Sign in to follow this  
HORSEOFCOURSE

Honda Knockoffs

HORSEOFCOURSE

I just purchased a Greyhound brand 6.5hp engine from harbor freight tools and was wondering if anyone has had good luck with the chinese built engines. i have mounted it to one of my round fender wheel horses and it seems to run good and everything.i havent drove it around yet with this motor. it had a h60 on it that wouldnt run right so i replaced it. it is made by LIFAN :hide:

bell

I have heard good things about the lifan engines... :hide: Good luck with it and let us know how it works out for you.

TT

The discussions of the Chinese version of Japanese engine here at RedSquare have been know to turn in to a veritable free-for-all in the past.

Let's just say that some folks have had great luck with them and some haven't. I'm guessing you purchased the $99.00 model that I saw in the last HF sales flyer, which should immediately enlighten you to the worth of those engines. (a connecting rod for a 12hp Wisconsin now costs $138.00 -- do the math. :hide:)

I'm not sure where you would get parts, but you could probably just buy another new engine for less than it would cost to repair one. :D

To anyone responding: PLEASE - don't let this topic turn into another feud! :hide:

BairleaFarm

I'm not sure where you would get parts, but you could probably just buy another new engine for less than it would cost to repair one. :hide:

I think thats handy for some people. 100$ every year or 2 for a new motors isnt that bad(for some). Id like to get one of these and put on one my work tractor just to see if I can beat it up and break it.

Nick

Need to sign up for the mailers and dont forget to use the 15% off coupon. Brings that $99 down to $85. :hide: Dont have anything against China engines but good chance I could find tractor to steal the engine off for less cash. :D

HORSEOFCOURSE

THE MANUAL THAT CAME WITH IT had a parts breakdown and harbour frieghts toll free number. i have heard/been told that the parts off from a honda will work as long as you know its equivalant model number. i got it mounted in my newest project tractor. i opted for the two year extended warranty. for the occasional use that it will get i think i could make it last forever with synthetic oil.

Attached Image

post-69-1229490182.jpg

HORSEOFCOURSE

here is another pic

Attached Image

post-69-1229490329.jpg

HORSEOFCOURSE

i had to shove it back a ways to make it fit under the hood

Attached Image

post-69-1229490442.jpg

HORSEOFCOURSE

custom bracketry to make it work. not the first one i have done like this

Attached Image

post-69-1229490638.jpg

HORSEOFCOURSE

a pic of my raider 9

Attached Image

post-69-1229490907.jpg

Rollerman

We have some of the "knockoffs" at work on water pumps mostly & seem to run pretty decent....but have only been in the feild a year or so.

Some of are true Honda engines have been running for years.

I will say not all parts are interchangeable....they look close...very close, but different sizes or hardware.

Just enough I guess so it's not the same.... :hide:

Wish I still had the HB flyers comeing in the mail....I'd pick one up for a cheapy engine.

Nick

The place with all the China diesels sells the gas engines also so my guess is they would carry parts for them. They say they carry them for the diesel line anyway. The gas engine section of his site is under construction but he has them listed on ebay.

http://www.carrollstream.net/index.htm

http://stores.ebay.com/Carroll-Stream-Motor-Company

oldandred

I have the Jap 4.5 diesel on one of my lawn rangers and havent had a min of trouble other that replacing the gas line OPSSS I mean diesel line and thats was about three inches long

sorekiwi

I looked at these when I was trying to decide what to put in my Ranger. What put me off was the fact that you had to move the motor back because the cylinder is slanted (like the current Tecumseh).

From what I've read, it seems that most of these motors do work OK. There's a bunch of them out there.

I finally decided if I was going majorly bastardise the tractor, I'd go for a GC160 Honda, (a genuine Honda that you can get for about $200). http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/produc...0a%20go%20kart*

Its an upright engine that looks like it would fit in the more or less standard position. And even tho' its the bottom of the line Honda, they are a really good engine.

But finally I went with a Kohler...