graywolf1939

Ignition module operation and mounting

graywolf1939

I would like to know how the ignition module on my WH H-518 works internally, and how it is properly mounted. Does the module have an internal reed switch that opens and closes as the magnets in the stator turns past the module ?  Or, does it have some sort of semiconductor circuit?

Mine seems to be failing after the engine has been run a while and is hot, it just quits as if the ignition switch is shut off. After cooling down, it restarts Ok until hot again, and sometimes the engine runs but starts back firing and skipping.

Also, I have removed the module and ordered a new one, but forgot to notice (my bad) how the module mounts. Does the raised portion of the module face the crank shaft (up), or down ? It would seem logical to face down (bracket up).

And, what is the best way to remount the key when reinstalling the flywheel, place the raised portion of the key in the crank shaft indentation and carefully align the long end of the key with flywheel slot ?

Lastly, the new module came without the black plastic backing to the mounting bracket. Is this used as a spacer? Or and insulator ? Is it necessary? What is it's function ?

Thank you in advance

Dick

WVHillbilly520H

I'm not sure on the inner workings of the I.M. but you definitely want that "rubber" isolator on there before mounting it back up...If you search correctly on here there's definitely quite a few post with pictures to help you out, sorry I don't have more for you,Jeff.

• Like 1

roadapples

Good luck   :WRS:

boomers_influence

dick

please e/mail me and i will send you pages 8-1 and 8-2 from the P service manual.

it will show the proper installation of the module.

ALSO BE SURE the ignition rotor is installed correctly.

the insulator is NOT plastic.

it is not part of the module.

boomers_influence@yahoo0.com

651 437 2826 M-F 10-7 S-S 12-6 cent time

thank you. boomer ( the used onan engine parts guy, also NOS and new )

graywolf1939

When I ordered the ignition module, I figured that the insulator would come with the module...WRONG ! Lesson learned, now I need to order that part also. I also noted on another site that if you hold a flat bladed screwdriver tip to the magnets on the stater ring magnets, you should be able to support the ring. Well, these magnets are not that strong for sure !! However, the magnets inside the flywheel are plenty strong, so I wonder WHICH ring the author was referring to.

As for the insulator, what is it's purpose? It cannot possibly be an ELECTRICAL insulator because the two mounting screws for the ignition module are metal, and they will ground the bracket to the engine. If the insulator is for HEAT insulation from the engine, that I might understand, or, if the insulator is for MAGNETIC insulation, that is another possibility.

WVHillbilly520H

I believe that rubber insulator is mainly a heat sink/vibration reducer to protect the I.M., I still have my old one and it's definitely pliable rubber, I'm sure over time the heat hardens them to a plastic like state and that I.M. is "solid state" for what that's worth , I let the small engine shop replace mine because back then I just didn't have the time to mess with it, Jeff.

• Like 1

boomers_influence

VW

the insulator IS NOT RUBBER,

at least not the OEM one.

thank you boomer ( the used onan engine parts guy, also NOS and new )

WVHillbilly520H
1 hour ago, boomers_influence said:

VW

the insulator IS NOT RUBBER,

at least not the OEM one.

thank you boomer ( the used onan engine parts guy, also NOS and new )

Not trying to upset you but it's not VW for Volkswagen, but WV for West Virginia and my bad on the "rubber",so how about a pliable phenolic substance because my old original O.E. one isn't so hard it's brittle but still "bendy" to me, pictures included of the one removed from '97 520H at approximately 600+/- hours,Jeff.

IMAG2136.jpg

IMAG2137.jpg

• Like 1