Furious

'68 Electro 12

Furious

Anyone ever heard of an Electro 12 with a positive ground electrical system?  Have a chance to pick up a pretty decent tractor, but the electrical system seems like a mess. The guy has it hooked up with positive ground and it won't fire when cranking.  He swears it ran like a dream a week ago, but he washed it and it hasn't run since.  Also, it has 2 key switches!  One for the coil, and one for the starter. Has anyone ever heard of such a system?  Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks. 

KC9KAS

Only 1 switch needed, BUT it must be the correct switch.

It should be negative ground.

Someone has really messed up that tractors wiring!

Download the wiring diagram and wire it correctly!

953 nut

The starter will crank in the same direction with reversed polarity and the coil will work as it should as long as the coil + is connected to the un-grounded feed from the battery. At this point it is to be presumed that the voltage regulator is history, it is polarity sensitive. Obviously the seller has no idea what he is doing when it comes to electrical work. If he tells you every thing is great but can't prove it I would start seeking a BIG price reduction.

• Like 1

pfrederi

What kind of ignition system is on the tractor.  Depending n the year (it may have a Magneto with points or a breakerless system.  Either one can be easily fried if wired incorrectly.  Then again over the years it may have been converted to a battery points system (that would be more forgiving of fouled up wiring).  Many older farm tractors had positive ground nothing wrong with that...but i doubt the Kohler voltage regulator would deal with it .

Magneto system the plug wire just appears from under the engine shroud.

Breakerless has a triangular shaped coil mounted on the front of the shroud with a single terminal on the bottom plug wire out the top.

Battery points will have round coil and condensor.

Furious

Thanks for the feedback.  Yeah, I think they really messed with the electrical system.  It's a battery points system with an external coil.  I doubt the voltage reg is still good, but that can be easily replaced.  Any idea why they would install a second key to control the coil? 

953 nut
5 hours ago, Furious said:

Any idea why they would install a second key to control the coil

The original ignition system is a magneto which uses a different switch than a conventional battery ignition switch. The previous owner probably didn't have enough electrical know how to make the transition.

Furious

Yeah, I figured it was supposed to be a magneto ignition since my 1277 is and it's only 1 year older. Since its been converted, do you have a wiring diagram for a battery and points ignition?  In order to remove that second key, what type of ignition switch should I get?  I should probably get a new voltage regulator and coil as well.  Is there anything else I would need?  What type of coil would it be for a K301?  Thanks

gwest_ca

This is likely the same system for battery ignition. I think your switch and this one has 4 key positions. OFF, RUN with Accessories, RUN without Accessories and START.

If you want to use a less expensive switch with 3 key positions that is possible also since you have a starter solenoid. Switch # 103990

Garry