muz123

Low Voltage when Running C-175

muz123

My C-175 kept stalling, so checked the voltage at battery when running and when off. When running, the voltage reads 6.5 volts, when not running it reads 11.5. Either way is bad! Can this be a solenoid problem?

Thanks,

Dave

wallfish

I'm surprised a bad battery will start that 17hp engine. Disconnect the battery cables and test voltage. Check for a short or bad ground wires.

Could be a number of things but the solenoid is for the start circuit and should have nothing to do with the charging circuit.

Check voltage at the regulator with the engine running. The 2 wires coming from the engine's stator produce AC voltage, so you want to test for AC voltage for both wires.

If you don't have AC voltage, problem with stator. If you do have AC voltage, check the 3rd prong on the regulator which will now be DC voltage. AC voltage going in but no DC coming out means a bad regulator. If you have DC voltage coming out of the regulator, keep tracing that voltage until you find out where it's not passing to the battery. A wire diagram for your tractor will help for where the wires go.

Edited by wallfish
  • Like 2

953 nut
1 hour ago, muz123 said:

Can this be a solenoid problem?

Not likely. You probably have some corroded electrical terminals. Remove all electrical connections one at a tome and clean and tighten each one; complete one before moving on so you don't transpose wires accidentally. This is the basic first step for any electrical problem.

• Like 2

N3PUY

What is the battery voltage when cranking?  Less than 9 volts is bad.   But maybe the battery isn't getting charged.   Charge the battery and then check the voltage when cranking.  If less than 9 volts means bad battery.  If battery voltage doesn't increase when running it's not getting charged.   And do the tests as suggested.

• Like 2

muz123

Thanks for your help. I've been starting it with a jumper battery. I'll check the regulator out.

psalms83:18

quick test if u got it drop in a new or newer good battery if problems go away your good. They usually are finicky with weak batteries.

• Like 2

pfrederi

How old is the battery>???  get it tested.  You can waste a lot of time running down the problem only to find it was a weak old battery.

pfrederi

How old is the battery>???  get it tested.  You can waste a lot of time running down the problem only to find it was a weak old battery.  With as many horses as you have $25 bucks at harbor freight will get you a serviceable batter load tester....

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 2

TDF5G
3 hours ago, pfrederi said:

$25 bucks at harbor freight will get you a serviceable batter load teste

:text-yeahthat:

I've got one of those.  Got it on sale.  Comes in handy with lots of vehicles and batteries to tend to.

muz123
12 hours ago, pfrederi said:

How old is the battery>???  get it tested.  You can waste a lot of time running down the problem only to find it was a weak old battery.  With as many horses as you have $25 bucks at harbor freight will get you a serviceable batter load tester....

The battery is about 7 months old but i don't believe thats the issue. Ill have to check that out also.