too emotionally vested).  So I opened up my SK-486.  I was shocked at how dirty things were considering how well it runs.  Now it is clean and still purrs like a kitten.  Good old Kohler K341!

image.jpeg

• Like 8

DougC

A beautiful restoration with a wonderful family history. I can see why you cherish it!  :handgestures-thumbupright: :handgestures-thumbupright:.

Edited by DougC
  • Like 2

WHX??

Not to steal your thread or thunder Al, just thought the guys might like to see what a 1067 looks like that has been through the mill. I do plan on making it look like yours someday. Right after I get all the other tractors done! I am slowly collecting stuff that is missing and will be looking for more at the BS. This was my 1st horse in 1986 and was already pretty rough when I bought it. It was my main and only mower till 1996 or so. Did throw a rod in it once but other than that has always started & ran good. It has a loose hub that needs attention as it moves on the axle and took out the seal thus the greasy wheel. I pretty much quit running it till I can devote my full attention to it.

20160524_181025.jpg

20160524_181053.jpg

20160524_181038.jpg

20160524_181133.jpg

20160524_181153.jpg

20160524_181119.jpg

Hope you don't mind I saved some of your pics to aspire to!

My favorite as well

• Like 3

elliot ness

Such a beautiful Wheel :greetings-clappingyellow:Horse.

• Like 1

Al C.

No thunder stolen.  This is where I started with mine.  It took me a while, because I had to learn as I moved from piece to piece.  The important part of these stories is that underneath whatever it looks like is a horse of iron and steel.  They are great machines.  Good luck!! 

• Like 2

Al C.

I pulled the cylinder head on the 1067 (Kohler K-241) today.  Here is the end of the restoration story ... all is well.

IMG_5676.JPG

Edited by Al C.
  • Like 3

oldredrider

Now aren't you glad you did that? I'm proud of you!

Al C.

I'm a do-it-yourself-er not specifically a mechanic.  Actually, it was not very difficult once I understood what to expect (from the videos and manuals).  Had to buy a torque wrench, that was it.  It took the members of the forum here to give me the confidence to give it a try.  This is a GREAT place!

• Like 1

WHX??

Some guys got it ...some guys don't Al...don't  be embarrassed if you don't. ...that's why you got Bros here!:lol:

muz123

Thats so cool how the back fender pan goes up like that! Nice horse! 

• Like 1