graywolf1939

REBUILD OR REPLACE 1980 C1100 SPECIAL ?

graywolf1939

My tired old 1980 wheel horse C1100 special (11HP B&S engine model 252417, type 0198-01, code 79041711) has just about ran it's last race. It is blowing smoke, has no more power to cut, just about runs with no load, it just about pulls my cart with garden tools up the hill.

My questions are:

1. Does this engine have a steel sleeve ? If so, there is a chance I can bore it out a bit, replace the rings, valves, etc,  The engines are aluminum, but I don't know about the sleeve.

2. Has anyone replaced this engine with say a Honda, or another B&S, etc ? I know that getting an exact fit on the chassis is not possible, there will be the need to modify.

Thank you in advance guys,

Dick

Marv

Put a Kohler on it. That engine is rebuild able though.

Marvin

• Like 4

graywolf1939

Good evening Marv, so my old engine IS rebuild-able ? I would rather not go that route, I will look at the Kohler's to see what they have that might be a good fit. It is the mounting holes that pose the problem, I am sure that I will need to do some plate mounting/welding, and, I need to be correct with the crank shaft height to fit the drive clutch.

Have you retrofitted a C1100 Marv ?

Dick

US Army , 5th Artillery  Nike Hercules guided missiles

C-101plowerpower
5 hours ago, graywolf1939 said:

Good evening Marv, so my old engine IS rebuild-able ? I would rather not go that route, I will look at the Kohler's to see what they have that might be a good fit. It is the mounting holes that pose the problem, I am sure that I will need to do some plate mounting/welding, and, I need to be correct with the crank shaft height to fit the drive clutch.

Have you retrofitted a C1100 Marv ?

Dick

US Army , 5th Artillery  Nike Hercules guided missiles

any old k series should fit on the mounting holes. i'd look for a k301 kohler

graywolf1939

Thank you Marv, have a great weekend

Dick

wh500special

Hard to knock that Briggs that lasted 36 years.  

Kohlers are more popular here. No doubt about it.  Since the tractors of the era were usually Kohler equipped, bolting one up won't be hard.  But a couple details are different:

Your Briggs has a 1" diameter crankshaft. The bulk of the Kohlers you will find in excess of 8 hp will have 1.125" cranks.  You'll need a new drive pulley to match as well as a different bearing race/bushing under the pto bell.  No big deal, but making you aware.  

I would expect that your tractor has the external thrust bearing sandwiched between the pulley and block on the crankcase to take the side thrust from the pto.  That's kind of a hard piece to find, so if you toss the engine be sure to offer the bearing up for sale in case somebody needs it.  

Im pretty sure the Briggs engines use an onboard magneto for the ignition.  Meaning the ignition switch grounds out the mag to kill the spark and stop the tractor.  Most all Kohlers use a battery type system with separate coil.  And are wired slightly differently.  So you'll need a different ignition switch and might need to change a wire or two if you go the Kohler route.  Again, no big deal.  

I'm not a rebuilder, so have no idea what the possibilities are for your old engine.  I like Briggs engines - no points to maintain, carbs seem capable of sitting for years without gumming up...just have had better luck with them. 

Either way, you have options. 

You might also be willing to experiment with another brand.  The 1" crank hardware you have makes that slightly easier since you don't have to gather as many parts.  I'm thinking yanmar, hatz, Honda, and others.  

Steve

graywolf1939

Thank you Steve for your reply. I am able to do some modifying OK, I just wanted to hear from the Wheel Horse family to see if anyone has actually had to replace or rebuild their 1980, C1100 Special B&S engine. I can't believe I am the first...the engine is still running, starts right up, but no power to work.

wh500special

Those were good engines.  Also used in the c-111, workhorse gt-1100 and gt-1142, and in the anniversary special gt-2500.  Vertical shaft variants were common too.  

You our might find something if you search those other models.  

Best of luck!

steve