Nathanielperz

Diesel Swap?

Nathanielperz

I've wanted to put a diesel engine in my 1276 for a while and I look on CL almost daily for a good deal. I keep hoping a cheap Yanmar or a Yanmar clone will pop up but they very rarely do. But what do show up a lot for fairly cheap are the 3 cylinder Kubota engines. :techie-eureka: (I think you know where I'm going with this...)

Do you think that I could cram a 3 cylinder Kubota into my 1276? :think: I have never seen one in person so I have no idea what the dimensions of it are.

If I can do it I think I'll have the first 3 cylinder diesel WH!

• Like 1

Nathanielperz

That's a good idea I should do that! I just looked at the 3 cylinder and it has the big transmission gear on the back (i don't know the technical term) so that wouldn't work out

SALTYWRIGHT

CARROL STREAM MOTORS HAS 10 H/P DIESELS. I PUT ONE IN A 417-8 AND A 6 H/P IN MY 1054.     RUSS

• Like 3

Nathanielperz

How much do they go for?

19richie66

They have 2 cylinder Kubotas if you look around. I can get you measurements off of a 3 cylinder tomorrow morning if you would like. We have one in our Club Car 4x4 service cart. So much power its unbelievable for a golf cart. Pulls like crazy.

Fireman, that looks so cool. Bet it would be a hoot to drive.

Edited by 19richie66
  • Like 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

Fireman where did you get the fuel tank ? How does it mount ?

Nathanielperz

Thats really cool Fireman!

I've seen the 2 cylinder diesels once in a while but not too often.

WVHillbilly520H

Don't forget the TORO Wheel Horse 523Dxi has a 3 cylinder Briggs Daihatsu diesel in it from the factory turned around backwards flywheel towards the front crankshaft running the drive shaft to the hydro pump,Jeff.

IMAG1776.jpg

Derek M

Hmm i like the idea of this. If my 42 year old motor ever finally dies i may do this myself. 

fireman

The fuel tank came on the engine. I utilized the aluminum brackets that originally mounted the tank to the engine. Made up some spacers and mounted it right to the seat pan. 

Here is a link to the thread I posted during the build of the tractor. Got lots of pictures showing how I did everything. 

Diesel Ranger Build

Edited by fireman
  • Like 1

Jparkes43

This swap sounds awesome. Nate good to see you back.

@fireman You are awesome! i needed to think of a place to put the fuel tank on my lawn ranger project as i'm using a fuel pump and couldn't think for the life of me what tank to use and where to put it, so i think i will have to take a leaf out of your book and attach it to the back seat. great thinking!!

James

C-101plowerpower
10 hours ago, Nathanielperz said:

I've wanted to put a diesel engine in my 1276 for a while and I look on CL almost daily for a good deal. I keep hoping a cheap Yanmar or a Yanmar clone will pop up but they very rarely do. But what do show up a lot for fairly cheap are the 3 cylinder Kubota engines. :techie-eureka: (I think you know where I'm going with this...)

Do you think that I could cram a 3 cylinder Kubota into my 1276? :think: I have never seen one in person so I have no idea what the dimensions of it are.

i've been toying with this very same idea of putting a 3 cylinder into a wheel horse. i've also been taking rough measurements. it should just about fit under the hood going the normall way, it will be lob sided tho. the best way to go about would be sticking it in lenght wise and use a 90 box. the radiator could probably be picked up from a small car or motorbike so it fits behind the grill. you might need to cut the hood a bit if you have a turbo engine or make some new headers so it fits.

or maybe try to find one of these engines

kubota zb600c or kubota zb500c, both 2 cilinder diesels

this build is uses a zb engine

http://myoldmachine.com/topic/1177-project-c1-4x6/

:flags-netherlands:

Edited by C-101plowerpower
  • Like 1

ranger

I've had both three cylinder Z722 and  two cylinder Z482 Kubota diesel engines for a while now, with the same idea as you regarding fitting to a couple of my 'horses'

I picked up a couple of 90 deg 1to1 gearboxes, one from a tractor mounted topper, the other from a big mower deck, the 2cyl engine I think would mount crossways and use a normal W.H type drive. If you mount the 3cyl crossways, to keep it balanced in the frame you could probably use a belt or chain driven '"layshaft" running behind the engine, to keep your drive belt in line with the gearbox, radiator in the nose with a small electric cooling fan. or go the easy way and buy a ;d; series with a scrap engine and mount the Kubota in that, back to front as it was fitted in the Cub Cadet.

good luck with your project.:UK:

13 hours ago, Nathanielperz said:

If you 'google kubota diesel engines, there are technical specs given, dimensions hp etc,:UK:

Jparkes43

If its 90 degree gearbox setups. @callum12 may be able to help :) good luck.

James

• Like 1

diesel horse

Try looking around for a Hatz diesel engine. I put a Hatz B 40 and E673 air cooled single cylinders in 2 horses already.

The B 40 is in a C 101 with PTO and everything hooked up, been in my worker for 10 years.

Nathanielperz

I would love to see pictures of all of your swaps to see how they turned out! Just looked at diesels on CL. How about a project Overkill? A 1967 Wheel Horse 1276 with a 2-71 Detroit Diesel or a 12 valve Cummins :-o:ychain: I might have to extend the frame...a lot but it would be worth it in the end. Right?

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H

I vote Detroit Diesel but I'm a sucker for an 8v71 going through the gears straight piped... Clown truck from the movie Maximum Overdrive perfect example,Jeff.:bow-blue:

Edited by WVHillbilly520H

pfrederi
14 hours ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

I vote Detroit Diesel but I'm a sucker for an 8v71 going through the gears straight piped... Clown truck from the movie Maximum Overdrive perfect example,Jeff.:bow-blue:

Detroit Diesel...turning diesel fuel into noise  since 1938 :P

• Like 2

C-101plowerpower
9 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

Detroit Diesel...turning diesel fuel into noise  since 1938 :P

but what a glorious noise

• Like 1

Nathanielperz

Oh I know they sound awesome. A diesel race car engine if there was any. But personally you can't beat the sound of a 12 valve cummins.

Nathanielperz

• Like 1

Jparkes43

gorgeous sound!!

James

• Like 1

shallowwatersailor
On 5/11/2016 at 8:23 PM, Nathanielperz said:

Oh I know they sound awesome. A diesel race car engine if there was any. But personally you can't beat the sound of a 12 valve cummins.

Nate, Cummins was at one time into racing at "The Brickyard," up the road from Columbus.

https://cumminsengines.com/cummins-indy-racing-heritage

Edited by shallowwatersailor
  • Like 1