Cleaverkid

Embarrassing question

Cleaverkid

Hi guys!  I'm embarrassed to ask what is probably a really simple question, but I just acquired my deceased uncle's 1995 416-8 with a 48" SD mower deck and a 42" snow plow.  Since my other herd consisted of 2 older steads plus a 99 Toro 15-38hxi wannabe, I'm a little stumped as to the proper process to dismount this mower deck.  The Attach-a-matic works great, but the lift lever mechanism has been fully enclosed apparently on these newer machines, so I don't see a clear way to get the lift mechanism disengaged from the lifter chain.  Is the only option to just disconnect the chain where it connects to the mower?  My other 2 (854 & '69 GT-14) both have solid rods/bars running from the attachment up to the lift mechanism.  All I had to do was reach in, pull a cotter pin and pop it off.  I downloaded every manual I could find from this site, but nothing seems to reference this question directly.

For those who just want to know the details...this thing is relatively clean, the hour meter shows 673 hours, and it has the Onan P216 engine on it.  Seems to fun fine except boy does this mower deck load up the engine briefly when the PTO is engaged.  And I'm going to need some practice using the clutch to keep from doing wheelies each time I stop and start again!  Here's a few pics.  I'm guessing the shield over the engine was to keep excess grass/leaves out of the fan???  My aunt says he only used it to vacuum leaves in the back woods each fall.

Thanks for your help/advice!  As always, you guys rock!

Joe

IMG_7425.jpg

IMG_5925.jpg

IMG_3998.jpg

IMG_4462.jpg

• Like 6

nylyon

• Like 1

Cleaverkid

Thanks Coach!  I saw this thread before I sent my question, so I guess I'm still missing something.  I understand everything listed, but isn't there still a step to somehow get the lift handle mechanism disconnected from the deck?  I see a chain connected to the mower that is obviously running up inside the sheetmetal.  Do I just disconnect that at the mower?  I know I'm making this WAY harder than it really is, so what am I missing?

Joe

nylyon

The ligt mechanism will slide out of the deck hanger when you begin to slide the deck out from under the tractor.  Sometimes there may be a clip which needs to be removed, but more often than not that clip is long gone.  When you disconnect the quick attach, lower the lift arm, then begin to side the deck out.  You should see the lift bar detach (the pin on the lifter just slides our of the slot in the mower carrier). Once it is free, you can raise the lift arm to get the lift bar out of the way as you slide the deck out.

Give it a shot, it should be self explanatory when you get things disconnected.

• Like 5

ACman

First thing , what's that green and yellow  :thingy: in shed :scratchead: ,let's deal with that problem first ! Then we can deal with your deck issue  :dance: LOL .

• Like 8

Robert of Lake Michigan

LOOK !!! It's my favorite sea cucumber!

• Like 1

MWR
17 minutes ago, ACman said:

First thing , what's that green and yellow  :thingy: in shed :scratchead: ,let's deal with that problem first ! Then we can deal with your deck issue  :dance: LOL .

I thought that was what the embarrassing question was about.   :)

• Like 5

Racinbob

Forget the idea of having to disconnect a chain. The mower will disconnect itself as you slide it out. As Karl said, it will become obvious once you do it. :)

Cleaverkid

First of all, thank you all for clarifiying my dilemma!  I figured it was something stupid, but never too embarrassed to ask!  

Oh, and as far as that green thing in the background, that's not mine...these pics were taken at my uncle's barn.   My aunt seemed to think the green thing was better/easier to use than the Wheel Horse, but believe me, I tried to convince her otherwise.  Not because I wanted the JD, but I just hated to take the good equipment and leave her with green junk.  Like I always say "Nothing runs like a Deere...being chased by a Horse!"

Thanks again guys, and next time I'll try just following the instructions everyone so diligently posts on here before trying to over-think it!

• Like 5

Racinbob

Show him that you can remove and reinstall the Wheel Horse deck twice in the same amount of time it takes just to remove a JD deck. I was reminded of that again a couple weeks ago when I replaced the spindles and idlers on my son-in-laws green thingy. It's a good thing no young ones were near me :bitch:

Ya gotta wonder.....if nothing runs like a deer why do they use horses in the Kentucky Derby? :)

• Like 3

Tankman

The Horse will help shed his deck. See the other thing turned green with envy!

Red is for the blood we shed! :wh:

• Like 3

DougC

You might want to lower the deck to its lowest setting before removing. Then it will slide out easier.  :twocents-02cents: 

• Like 1

Racinbob

Excellent point Doug. :handgestures-thumbupright:

stevasaurus

There are no "stupid" questions...we have all been there at one time or another.   :)

• Like 3

Bert
3 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

There are no "stupid" questions...we have all been there at one time or another.   :)

:text-yeahthat::text-goodpost:

• Like 2

DougC

I'll tell ya what embarrassing is. Getting on your hands and knees to remove the mower deck from your mother-in-laws :wh:.while she is in the garage to help if needed....... Your shirt moves up and your pants move down. I believe its a condition called plumbers butt..................:lol: 

• Like 4

stevasaurus

Doug...it will usually take 2 loads to fill that crack.  :ROTF: Did you ever stop to think that is why she was out there.  :think::occasion-xmas::violence-blades::banana-linedance:

• Like 2

squonk

pb.jpg

:):):):):):)

cs.jpg

• Like 2

DoctorHfuhruhurr

The various attachments aren't always as easy to swap out as the documentation and sales brochures made them out to be (especially when it comes to their weight).  You may eventually come around to a common philosophy of just getting one tractor for each attachment and leave them on.   :D

• Like 5