howell1000

sk 486 shifter question

howell1000

Hi i have a question my shifter was a little loose so i took it out and the little round ball i guess you would call it that has a hole through it with a key .  Well the key was broke in half what can i use or were can i get one ??? I guess its a key its what the set screw goes against ??

WheelHorse_of_course

Sure it isn't a roll pin? If so, they are available at most hardware stores.

• Like 1

gwest_ca

There are a few parts lists that show the donut and roll pin.

933168 roll pin for the shifter donut 5/32" x 13/16"

Replaced by 32121-114 spirol pin

The pin is driven in from the rear and it leaves room for the dog-point set screw in the front.

Garry

• Like 1

howell1000

Thanks for info  sorry it took so long to get back went to store and got some pins no 5/32x13/16  just 5/32x5/8 1inch and 1 1/2 inch  when i took shifter out who ever had the tractor before me jerry rigged a set screw so i orderd one and nut and dust boot.  So how far does the set screw and nut tighten down???  and when I put the shifter back in the tranny is there something to look for so it works right??  And is the roll pin just there to keep the donut from moving? 

Edited by howell1000
more info

gwest_ca

When you look into the hole you will see the 2 shift rails (rods) running left and right. On each rail is a pair of tabs. The shifter ball ends up between those tabs. Use a long screwdriver to shift each rail left or right so both pairs of tabs are centered in the hole which is neutral. Now the shifter can be put back in.

Install the setscrew and turn it in until the shifter starts to get snug and difficult to shift. Put a few drops of oil on the donut for lube and work it back and forth. Install the nut on the setscrew and back the set screw back out just enough to give a smooth shift. Hold the setscrew there and snug up the nut to lock it in place. Slide the new boot down the shifter and stretch the bottom over the setscrew to hold it down.

A roll pin is also called a split pin - a single roll of spring steel.

A spiral pin is spring steel rolled into a pin - mutiple layers and stronger than a roll pin.

A roll pin will work but keep you eyes open for a spiral replacement in the future if needed.

Use a nail or wire loose in the holes to line up the donut.

Drive the 1" pin in from the rear except for 1/4". Grind off 3/16". Now drive it in so it is just below the surface of the donut.

Yes the pin just secures the donut to the shaft. If the donut can turn on the shifter you don't get enough action to place a gear all the way into gear. Many donuts were welded to the shifter at the factory and suspect that is why the donut and pin were not included in many parts lists.

That shiftier hole is a great place to pour gear lube into the transmission.

Let us know if you have problems.

Garry

howell1000

Thanks so much for all the great info as you can tell im new to all this .

Do I put the roll pin in the donut before I put the shifter back in the tranny ??

gwest_ca
59 minutes ago, howell1000 said:

Thanks so much for all the great info as you can tell im new to all this .

Do I put the roll pin in the donut before I put the shifter back in the tranny ??

Yes you do.

Use a nail to line up the hole in the donut and shifter. Use a size that will just slide in. As you drive the pin in it pushes the nail out. The pin ends up short on the front side because the hole is shared with the point on the setscrew.

Garry

howell1000

Thanks 

howell1000

Thanks for  all the info i have it up and mowing its been down for over a week  i orderd parts from jackssmallengines took longer than i wanted  any other place to get parts?

gwest_ca

Good job.

In most cases now if you do a Goggle search for the Wheel Horse/Toro part number the results will give many online options. I often wonder how many of the parts they actually stock. With enough orders they may order from Toro every 2 or 3 days and forward the parts to you after they receive them.

Perhaps you have a local Toro dealer that could provide the same or better service. If they have been in business for long they may stock the small parts we often need as they need them also.

Garry