Wheelhorsestory

Help Needed K181 Retro-fit Wiring for Dummies

Wheelhorsestory

Hey Guys,

I need help with some wiring. This is my week point! I need wiring for beyond dummies (LOL). I love the low sound of the Kohler so I searched and I bought a NOS Kohler K181  (Late 60ish) with the later starter and stator, not starter/generator. It also has an exterior coil and solenoid. I am putting this on my 1962 Lawn Ranger Project, "Straight From the Horse's Mouth " tractor.  The engine has a wire harness coming out of it with two wires in a plug. My tractor has the old push button starter switch along with the on and off key switch with ampmeter. Can someone draw me a detailed wiring diagram that shows the complete set up. I greatly appreciate any help I can get. If you want to email me a diagram it is whrj35@aol.com.

Also, I will have the original (very rare) Tecumseh H55D (electric start from a 32E) completely rebuilt with all NOS parts including the block. Its up and running, but you will have to tinker with the timing. After all it's a Tecumseh!

Thanks,

Mike

953 nut

Mike, you can use the stock starter button to activate the solenoid, just run a battery + wire to the button and a wire to the small terminal of the solenoid, these can both be small 16 gauge wires. Battery cable from the + terminal to one side of the solenoid and a battery cable from the other side to the starter and a ground cable from the - side,that will get the motor to turn over.

From your key switch run a 12 gauge wire to the coil + and a 12 gauge to the battery + (at battery or solenoid), this will get you spark.

The two wires coming from the stator will need to go to a voltage regulator (AC side) and the DC outlet will go to the battery +.

Hope this is a bit clearer than mud.

• Like 1

Terry M
1 hour ago, Wheelhorsestory said:

Also, I will have the original (very rare) Tecumseh H55D (electric start from a 32E) completely rebuilt with all NOS parts including the block.

Mike , Just curious where you found these parts.   I'm guessing it's probably that you have better connections than I do..:lol:....Any pics of the 32E ?

wallfish

pretty basic drawing but here it is

wire.jpg

• Like 2

wallfish

Just dawned on me about your key switch.

If it is a single terminal switch it will not work in this application because the original engine had a magnito ignition which means the key switch grounds that wire to shut down the engine.

If your key switch has 2 terminals and one side is grounded, you will need to remove that ground so the positive can pass to the coil.

You can also move the wire for the push button switch to the other side (same side as coil) so it only has power when the key is on and supplying power to the coil.

• Like 1

Wheelhorsestory

Thanks Fellas, it seems straight forward enough. Very good directions.  John, could I use a two pole toggle switch in place of my one pole key switch?  Also, is there a particular regulator I I should try to find?

19 hours ago, Terry M said:

Mike , Just curious where you found these parts.   I'm guessing it's probably that you have better connections than I do..:lol:....Any pics of the 32E ?

Terry, I found mostly everything on Ebay, the internet, or my friend Joe Papke. The NOS block is not a H55D, but a H50 fro a Rupp Mini Bike that has been fitted with a correct piston and valves. Everything else from the H55 matched up perfectly. Since the H55D is hard to find and even hard to find any information, I am wondering if Wheel Horse had Tecumseh spec out the engine and part numbers just for them. The only difference what so ever between the H50 and H55D block seems to be a few casting variations that don't have anything to do with operation. Now, I am not an engine expert by any means, but it seems to all work in harmony.

• Like 2

wallfish

A toggle switch will work too.

Any regulator 10amp or above. I think as long as it's rated above the stator output it'll be OK but not if it's below.

Here's a link to some

http://www.psep.biz/store/kohler_voltage_regulator.htm

Or you could just use a battery ignition switch and not use the push button switch

http://www.psep.biz/store/toro_mower_electrical_parts.htm

switch.jpg

953 nut

Check out this :techie-ebay: listing; 271744327867. It is a two position two wire key switch that could take the place of yours, cost $ 13.50 shipped.

Ignition-Key-Switch-Ariens-Exmark-Simplicity-Snapper-Troy-Bilt-NEW-2-Position