Cgoligher990

Wheelhorse

Cgoligher990

Watods could I do to this wheelhorse 

received_1609374479311561.jpeg

• Like 4

elliot ness

Welcome to Red Square, where you can find a world of knowledge about the red tractors, Looks like you have a fine one to start with .:text-welcomeconfetti:

• Like 2

Racinbob

:WRS:

By any chance can you read the model number? The tag should be on the steering tower just under the dash. That steering was put on some of the 500 Specials made in 1968. Not conclusive but at least some evidence. Love the rear meats. You need a belt cover on it to stop the belt. Otherwise you will be grinding gears and damaging the transmission. :)

Edited by Racinbob
  • Like 2

AMC RULES

• Like 2

Racinbob

I just noticed you're from Ireland. Cool!! That could wipe out my thoughts on the steering wheel. :)

• Like 2

Daddy Don

• Like 2

ClassicTractorProfessor

:WRS:Looks like you have a nice start to a project there. The fun part of these little red tractors is the multitude of things you can do with them. Some guys like to keep them as functional workers, while others like to fully restore them. Yet others like to build pulling tractors and then there are those who build all-out customs. Whatever you decide to do with it you are definitely at the right place for any advice on anything you run into along the way and be sure to post pictures as you move along...we love looking at pictures around here :)

• Like 4

dells68

I'm digging that cool seat pad.  Hard seats can be hard on the ole backside!

• Like 2

KC9KAS

• Like 2

Digger 66

THE GRRREAT AND POWERFUL   OZ  SEES A HOT ROD IN YOUR FUTURE ! 

Welcome to the forum .

• Like 2

Cgoligher990

Here are some more pics (ino the engine is too small I have a Kohler 8hp I can put in it)so wat mods could I do too it 

received_1609374425978233.jpeg

received_1609374445978231.jpeg

received_1609374452644897.jpeg

received_1609374465978229.jpeg

• Like 3

TDF5G

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Looks like you have a great project there.  

• Like 2

ACman

:text-bravo::WRS:  endless possibilities . Put that 8hp to good use make whatever you want . We're not here to judge , we just want :text-coolphotos: of what you do . So :orcs-cheers: to your new project , and good luck .

• Like 2

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Cgoligher990
6 hours ago, ACman said:

:text-bravo::WRS:  endless possibilities . Put that 8hp to good use make whatever you want . We're not here to judge , we just want :text-coolphotos: of what you do . So :orcs-cheers: to your new project , and good luck .

Thanks ACman 

Cgoligher990
On 18/05/2016 at 5:40 PM, ACman said:

On 17/05/2016 at 9:27 PM, Racinbob said:

By any chance can you read the model number? The tag should be on the steering tower just under the dash. That steering was put on some of the 500 Specials made in 1968. Not conclusive but at least some evidence. Love the rear meats. You need a belt cover on it to stop the belt. Otherwise you will be grinding gears and damaging the transmission. :)

Why would the gears grind without the belt guard ??

ACman

Your brake/clutch pedal when pressed down doesn't stop the input shaft from spinning . The belt guard is designed so when you press down on the brake/ clutch pedal it keeps the belt from spinning the input shaft . Therefore  the inards of the trans aren't turning and will shift into gear without grinding . Hope that makes sense .:scratchead:

• Like 3

Racinbob

:text-yeahthat:It accomplishes it's task by easing the belt away from the motor pulley. Depending on the model there's one or two tabs. These need to be adjusted properly. The manual will give you the exact distance they need to be from the belt when it is tight. As a rule of thumb I use 1/8". :)

• Like 2

Cgoligher990
On 18/05/2016 at 5:40 PM, ACman said:

On 17/05/2016 at 9:27 PM, Racinbob said:

Ryt can I modify it in a way or put a tab or something 

5 minutes ago, Racinbob said:

:text-yeahthat:It accomplishes it's task by easing the belt away from the motor pulley. Depending on the model there's one or two tabs. These need to be adjusted properly. The manual will give you the exact distance they need to be from the belt when it is tight. As a rule of thumb I use 1/8". :)

Have u any pics its quite confusing I'm not too familiar with these wheelhorses 

Racinbob

Here's one that will go on my 500 Special and is quite likely the same one you need.. The majority of them just have the bottom tab. That tab will be no more than 1/8" from the belt when it is tight and it will be under the motor drive pulley. Yes, you can add one if yours is missing. :)DSCN0504.JPG

• Like 1

Racinbob

You really just need something that will ride the belt in the location of that tab. Some guys bend heavy wire to shape and use a bolt hole in the motor to hold it in place. :)

• Like 1

Cgoligher990
28 minutes ago, Racinbob said:

You really just need something that will ride the belt in the location of that tab. Some guys bend heavy wire to shape and use a bolt hole in the motor to hold it in place. :)

Any chance u would have any pics of the mod using heavy wire?

Racinbob

guide.JPG

No pictures but here's the idea. Every application is different. Just bent the wire to suit your application.

• Like 1

Cgoligher990

Thanks for ur help and I'm getting the wh delivered to my house on Saturday so I'll start tearing her apart right away and get this engine test fitted and wat size of pulley could I run to speed it up a bit?

IMG_20160519_201218244.jpg

IMG_20160519_201235146.jpg

Edited by Cgoligher990

Racinbob

Here's a thread on stopping the drive belt. I will give you more ideas. :)

• Like 1