HorseWhisperer

Minimum required HP for sunstrand hydro

HorseWhisperer

Im considering a hydro buggy project and was wondering if a 2 hp heart would be enough to power a sundstrand hydro drive.I have always heard that you lose a couple of horses on the tractor if you have a hydro so a couple horses should drive it ok?

N3PUY

Well............  if you start with 2HP and lose a couple you would have "0"HP left.   ?????????? :think:

• Like 2

AMC RULES

:rolleyes: Makes perfect since to me.  :dunno:

• Like 1

KC9KAS
1 hour ago, N3PUY said:

Well............  if you start with 2HP and lose a couple you would have "0"HP left.   ?????????? :think:

Start with a 2 1/2 HP so you have some left!

• Like 1

pfrederi

Saw a  machine at an antique engine show that had a small hit and miss engine running a sunstrand hydro unit from a wheel horse. Had a very large sprocket on the engine and a very small one on the hydro to get the rpm up.  The small hit and miss were only rated at 1 or 2 hp.  (Lots of torque)

Assuming all you have to power is the movement of the buggy and you aren't 300 lbs asking it to go up hill i would think it would move...acceleration would be leisurely.

• Like 1

squonk

GO BIG OR GO HOME! :) :teasing-poke: Drinky.gif

k341.jpg

• Like 2

rmaynard

Let me see if I understand. :think: It takes 2 HP to run a hydro, and you have 2 HP, and the only purpose of the hydro is the move the buggy, then I'd think 2 HP would be enough.

• Like 1

HorseWhisperer

Im thinking so?Its just a hydro driver.

I have plenty of available power sources,just trying to save on size/design.I have the perfect little 2 horse briggs that will fit the spot perfect and it will just be a driver when finished.

5 hours ago, N3PUY said:

I have left it all at work before and everyone was happy

N3PUY
7 hours ago, N3PUY said:

BUT....   now you have "0"HP do do any work.    Say you started with 10HP, then lose 2HP to run the hydro.  

Now you have 8HP to move the driver and the tractor.   I don't think you can move 500+ pounds with "0"HP.

You're not saying it takes 2HP to run a tractor with a hydro .... you're saying you lose 2HP to the hydro  .... correct?

You need something left over to do "work".(the work of moving the tractor with driver)

Edited by N3PUY

HorseWhisperer

Its just a driver.No work.It wont resemble a tractor anymore.Just a hydro driver.

AMC RULES

:rolleyes: Starting to sound like something from here... 

• Like 2

HorseWhisperer

Well I guess I will just go do it.

• Like 1

N3PUY

I don't mean "work" as in physical labor, or as in moving something.   "Work" as in release of energy.   Such as making this

vehicle move.  If you start with 2HP and lose 2HP in the operation of the hydro you'll have "0"HP left to do the "work" of moving the vehicle. This will explain it better ......  "For moving objects, the quantity of work/time (power) is calculated. Thus, at any instant, the rate of the work done by a force (measured in joules/second, or watts) is the scalar product of the force (a vector), and the velocity vector of the point of application. This scalar product of force and velocity is classified as instantaneous power. Just as velocities may be integrated over time to obtain a total distance, by the fundamental theorem of calculus, the total work along a path is similarly the time-integral of instantaneous power applied along the trajectory of the point of application."  :techie-eureka:

rmaynard

Wow, this stuff is over my head. I'm sure that if you hitched two horses to the front of your buggy they wouldn't have any trouble moving it, and a couple of other things besides. 

2HP.jpg

pfrederi

The two horsepower loss in the hydro isn't a hard verifiable fact so far as I know.  Think about it where does the 2 horsepower go.  It has to be used up somehow...most likely generating heat.  A constant 2 hp heat generation would be a lot of heat to dissipate. Abut 5100 BTUs I believe.  Your space heater running flat out....Do our hydros get  that hot when they are not being worked hard???.  A worn leaky hydro will heat up a lot more than one in good shape.  My D200 used to peg the hydro temp meter, (she could barely go up a steep grade) not so after overhaul....

rmaynard

Go for it Kevin. I would like to see what happens.

DougC

I hope you post some pictures of your project. I would love to see a 2 horsepower motorized buggy with a hydro. In southern central Iowa the Amish drive buggies and pie carts and let their horses graze in the ditches by the side of the road while they sell their wares.  :)

amish-buggy-horse.jpg