cheesegrader

Muffler paint?

cheesegrader

I have just started doing a medium-sized refurbish on my oldest 520.

I am considering painting the muffler on a tractor with 800 hours, to try to make it last as long as possible.

Is this a good idea?  Replacements are so expensive, and this seems like it would be a simple way to make this one last a few extra years.

rmaynard

Sand the rust off first, then paint it with a VHT Flameproof Flat Black paint. I have done it with many mufflers.

Available online and at Advance Auto Parts, plus other stores. Follow the curing instructions on the can. 

• Like 5

Detector

I know this is a older thread but how well does this paint hold up over time? Also how long does it take for the smell to go away after going through the curing cycle? My muffler looks bad on my 312-H, even the clamped area has a lot of rust but due to over spray I'll have to pull it unless there is a brush on coating. I should had painted it when the engine was off the frame

lynnmor

Remove the muffler and glass bead it, sand is just too abrasive.  Then paint it with Rust-Oleum BBQ spray paint.  It holds up better than the expensive stuff in my experience.  After about 2 hours of use, there will be little smell.

• Like 1

82Caddy
1 hour ago, lynnmor said:

Remove the muffler and glass bead it, sand is just too abrasive.  Then paint it with Rust-Oleum BBQ spray paint.  It holds up better than the expensive stuff in my experience.  After about 2 hours of use, there will be little smell.

Came to say use BBQ paint.  I have it on all my exhaust components, pipe to stack.  It really cleans up appearance if nothing else.  I didn't any smell from the paint, but I did let it cure for 2 days in the summer heat

• Like 1

rmaynard

Just to satisfy my curiosity, I did an experiment with a used muffler that I bought for my worker B-100. After a light sand blasting, I sprayed one half of the muffler with high temperature BBQ paint, and the other half with VHT Flameproof. After running the B-100 for an entire winter plowing snow, and leaving it covered with a tarp about 60% of the time, the half painted with VHT looked pretty good, but the half painted with BBQ looked like it had never been painted.The BBQ paint had burned off down to the metal, and the rust was back with a vengeance. It seems that the heat on the surface of the muffler is much higher than the surface of a BBQ grill.

• Like 4

Detector

Thanks for the paint advice, I'm going to have to cut the clamp or break the nut off with the rachet to get it off unless the PB Blaster penetrates the threads overnight, yesterday I wire brushed the threads and applied some Liquid Wrench that did very little. The VHT paint requires a cycling hot/cold procedure running at idle or the oven method. I never like idling any Hydro even in neutral for extended periods so do you recommend removing the belt?

Edited by Detector

Detector
1 hour ago, Detector said:

Thanks for the paint advice, I'm going to have to cut the clamp or break the nut off with the rachet to get it off unless the PB Blaster penetrates the threads overnight, yesterday I wire brushed the threads and applied some Liquid Wrench that did very little. The VHT paint requires a cycling hot/cold procedure running at idle or the oven method. I never like idling any Hydro even in neutral for extended periods so do you recommend removing the belt?

Well the PB worked on the clamp but the flange is crimped & rusted really good so I'm kinda stuck, tried using a small chisel and a jewelers hammer to open it up the flange but the matal is brittle and chipping. I may have to look into Eastwood or Por-15 brush on high heat paint. No doubt I can get it off but not without breaking something

Edited by Detector

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn
10 hours ago, rmaynard said:

Just to satisfy my curiosity, I did an experiment with a used muffler that I bought for my worker B-100. After a light sand blasting, I sprayed one half of the muffler with high temperature BBQ paint, and the other half with VHT Flameproof. After running the B-100 for an entire winter plowing snow, and leaving it covered with a tarp about 60% of the time, the half painted with VHT looked pretty good, but the half painted with BBQ looked like it had never been painted.The BBQ paint had burned off down to the metal, and the rust was back with a vengeance. It seems that the heat on the surface of the muffler is much higher than the surface of a BBQ grill.

I have had the same experience Bob, your correct. I wonder if high temperature car header paint would be good?

Glenn

• Like 2

jdleach

Although I am not 100% sure, I believe I used the VHT when I painted the Nelson on my 312-8 almost 3 years ago. Paint has held up damn good. I have no rust, but the coating has "grayed" to to an extent, and looks thin. Figure a light sanding to rough the surface and a repaint every few years will keep it looking good and preserved for the foreseeable future. Small price to pay considering the cost of a comparable replacement.

• Like 2

bmsgaffer
On 10/23/2016 at 9:22 PM, Detector said:

I never like idling any Hydro even in neutral for extended periods so do you recommend removing the belt?

I'm curious as to why you think this is a problem?

On these tractors the hydro is not like a pressure washer, when you are idling in neutral they are running the fluid through the hoses and filter at a fairly low pressure (30-90psi).  The fan keeps the motor/pump cool and everything is just circulating unimpeded. They are designed to work or idle all day long, so you should be good to go, don't worry about letting a hydrostat idle. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2