onesweetcaprice

Close to Home 1966' 1276

onesweetcaprice

Growing up my neighbor was a wheel horse dealer, he was a great guy and a very close friend. He passed away about 10 years ago now and unfortunately his wheel horse collection all got sold before I ever got a chance to get 1 of them to hang on to in his memory. Well after years of searching I stumbled across a 66' 1276(?) That was purchased from old Jack Miller in his dealership days. Needless to say I got in the truck and it's now in my garage. The orginal 12hp Kohler had long since given itself a "rod-ectomy" and was no longer around, so a 10hp kohler was on it when I picked it up. The "new" motor ran REALLY well, but burned more oil than fuel (it was seriously impressive how quickly it would drink a quart). So after talking to some friends and family about my new found project I was given an outstanding deal on a kawasaki 20hp twin, liquid cooled motor with 4 hours on it (FD620D, currently set up to run propane). A few hugs, handshakes, and $150 later the transplant began. NOT A SINGLE HOLE has been added to the wheel horse, I will keep it as unmolested as possible incase I ever decide to do a full restoration, (although old Jack was a hot rod man so he'd probably appriciate the engine swap) but this is now leading me to a slight issue. The monster V-Twin is a we bit bigger than the kohler, and I can not bring myself to cut up the hood/grill, it's in really good shape. Anyone have a spare? Are there any hoods that are less rare that I would be better off "destroying"? 

-tried to upload a couple pictures, keep getting an "upload failed" pop-up

There we go.

20160506_170134-1.jpg

• Like 7

onesweetcaprice

20160508_165731.jpg

• Like 6

Wheelin'theSky

How many propane powered Wheel Horses are out there???

Nice find and best of luck with it!

• Like 1

onesweetcaprice

Thanks! As far as the propane goes, I havnt the slightest idea if i should keep it that way.... it could be easily converted back to gas. The propane "kit" is pretty simple, besides the regulators and safety valve that shuts the gas off it the motor dies, it's just a 1" tall "ring" that is added on top of the carb. Gas would be easier, but with propane I'd never have to clean the carb, or winterize, or worry about fouling plugs....

• Like 1

elliot ness

Welcome to Red Square. Where there is a world of knowledge about Wheel horse tractor and anything related to them. Enjoy new friend.:text-welcomeconfetti:

• Like 2

onesweetcaprice

Thank you :) glad to be part of the community, and (hopefully) pass along some knowledge of these classic tractors!

• Like 2

DougC

Hello and :text-welcomeconfetti:onesweetcaprice. That's gonna be one tough tractor with that water cooled Kaw! Enjoy the forum and keep us currant on your project.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

oliver2-44

I know where there a  WH1972 10 or 12 hp  model 103658 serial 981958. "no- name" parts tractor that I'm trying to get for the Kohler Engine on it.  It has already had some parting out, and the hood has already been cut a little. 

Can someone here identify if it would fit?

If it does I can get pic's and we continue this discussion on private messages. 

• Like 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

Welcome to Red Square. We need more pictures. That is going to be one great project.

• Like 1

onesweetcaprice
21 minutes ago, oliver2-44 said:

I know where there a  WH1972 10 or 12 hp  model 103658 serial 981958. "no- name" parts tractor that I'm trying to get for the Kohler Engine on it.  It has already had some parting out, and the hood has already been cut a little. 

Can someone here identify if it would fit?

If it does I can get pic's and we continue this discussion on private messages. 

If you could send me some pictures that would be great. I do a lot of custom fab work, so even if the hood is some-what close I can make it work.

Here's a few more pictures of last night's little project, I didn't want to hack up the stock "dash" to mount the extra controls for the kawasaki, so I made a new one. FYI X-Ray film makes AWSOME templates for custom stuff.

20160508_191749.jpg

20160508_192338.jpg

And apparently Im not allowed to upload the finished product pictures.... how do you upload more than 8.21mb's of pictures?

• Like 4

onesweetcaprice

20160509_174145.jpg

• Like 3

roadapples

Support members can load more pictures, and   :WRS:

• Like 1

ACman

:text-yeahthat: go to [Store (SupportRS) ] at top of page . Pick a supporter package  :teasing-signhere:  , then post lots of pics ! Helps keep the lights on , if you no what I mean . No better place than Red Square :text-welcomewave:

• Like 1

953 nut

:text-bravo:That is one awesome project you have going on.   :WRS:   

Terry M

I know when your done, the lack of POWER won't be an issue..:)     And welcome to :rs:.

• Like 1

onesweetcaprice

Thanks everyone! It does seam to be difficult to find a "mean" wheel horse fan :). anyone happen to have any connections at a John deere dealership? I know these particular kawi's are used in some of the newer JD's. I didnt get a muffler with the engine, and although I could make one, I'd rather start with a stock unit for now so I can get back to mowing (sold my old rider to partially pay for this one). New mufflers from the dealership are over $100..... :wacko:

And I'll look into a membership, I won't be going anywhere anytime soon so I may as well become one of the locals :D

• Like 2

TALMADGE

my bad. maybe i should read where you are first.

Edited by TALMADGE

onesweetcaprice

That's ok, I took some measurements last night after working on the wire harness for awhile (16 wires coming out of the engine harness is to damn many for a lawnmower lol). If the local John deere dealer doesn't have any old mufflers laying around I'm going to start on making one tonight. Now to decide what is the most "fitting" for this swap, duel stacks, duel stacks with a crossover, or a regular Ole muffler....

Edited by onesweetcaprice
  • Like 1

onesweetcaprice

Just the wiring for the engine harness.... havnt even tapped into it for the safety switches yet.... to damn many wires for a lawnmower engine!

20160511_205316.jpg

20160511_205330.jpg

20160511_205340.jpg

• Like 1

Derek M
On 5/9/2016 at 1:33 PM, onesweetcaprice said:

Thanks! As far as the propane goes, I havnt the slightest idea if i should keep it that way.... it could be easily converted back to gas. The propane "kit" is pretty simple, besides the regulators and safety valve that shuts the gas off it the motor dies, it's just a 1" tall "ring" that is added on top of the carb. Gas would be easier, but with propane I'd never have to clean the carb, or winterize, or worry about fouling plugs....

I'm actually in the Propane business. It would work if you wanted to keep it that way. Making room for a tank could be awkward.  Lots of old tractors used

propane well everything can anymore. Just the factor of tank space alone i would stick with gasoline. But that's just me.

onesweetcaprice

Doesn't seem like there are to many interested in this...... but for those that are.... got it far enough done to test it out today. Runs great, 48" deck in tall grass and there was ZERO engine bog when engaging the deck. Runs beautiful, drives awsome, cuts better than ANY other mower I have ever owned.... I'm in love, and it's not even done yet...

20160514_190922.jpg

• Like 5

AMC RULES

Would love to see/hear a video...

of your custom :wh: in action. :handgestures-thumbsup:

onesweetcaprice

I was planning on doing just that, but mostly because of how insanely quite it is when you engage the deck. My MTD got no less than twice as loud, this thing gets MAYBE 5% louder. I'm sure that's more of a all wheel horse's thing, but I'm still really impressed by it.

onesweetcaprice

Been searching the forum, and online, can't find a straight answer. Does anyone know the toro part number for a set of 3 blades for the 48" decks?

ericj

106637 48" 3 blade set

eric j

• Like 2