ramairformula74

Gt1100 workhorse engine swap

ramairformula74

I am looking at purchasing a workhorse GT 1100 8 speed and I'm also looking at purchasing a wheel horse C121. I'd like to swap the Kohler 12hp from the c121 to the workhorse. I got some info that I need to change multiple electrical items and could have issues if I don't. Could I purchase a wiring harness from a 310 or 312? Has anyone done this swap or have more info. I know this post may not have enough info to make sound advice.

N3PUY

You will need to exchange the ignition switch for sure.  Then you'll need to rewire both tractors.  Maybe swap the wire harnesses would be the easiest.  The safety switches may function backwards also.  If I was putting the Kohler into the GT1100 I would just rewire the whole tractor.  It's not hard to do.  Just download the wiring diagram for the C121.  Voltage regulators are probably different too.

• Like 1

clip

Is there something wrong with the Briggs?

WheelHorse_of_course
On 5/9/2016 at 7:05 PM, N3PUY said:

You will need to exchange the ignition switch for sure.  Then you'll need to rewire both tractors.  Maybe swap the wire harnesses would be the easiest.  The safety switches may function backwards also.  If I was putting the Kohler into the GT1100 I would just rewire the whole tractor.  It's not hard to do.  Just download the wiring diagram for the C121.  Voltage regulators are probably different too.

He's right, rewiring from scratch is not hard.

One thing I will strongly recommend though. If you use crimp-on terminals you should either solder them on, or buy the wider ratcheting crimper that gives a strong "factory-like" crimp. These can be expensive, but you can find them reasonably online or at Harbor Freight. Also, use the correct sized terminal for the wire (most likely blue).

gwest_ca

Why not swap the engine and wiring harness? There are not many of the 300-Series with battery ignition like the K301 has.

Garry

ramairformula74

Once I get the tractors home ill verify the engines are free and then get started. They're at an old Wheel Horse dealer and they're outside under roof. I'd guess they've been there many years. The workhorse is the nicest item sitting outside. There are 2 c121's and I picked the best of the two and most complete. I plan to       attempt to take all the wiring out if in good shape.  The owner also has virtually new tins from a 300 series. I'm buying seatpan and hood for $125. There is a hood for a c161 if I'm correct on the style. Square hood with black center. I figure the c121 can almost be a perfect donor for the workhorse.