Blue Delta

94' Toro Wheelhorse 416-H Mild Resto/Clean

Zeek

Nice garage floor! 

• Like 4

bds1984

My vote is for just cleaning it up and keeping it as is!  Well, maybe upgrading the seat, too.  Nice looking machine!

• Like 3

V-Four

Heck, that doesn't look so "Sad and Sorry" as you put it. (Or do I feel that way because I actually bought a WH in what seems to be much worse shape, although running and functioning) ;)

But seriously, that things looking good with just a cleanup so far. I cant believe the hubcaps.. nice.

:)

• Like 1

mikekot3

Nice 416 tractor you have. I have a 416-8 manual transmission version that I upgraded the engine to a briggs and Stratton vanguard v-twin 23 hp engine.

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H
1 hour ago, mikekot3 said:

Nice 416 tractor you have. I have a 416-8 manual transmission version that I upgraded the engine to a briggs and Stratton vanguard v-twin 23 hp engine.

Not to drift off from the thread but how do you like the Briggs conversion? Was it a S.E.W. kit? Fuel economy any better than the Onan? I'm sure 23hp is more than the original 16?  Wondering just in case my 520/P220 dies and instead of rebuilding repowering thanks,Jeff.

mikekot3

Hello Wvhillbilly,

Yes I like the conversion kit from small engine warehouse. It works well and the brackets included made the swap easier to do. If I put it in third gear and use full throttle I can do a small wheelie woo hoo !!   The fuel economy seems to be good.

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H

Good deal I know it was a bit pricey but I'm sure a warranty on the unit and no worries over if the rebuilt Onan would hold up, 1 more question or 2 how does it sound compared to the Onan and any pics? Thanks Jeff.

Blue Delta

Dare I say I don't think I know of a Briggs engine that does not leak oil (even new ones), if it isn't leaking then there is no oil it, fill the oil to the correct level again.

Slightly back on topic, I am getting the head gaskets to de-carbonise the cylinders as the machine has done 467 hours (I know the hour meter works as I have put 2 hours on it playing around). I have not pressure tested the cylinders but pulling the heads off a 20 year old engine will let me see if there is anything lurking since I have no idea why you buy and expensive tractor and not use it (I see LT's at work that have 4 times the hours, they are wrecked though but half the age).

• Thanks 1

mikekot3

The Briggs engine sounds very nice and does not have that annoying hunting sound my old Onan engine had. It does not leak oil and I run Mobil1 synthetic oil in it.

• Like 1

cschannuth

Haha. This '78 Briggs doesn't use or leak oil. 

image.jpeg

• Like 5

cschannuth

I should probably knock on wood...

Blue Delta

Your C-161 is a nice looking beast, shame we didn't get any black hoods in Australia

• Like 1

mikekot3

Nice tractor cschannuth I like tractor Wheel horses are made well and easy to work instead of the cheap crapola offered today.

• Like 3

Blue Delta

Small update, the LH hub has moved about 3mm off the axle and of course it doesn't want to budge, should I pull it?

cleat

3mm ?

I would not worry too much about that little bit. Just make sure the set screws are tight.

Blue Delta

Thanks Cleat, there is black pain even on the inside of the hub, almost like it has been like that for years

cleat

It's hard to see in this picture but the left side hub on my 520HC has a small gap as well.

The axles move in and out a tiny bit on all of my machines (even my truck) so I don't worry too much.

Rear hitch installed 1.jpg

• Thanks 1

WVHillbilly520H

There's actually a "fiber" spacer between the hubs and the axle housing on both my 520s, I believe it's there to keep the hub from wearing on the housing unless someone knows otherwise,Jeff.

IMAG2126.jpg

IMAG2125.jpg

cleat

Mine have this as well. Kind of a plastic thrust washer.

Cole J.

Nice tractor, we used to have a 416-6 speed ... I think. I don't know, that was back before I got interested in tractors. Anyway we traded it and a green and yellow thing for a gravely zero turn, it was sad to see it go because it was a nice tractor it used to be my grandparent's. I know exactly where it still sits. At the dealer's grave yard slowly rusting away, sad really. 

Blue Delta

So I finally dug my WH out of storage and finally reassembled it! - I had unfortunately mothballed it *forever*. I had moved to full time at my work shortly after pulling my tractor down which put the project hold, dragged on for a year to which I put all my parts in storage (got heaps of new parts during that first year), pushed the chassis around the garage as vehicles changed around it. I lost hope in that I would ever have it back together again as a complete tractor - even gave my hub caps out to a 260 series that I gave my grandparents.

IMG_3887.jpg.31cdbe389031b8413a4c9b81af0251f8.jpg

This is just after I got it all out, I removed the ignition coil and tins from the engine - I had to guess a little but it all made sense in the end. The hardest part I found was putting the wiring loom back, since it was so long since I removed it (and I don't see any of these tractors at work) I had completely forgotten the correct routing. What is also missing is table full of parts in bags.

IMG_3892.jpg.80f3c3f1a9abe31b4884c1a0f19136bb.jpg

Just put the engine back in sheet metal was just sitting on the frame at that stage

IMG_3894.jpg.f12bd2c9d81cbcf80f8b200245728fee.jpg

Looking a bit better here (had the loom in) - still sporting the original Dico's.... (what is missing is that I had the tractor together shortly after this photo but didn't take any photos for 13 months - oops)

IMG_6076.jpg.b53fc872daa71eef0a0e8f05f9fa0968.jpg

Second wind about a year on since the tractor was put together, brought the deck into work to asses how bad it was - I had stored the deck out under a tarp for the 3+ years since getting the tractor so I was expecting the worse, but it was surprisingly in amazing shape. I didn't clean out from the guards when I got the tractor so there was still grass from the PO there, little bit of bubbling on the stiffener plate but otherwise in really good shape. Spindles were dry but have responded to greasing the idler bearing is good (really unusual for me as almost every customers machine I work on needs idlers).

IMG_6106.jpg.20d7810a0f1dfdfaf23caaa70ec4cd25.jpg

The reunion/marriage of the deck back to the tractor! I replaced the front tyres here also was a fun night.... (had the rears done earlier at work)

IMG_6121.jpg.b9e4849d66d1584fd88de45b03ac9ec4.jpg

IMG_6119.jpg.0d3b6ccaf34ffe9432e7536a8507b27d.jpg

So, I have my hubcaps back and I have polished them back up again but they are not the same was they where sadly - I will take real photos with my camera if the weather holds. I did forget one thing, the return spring on the PTO lever. I was really stoked when I started the deck up and it was whisper quiet, no vibration through it also - very pleased with my tractor!

Edited by Blue Delta
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 2

Racinbob

Wow! I didn't realize this thread was started over 3 years ago. Glad you revived it. I'd say that tractor has found a good home. :handgestures-thumbupright:

peter lena

welcome blue delta, glad to see your recovery of this great unit, on your paint issue, from the initial view ,  i would buff it out , where you can , maguires   paint cutter with a small 6 " palm buffer  will bring it out, then use a paint spray on detailer to easily maintain /  enhance it . pete 

tom2p
On 5/20/2016 at 8:26 PM, mikekot3 said:

The Briggs engine sounds very nice and does not have that annoying hunting sound my old Onan engine had. It does not leak oil and I run Mobil1 synthetic oil in it.

the 'hunting' or surging is often a sign of intake issue ... air intake / manifold leak ... carb ... maybe valve ?