welderman85

Governor issue's

welderman85

I have a 314 h that I just put a deck on fro the first time and I don't think the governor  is working. It starts and runs good but when you kick the deck on its a 48" deck it put the drag on the motor but the governor dosnt kick in. I have to change  it with the throttle. Or if I get in to tall grass I have to throttle up. Thank you for any help and sorry for all the questions 

td59

u should always mow at full throttle

• Like 2

gwest_ca

Follow the throttle cable to the engine. It should pull on a spring that is connected to the governor arm. That's all there is to it other than a means to limit how far it can pull the spring. That is often a metal L bracket that contacts the throttle linkage after it is pulled so far. You should use a tachometer to make that adjustment.

With the engine not running move the throttle shaft from the idle position to wide open throttle. As you do that take note of which way the governor shaft turns. Mark down that direction - clockwise or counter-clockwise. Now loosen the bolt/nut that clamps the governor arm to the governor shaft enough that the arm will rotate on the shaft. Hold the carb throttle shaft at wide open throttle. I use a heavy rubber band to do that or my wife. Using a small screwdriver lightly rotate the governor shaft in the direction you marked down until it stops turning. Tighten the clamping bolt enough that the arm can't turn on the governor shaft. Done.

The throttle cable increases rpm. The governor tries to reduce the rpm. The balance of those two forces is the rpm you end up with.

Since the throttle is always under some spring pressure you may find that at high rpm the throttle cable won't stay where you put it because of the increased spring pressure. The pivot at the throttle handle is worn a bit. You can remove the assembly and pinch the pivot rivet tighter or remove the rivet and replace with a bolt and Nylock nut. If you use a bolt get one with enough unthreaded shank so the rotating parts are not wearing on threads. A few flat washers will move the nut out unto the threads. Once reinstalled you can reach in with two wrenches and adjust the tension as needed.

You may notice there are numerous holes for the governor spring. They are provided so the sensitivity of the governor can be changed but that is rarely needed. If the rpm falls before correcting itself it needs more sensitivity. If the rpm increases real fast it is too sensitive to engine load.

The adjustment procedure is in the Kohler service manual but if you follow it like I tried you won't do it correctly. I am told this governor adjustment procedure will work for any engine.

Garry

• Like 1