Lyman1234

Blade Tips for Mower

Lyman1234

Hi all, and Happy Mothers Day!! I am looking to attempt to fabricate some tips for my 32" rotary mower. Any ideas or has anyone done this before. Thanks all. 

wh rj decks shelby 003 (2).JPG

Robert of Lake Michigan

Please elaborate and clarify further on what you intended to do.

Lyman1234

Sure, as you know the blade tips for these mowers are bolted on to the spindle driven off the gears. I have attached a drawing of the piece I am looking to fabricate. 

Blade Tip.jpg

popcat

Use a gator blade tip. Got an old set laying around?

Lyman1234

No, that's the trouble. I do not have any to pattern after. Do you have dimensions. Thx

Don1977

THOSE ARE EXTREMITY DANGEROUS!  Hope you are not intending to use it. I wouldn't even mount that deck on a tractor with the tips installed. Would make a good display to show the bad design.

• Like 1

Lyman1234

I could buy a pair from Toro but they are asking 160.00. There has to be some type of alternative out there. 

Robert of Lake Michigan

I see.  Those attaching bolts in shear loading do not have the same cross section of material as a homogeneous blade.  They are thus weak and prone to catastrophic failure.  A bad accident would leave you with a life long memory you don't want.  I agree with Don, don't do it.

The location of the bolt holes make it even worse being near  both edges of both blade components.  If the bolts don't shear the blade material will tear resulting in the same catastrophe. 

• Like 2

Lyman1234

Though I would agree with you that the design was not the best, remember these are not running close to the tip speed of even the smallest new mowers. There are many of these that actually still operate, and I am not using it as my primary mower, just want to see what the cut generally looked like. I have a set of JD blades that are the same width as the spindle and tip carrier, and would fit perfectly. I may try that to see if it works. Thanks for all the input, and as always will be safe. Thanks all.