Jimf413

50" WH Sickle Bar Mower

Jimf413

I bought a Wheel Horse 50" Sickle Bar Mower Mod SML 506 that came off of a WH C series 10 HP Tractor and was told it would fit all C series WH Tractors but Its not fitting onto my C160 Tractor.

With the rear mount in place the front mount doesn't line up correctly. A friend of mine mentioned that some smaller HP tractors like 10 and under are a shorter frame then the bigger 14 HP and up. I have a lot of WH tractors and want the implements put onto them and just left on and not ever swap them out. I own a 5 acre mini farm and also work on a 400 acre hay farm.

I have five 16 HP's - Three 8's - one 10 - one 12 - and one 314 for parts.

I guess my question would be what tractor would be the best to put this onto.?

Edited by Jimf413

AMC RULES

Got a pict of it's mount to share here?  :scratchead:

pfrederi

Wheel base was more a function of age Older tractors 600, 700 800 were short frame.  Chargers,Raider, and C series were long frames. (I am not sure about B80's)

What are the model numbers of your tractors???

A picture of your rear moutn would help.  i have see some of them mounted incorrectly.

Edited by pfrederi

Digger 66

:handgestures-thumbupright:   Now T^H^A^T^S  COOL

• Like 2

pfrederi

Were 1075's short or long wheel base????

elcamino/wheelhorse

Craig do you use  the sickle bar for chores or it a show unit? Either way it is extremely nice.

Shynon
32 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

Were 1075's short or long wheel base????

short

c-series don

What is the dealer decal on the hood ?

• Like 1

Lane Ranger

The 50 inch sickle bar on our 1965  1054-A  is a model is an SMS-50 model and has a one inch wider  front attachment plate to fit the 1054 frame.   The pictures Craig  (AMC RULES) posted show the SML-506 which is like yours and one inch narrower to accomodate your frame width.     I believe that  in Craig's second and third pictures you can see the rear support rod attachment which also shows the locking collar.   I think the locking collar  can be loosened at the set screw to allow you to place the rear support piece shorter or longer to adjust to your frame.     You might check that to see if you can adjust to your tractors.

gallery_339_343_636933.jpg

gallery_339_343_452874.jpg

med_gallery_339_343_87398.jpg

• Like 6

ztnoo

Did Wheel Horse makes these units? Or were they Haban mowers? or another manufacturer?

Somehow I just can't imagine WH made these. Surely they were subbed out to a secondary producer.

• Like 1

AMC RULES
8 hours ago, c-series don said:

What is the dealer decal on the hood ?

IMG_3318.JPG

• Like 4

Lane Ranger

Not sure who actually manufactured the Wheel Horse sickle bar mowers  Steve.  I am pretty sure though that it started with the same manufacturer that they used for the two wheel  front sickle bar version that was later converted to use on the four wheel RJ tractor.   I also have an RJ  front sickle mower which I restored  and made a plastic guard for to display at shows..   See before and after photos.

IMG_3200.JPG

IMG_3292.JPG

007.JPG

741.JPG

744.JPG

Pond front Sickle Bar.jpg

Pond Front Sickle Bar Two Wheel.jpg

• Like 5

WVHillbilly520H

I have a couple old 2 wheel sickle bar mowers I have been toying with the idea to convert for use on the front of my 520H using the single stage snow thrower style lift and pulley/drive setup, they worked years ago but need some attention to really work again especially if I'm going to run them on a 20 hp Onan but I really think it's doable I'll get some pics this coming weekend want to mate both together for about 50-60" cut to use here on the really rough and steep parts of the property,Jeff.

• Like 1

Racinbob
22 hours ago, Jimf413 said:

I bought a Wheel Horse 50" Sickle Bar Mower Mod SML 506 that came off of a WH C series 10 HP Tractor and was told it would fit all C series WH Tractors but Its not fitting onto my C160 Tractor.

With the rear mount in place the front mount doesn't line up correctly. A friend of mine mentioned that some smaller HP tractors like 10 and under are a shorter frame then the bigger 14 HP and up. I have a lot of WH tractors and want the implements put onto them and just left on and not ever swap them out. I own a 5 acre mini farm and also work on a 400 acre hay farm.

I have five 16 HP's - Three 8's - one 10 - one 12 - and one 314 for parts.

I guess my question would be what tractor would be the best to put this onto.?

It should work on any of them. The OM states the SML-506 is for the 1057 on up tractors which are long wheelbase but you can see that Craig has one on his 1075 which is a short wheelbase. Loosen the collar on the bracket that attaches to the rear of the frame and it should slide in and out for the various frame lengths. Craig, am I correct on that? It's been 16+ years since I played with one.

Horsepower isn't an issue with a sickle mower so even your 8hp would be fine. :)

• Like 2

c-series don

I thought that was a Rolle Bros. dealer decal in the first pic! Thanks for posting that. They were a huge Wheel Horse dealer here on Long Island. Bought my Work Horse GT 1800 there in 84. Everyone here would have loved that place,it was like WheelHorse heaven. I spoke to one of the last remaining Rolle brothers about 10 years ago and he told me at one time they were the largest W.H. Dealer on the east coast. He said they sold at least four 420 LSE's (I'm still on the hunt for them!)Sorry,I didn't mean to hijack your post I just wanted to share some history.Thanks 

• Like 2

Jimf413

My friend Ed and I were working on it today and have it into position but have discovered the drive belt is to short so once its in place Im measuring it for a belt and it should be ready to roll. Thanks for the Information.

• Like 1

AMC RULES
On 5/16/2016 at 11:29 AM, Racinbob said:

It should work on any of them. The OM states the SML-506 is for the 1057 on up tractors which are long wheelbase but you can see that Craig has one on his 1075 which is a short wheelbase. Loosen the collar on the bracket that attaches to the rear of the frame and it should slide in and out for the various frame lengths. Craig, am I correct on that? It's been 16+ years since I played with one.

Horsepower isn't an issue with a sickle mower so even your 8hp would be fine. :)

Absolutely correct...

as that sickle came to me mounted on my long frame 1267.  SML 506 50" Sickle Bar Mower-2

• Like 3

Jimf413

The Sickle mower is all bolted on and being this 16 has a PTO we are removing the idler pulley in-gauging assembly that was used on 10 HP tractors that didnt have a PTO as shown in the photos of the 1075. We still have to measure for and buy a drive belt but that should be about it.

• Like 1

AMC RULES

• Like 7

squonk

Like your key chain Craig. Don't forget to turn the key off! :)

• Like 1

Digger 66
33 minutes ago, squonk said:

Like your key chain Craig. Don't forget to turn the key off! :)

X 2 ^^

WVHillbilly520H

As promised a few pics of the sickle bar mowers I want to convert to fit the 520s ,Jeff.

IMAG2178.jpg

IMAG2180.jpg

IMAG2179.jpg

IMAG2181.jpg

• Like 1

ipperwash

Here is a pic of my two Sickle bars the 42 inc on my 855 and the 50 inc on my 1077.

11082654_831819680186434_309442764863209034_n.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

Huntemcd

I wish I could find a sickle bar for my raider 8.