midxmidwest

5010 dogs breakfast

midxmidwest

hello, mxmw here. Lots of good answers on this forum, I hope I have good questions --- but not to good. Ok, got a barn find wh, had the original manual on the seat  it's a sub 401, been setting there for at least 30 years. Thing is cool but getting quite the education. After complete take down I found the spline gear on brake shaft completely stripped and the large diff case gear bad too. Any help replacing these major gears would be appreciated. I'm guessing welding new teeth on the brake spline then milling down is not an option sense its never mentioned. The axle and spiders look good, the diff gear is missing 1/4" of all the teeth but wondered if it could be cleaned up and used. Also found all bearings on line but apparently Toro doesn't carry rear axle seals anymore. Picture worth a thousand words I know but might be easier to cast the parts myself. If you can't spell the word how do you find it in the dictionary. Anyway thanks alot, Dave  

• Like 1

oliver2-44

The axle seals are available intermittently, but pricy.  About 3 months ago I ordered a set from PartsTree.com

Also Motion Industries cross referenced a seal for me, but it didn't have the spring behind the lip (which would be ok for grease service but not oil service) so be careful about that. 

Post a picture of the exact parts you need and the parts number from the manual if you've figured that out. . 

Send a PM to members Lane Ranger and Racinbob they may have some parts.

If you haven't found it yet, there's a great thread on here that is a rebuild tutorial

• Like 2

Racinbob

You can get the seals here: http://www.partstree.com/parts/search/parts/?searchTerm=83-2840

The link oliver2-44 is excellent and also go here: http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/forum/144-transmissions/

There's several good threads and videos to help you out.

Download the service manual here:

I do have some parts. I would suggest getting everything apart and posting good pictures. Visuals are far better than trying to explain. You'll get tons of help here. :)

Oh yea..........:WRS:

Edited by Racinbob
  • Like 2

Racinbob

Another thing. It sounds like you tore it apart without a test drive (if you could have with the damage). Make sure the inner teeth of the 3523 gear are good as well as the 3522 input shaft/gear. That's a weak link in these transmissions and I'd hate to see you put it back together only to find that it pops out of 3rd gear. :)

• Like 1

midxmidwest

Thanks guys, The axle seals I took out were the spring type, service manual says #1257, then metal cup. Partstree's 83-2840 pics look different. Are the spring ones still available or will the 83-2840 work? Hope to get some gear pics up soon. Appreciate it. mxmw 

stevasaurus

Hello MXMW...Welcome to Red Square.  :)  Welding new teeth on the mushroom gear is an option.  We have a few machinist members here that could do that, but I don't know if anyone has done that yet.  It is still fairly easy to find parts.

About your differential bull gear.  Is the gear the bolt on type or is the differential and gear one piece??  This is the one piece.

2008_0229LANETRANNYS20003.JPG

I am having issues trying to load pictures for some reason. 

The WH# 1257 is now TORO #83-2840...they are the same and the right ones.  :)

Here is the 2 piece..

2008_0321LANE10003.JPG

2008_0321LANE10004.JPG

• Like 2

midxmidwest

The diff case and bull gear are one piece, every tooth has 1/4" or so missing with the exception of one tooth that has 1/4" left. Don't plan on working her to hard,just trying to save her from the glue factory. thanks

• Like 1

Racinbob

I'm not sure I'd even give that to my dog for breakfast :blink: I'd suggest that you do a full inventory of every gear you need and post a list. With all the busted off chunks floating around in that transmission there's no telling how much damage was done. :)

• Like 1

WHX??

Might want to try Jake Kuhn for parts as well, he helped me out of a 5010 parts bind. . He's got the bearing, seals, bushings all in a nice little package. Even has gaskets too & might have gears that you need... doesn't hurt to ask.

:WRS:

• Like 2

stevasaurus

Parts are out there, and can be found for very reasonable money.  Your horse is definitely worth saving from the glue factory.  @Lane Ranger has been having a field day finding these transmissions lately.  Send him a PM and see if he knows of anymore out there.  Take a good look, like Bob said, of all the parts and gears to see what you really need.  Of course, we would like to see some pictures.  :)  I am thinking you want to replace that mushroom gear and your differential casting. 

If you have the ability to cast some of these parts,  Let us know.  You will need to count the teeth on the top part of the mushroom gear and on the bull gear.  Yours should be the newer style, but you never know.  They had 2 types and the mushroom gear and bull gear have to match up.  The mushroom gear had either 8 or 11 teeth.  Yours should be 11.  Just so you know.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 3

midxmidwest

Finally got some pics up of my trans, most the gears look good to me, what do you think? Could use some help finding brake shaft and diff. case  gears. Thanks, Dave.

photo 658_zpstnqwhoqc.jpg

photo IMG_1534_zpsnsij90it.jpg

photo 651_zpsmntrfkre.jpg

photo IMG_1536_zpsb6tawzv8.jpg

photo IMG_1537_zpsjwdn7buk.jpg

hoobie doobie heaven photo 654_zpssrsuruf2.jpg

good axil gears photo 655_zpslz98w0df.jpg

photo 656_zpspkecokrm.jpg

photo 657_zpsxzuls8kx.jpg

photo 660_zpsahjpza8p.jpg

• Like 2

stevasaurus

All the rest of your gears look good and I think fine for what you are going to use this horse for,  Really, I am surprised how good everything else looks with the damage you have on the mushroom gear and differential case.  Those 2 pieces are only common to the #5003 & #5010 transmissions...just so you know.

Place an ad in the wanted section here on Red Square,  search E-Bay, and if you want...we can keep an eye out at the Big Show next week.  If you want us to take a look at the show, send me your cell phone # in a PM, and I can call if we find something to see if you want what we find.  :)

Racinbob

Can you post another shot of the internal teeth on the 3523 gear. It's hard to really tell from that picture. Here's an angle that shows it better. The gear on the left is NOS and the right is worn but should be serviceable as long as you're getting a full engagement of the two gears in 3rd.

3523 Comparison.JPG

PM sent :)

• Like 1

midxmidwest

005_zpsefugcvzx.jpg003_zpszzofqgk4.jpg

here is my( high gear) ? hard to get a good picture,the wear looks to be somewhere in between your gears. I bet good ones are hard to come by.

• Like 1

Racinbob

Hard to find is an understatement. I found that NOS on Ebay. That's a much better picture. I think you'll be fine with that one and your input gear is decent. I agree with Steve on how good everything looks considering the damage to the two gears. You're doing a great job on it. I'll be in touch tomorrow. :)

• Like 1

midxmidwest
On 6/14/2016 at 10:32 AM, stevasaurus said:

All the rest of your gears look good and I think fine for what you are going to use this horse for,  Really, I am surprised how good everything else looks with the damage you have on the mushroom gear and differential case.  Those 2 pieces are only common to the #5003 & #5010 transmissions...just so you know.

Place an ad in the wanted section here on Red Square,  search E-Bay, and if you want...we can keep an eye out at the Big Show next week.  If you want us to take a look at the show, send me your cell phone # in a PM, and I can call if we find something to see if you want what we find.  :)

Thanks a lot Steve, sounds like I might have a line on (needed) gears from racinbob :greetings-clappingyellow:Would love to get to a Horse show sometime, really appreciate your offer to look for parts for me though. This wouldn't be possible without your posts and vids, thanks again Dave mxmw.

• Like 3