My 1978 C121 will not start. It will not crank over. The voltage at the battery post on the key switch is 12.3 volts. When I turn the key to the run position the voltage at the battery post on the key switch drops off.

I tested the clutch switch. good

Replaced the key switch.

Seat switch is bypassed. 

I am suspecting the PTO interlock switch but I have no idea how it works and how to test it. I am very mechanically inclined but I have never seen a switch like that before. 

Help Please.

Matt

Voltage dropping off is an indication of bad connections. Before you start replacing anything, clean and tighten all electrical connections. If the problem remains you can take a small jumper wire from the battery positive to the small terminal on the solenoid which should actuate the solenoid and starter. 

• Like 2

I replaced the wire connectors for the key switch. What other connections do you suggest I clean?

6 minutes ago, kcuttuck said:

What other connections do you suggest I clean?

All of them! The battery cables (+ & -) at both ends and the cable from the solenoid to the starter. Any corroded or loose connection anyplace in the electrical circuit will result in voltage drop.

• Like 2

The C-121 is a cradle motor and has an extra ground wire on the cradle. Make sure it is connected well.  I've seen vibration of the motor take a toll on them.

I found a bad amp meter. It showed power though it till there was a draw. 

Thanks for the help.

• Like 1

You can bypass the ammeter by placing both wires on the same terminal. Disconnect the negative battery cable before you do to prevent an accidental short.

A more economical repair is to replace the ammeter with a voltmeter and it will give you more useful information. A voltmeter needs to be powered by the ignition circuit plus a simple ground to the chassis.

Garry

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By dhr5050
      I am looking for an engine that will easily swap into my C100 that is not the K241AS. Any suggestions?
    • By WingfieldWheelHorse
      Howdy Folks,

I am hoping one of you knowledgeable lot will be able to help me out. I am fixing, as a surprise for my father, the ignition (that he took apart initially!) on our Wheel Horse 312-8. As we are in the UK we have struggled to get the ignition and loom which would have made this slightly easier. as the previous loom had melted slightly and a few wires came 'melted together'. And it is here where my problem lies. I have managed to get an ignition from a reputable provider here in the UK, but failed to get the loom. After visiting various local dealers they recommended I just connect the wires using spade connectors. 
      From images of the ignition prior, I have been able to connect most of the wires into the new ignition with ease however where some of the wires were twisted and burned together I am struggling to work out which wires go to the remaining terminals. I have found various manuals (most helpful one attached) and think I have followed them well. However I am left over with a small red wire of which I am unsure as to where it goes.
      The three wires I was left with were: a white wire, a large red wire, and a small red wire. I know that the small red one but join either the big red or the white but I am unsure.
      What I would have ideally is someone being able to send across a photo to ensure that I can't get this wrong or to be able to say definitively where it joins. Furthermore if you can see any basic errors you feel I may have made an help on that would be graciously accepted. 
      This is my first post but as I try to fix more and more parts it certainly won't be my last!
      Hope you can help gang!

B

***This is all the info I have on the mower:
      Toro 312 - 8 Cast Iron Kohler 12 HP Engine
      42" side discharge
      Manufactured circa 88/89

Vin/Model No: 78346
      Serial Number: 3900161
      Parts & Service Manual - E1 12K802/ R1-12 K01 8 Speed ***

• By D250power
      Hi I am looking for a distributor drive gear for the Renault 800  on the d250.  Also a cylinder head. I lost the gear.
    • By Rob R
      Hi folks Brewster Rob here, was gifted a Cub Cadet LTX 1040 in great shape other then a completely blown 19HP in-famous Kohler Courage SV590, today I acquired a 17HP Pro OHV CV490S in perfect running condition.... so I want to swap the engines. They have identical vertical shafts question is the electrical. The Courage had four wires coming from the engine red/green/white/purple, the Pro has 3 white, 1blk and 1 red.  I also have the alternator and regulator from the blown Courage.... might I be able to swap alternators???  I of course have the old Courage key switch I do NOT have the new engine key switch.........  Need help from the Red Square wizards and PLEASE think about the best result way to go here.... thank you in advance. 
    • By MAD MARK
      Bought this 310-8 for $100 came with a plow but no engine. Just want to put in the cheap HF $99 Predator 6.5hp. Searched on here and found that people have done this but I cant really find any information on what they needed to do to get it to work. Looks like about a 2" engine plate since the height of the PTOs are different and the mounting bolt locations are different. Besides that, any more tips or pointers?

Just making this into a cheap plow tractor, I saw the linkage below the 310-8 is not like below my 312-8. It does not have a chain lift and just a straight bar. I mounted the blade to my 312-8 and it worked fine. Guessing the bar is so I can push down on the blade if need be? Is this something included in the plow package I missed before? Any insight there?