welderman85

Points help

welderman85

Hello all I'm trying to do a good tune up on my c-145 and ran in to a snag. I tried to search first and found a some info on setting the points but I'm having trouble figuring if I'm doing it correctly. I installed a new set of Kohler points. And roll over the motor untill they open the farthest , but it seems like they stay in the position for a little bit so I can't figure out if this is accurate or not. Is the a mark on the fly wheel I can line up? It's not currently running but soon I hope. Thank you

953 nut

Give this a try.

Kohler static_timing.pdf

• Like 1

rmaynard

Setting the points to .020 is only the beginning. It's like the initial 2-1/2 turns on the main jet of a carburetor. It's just a starting point. The static timing method shown above is in my opinion the best way to time a Kohler engine.

The other important thing to remember when doing the "static" method, to rotate the engine in the proper direction. Clockwise when viewing from the flywheel side, counter-clockwise if viewing from the PTO side.

Edited by rmaynard
  • Like 2

Horse46
3 hours ago, rmaynard said:

Setting the points to .020 is only the beginning. It's like the initial 2-1/2 turns on the main jet of a carburetor. It's just a starting point. The static timing method shown above is in my opinion the best way to time a Kohler engine.

The other important thing to remember when doing the "static" method, to rotate the engine in the proper direction. Clockwise when viewing from the flywheel side, counter-clockwise if viewing from the PTO side.

This is a good call, I had been turning mine the other way! :rolleyes:I've still not got mine to run right, but I think I'm in the ball park now :handgestures-fingerscrossed:.

• Like 1