TALMADGE

MOW IN REVERSE

TALMADGE

I know it May Be a dumb question but I have no clue, and really don't wanna have to fix something this soon............

do I need to disengage the blades before going in reverse with the 520H

Racinbob

I don't know when they started doing so I'm not sure about a 520 but my 2005 Classic GT has....had a momentary key switch on the side of the seat that you had to activate to mow in reverse. :)

Edited by Racinbob
  • Like 2

WHX??

You should be able to mow reverse. I believe that wasn't invented till late 1990's

17 minutes ago, Racinbob said:

2005 Classic GT has....had

Now don't back over your hoobie doo when mowing Bob!

• Like 3

shallowwatersailor

It must have been around 2000 as my 2000 5xi has that key lock. My two 1998 5xi. don't have it but they do have a flashing amber light on the dash when mowing in reverse.

Edited by shallowwatersailor

WHX??

I hear tell nowadays some brands you can't even disengage it?

Racinbob
16 minutes ago, WHX61/3 said:

I hear tell nowadays some brands you can't even disengage it?

Now that there sounds like a challenge........

A bit off topic but isn't it great how some of the safety devices on tools actually are a hazard in themselves. I had a workshop full of old school tools up north. Since moving here in 2000 I've build my power tools back up with newer models. A well designed safety device is fine (I guess) but I could write a book on the silly design of many of them I've come across :angry-banghead:

• Like 7

dcrage
58 minutes ago, rmaynard said:

Such an idiotic "safety" feature. 

I am with Bob -- And what is the "safety feature" protecting -- This is a garden tractor -- What are the tort lawyers (working for the manufactures) thinking we are going to run over???? 

• Like 6

TALMADGE

this is great i  cant believe so many people think like i do!!!!

• Like 6

ClassicTractorProfessor

That is one of the dumbest safety features ever invented...the yard I mowed last Sunday I had my 1277 in reverse almost as much as it was in forward lol...sure glad my machines were built before people started losing common sense to the point we had to begin installing pointless safety features

• Like 8

roadapples

I agree, but nowadays so many people are sue crazy that the manufactures go overboard to protect themselves. Always remember YOU CAN`T TEACH COMMON SENSE....

Edited by roadapples
  • Like 7

ClassicTractorProfessor
21 minutes ago, roadapples said:

I agree, but nowadays so many people are sue crazy that the manufactures go overboard to protect themselves. Always remember YOU CAN`T TEACH COMMON SENSE....

Very true and it's not very COMMON either

• Like 4

19richie66

I think the reverse blade disengage was to keep you from chopping up a kid or a pet when going backwards. You just crush them under the tractor. That must be better? :dunno:

My green lawn tractor has the switch if you lift it just before you go backwards, it wont disengage the blades. My dad put a small piece of foam under it while mowing. Works great.

• Like 5

953 nut

Comon Sence.jpg

• Like 8

TALMADGE

My Late pawpaw Hayes loved JDs and he always said "Boy Disengage the blades when goin backards...youll rip the belts off the #!$÷*€ thang" Maybe he was a lil crazy either way we loved him.

• Like 1

Marv
3 hours ago, DougC said:

I do almost everything backwards, including falling down

3 hours ago, DougC said:

We don't or can't  turn our heads around like an owl any more.

Now those are true statements. Welcome to my club.

Marvin

• Like 3

Howie

Like was said above to protect kids. Had that happen just a few miles south of me a few years back. Child running around in the yard maybe chasing mower

parent backed up and got the child. I don't like the things and probably disable it if mine had one. But I don't have kids chasing mine.

• Like 3

Achto

For every safety feature made for todays tools, they make at least ten new people who will still figure out a way to get hurt using the tool. Even with the safety feature in place.

• Like 2

JPWH
3 minutes ago, achto said:

For every safety feature made for todays tools, they make at least ten new people who will still figure out a way to get hurt using the tool. Even with the safety feature in place.

Some safety features not so good 38 years ago.

IMG_20160505_220048027.jpg

WHX??

Guy I bought my business from is JD fan but wouldn't buy another one because of this issue and the G&Y POS couldn't be overridden so he goes and buys a cub which could (I try ed to get him in a nice C-160 but was brain dead  to that idea)......hmm hrummph what is a WH???.... so much for trying to educate a 80 yo man! 

4 hours ago, TALMADGE said:

this is great i  cant believe so many people think like i do!!!!

You ain't t seen nothing yet newbie...stick around. ....

WVHillbilly520H

What safety switches to defeat on a '61 CUB CADET the one grew up on...and by the way my '97 and '95 520's can mow in reverse no safety switches with the manual PTO except for starting...I believe it started with the electric PTO set-up on the '99 up classic and Xi series garden tractors,Jeff.

IMAG1753.jpg

• Like 1

Tankman

One riding mower, which I only purchased and sold, had a position on the key switch to permit mowin' in reverse.

Sold the Cadet.

My newest Horse, '90 520-8, will mow going forward, backwards, tall grass, brush, can't stop this Stallion!  :handgestures-thumbupright:

RedRanger

A previous Green tractor that I owned had a switch that killed the blades when backing up as well as the engine if your butt left the seat.

Took about 5 minutes to track both switches and eliminate.

Nothing worse than restarting the pto every time you need to back up or the damn engine shutting off if you lean too far over or need to leave the seat to do something.

Nothing wrong with people losing a digit or running over their kids.  It's called natural selection.

We need more of it these days.

• Like 5

Racinbob

No, it's called an unfortunate or even tragic accident. Don't get me wrong folks. I don't advocate bypassing safety devices. They do have their purpose and do prevent accidents. If you are considering removing them you need to carefully weigh your situation and understand the ramifications of doing so. My older brother has a defib and a pacemaker planted in him and has a 312-8 that he mows with. He's open about not caring for the safety devices but his wife made it very clear that he wasn't going to bypass them. Considering his health issues I stand by her. Then you must consider children. All of us old timers on this forum lived through many years of no safety devices. But I, as well as most of the rest of you have seen accidents that occurred that may have been prevented on a modern machine. Nuff said.

• Like 3