TALMADGE

MOW IN REVERSE

wrightorchid

I mow in reverse with my push mower  LOL, but it simply does not cut as well.  I'm sure most do not go as fast in reverse, but I am sure there was a lawsuit involved in this "safety feature".

• Like 3

RedRanger
4 minutes ago, wrightorchid said:

I mow in reverse with my push mower  LOL, but it simply does not cut as well.  I'm sure most do not go as fast in reverse, but I am sure there was a lawsuit involved in this "safety feature".

I don't currently own a push mower, but the last one I had was a Craftsman.  It had a guard on the back to keep things from shooting back at you, worked great moving forward.  But if you tried to pull backwards, it would flip up under the deck and lift the rear wheels off the ground and lift your deck.  Ever tried to trim around a yard without ever backing up?  Sold it.

• Like 1

RedRanger
14 minutes ago, Racinbob said:

No, it's called an unfortunate or even tragic accident. Don't get me wrong folks. I don't advocate bypassing safety devices. They do have their purpose and do prevent accidents. If you are considering removing them you need to carefully weigh your situation and understand the ramifications of doing so. My older brother has a defib and a pacemaker planted in him and has a 312-8 that he mows with. He's open about not caring for the safety devices but his wife made it very clear that he wasn't going to bypass them. Considering his health issues I stand by her. Then you must consider children. All of us old timers on this forum lived through many years of no safety devices. But I, as well as most of the rest of you have seen accidents that occurred that may have been prevented on a modern machine. Nuff said.

I'm sorry for your brother's unfortunate medical issues and yes any injury by any machine could be tragic, but it's still natural selection.  Teach your children not to chase your lawnmower and to stay away when it is operating.  Turn off your deck before leaving your tractor.   Don't try to stop spinning mower blades with your hands or feet.  Don't put your face in front of a deck shoot while it's running.  Common sense and attentiveness are something that current society is losing every day because people believe they are protected by everything.  No one thinks for themselves anymore, but that's a different subject.  For those that feel more safe being protected by "safety features" good for them.  I choose freedom.  Bottom line is those "safety features" are there because of lawyers, not the manufacturer's good will.

• Like 3

TDF5G

Gotta be able to mow backwards!   I back up and go around trees, posts and into corners and stop and back up over the little triangles of uncut grass that are left. 

With the rear discharge deck, going backwards works great for mulching up leaves and tall cut grass too!  

:woohoo:

• Like 2

RedRanger
11 minutes ago, TDF5G said:

Gotta be able to mow backwards!   I back up and go around trees, posts and into corners and stop and back up over the little triangles of uncut grass that are left. 

With the rear discharge deck, going backwards works great for mulching up leaves and tall cut grass too!  

:woohoo:

Ever run over any children?  

• Like 1

TDF5G
24 minutes ago, RedRanger said:

Not yet.  

:huh:

Edited by TDF5G
  • Like 1

TALMADGE

We have taught our 12 yr old to always make eye contact with the operator, especially any car in any  parking lot.

People are just sucked into their own world, You get all connected inside your car now. 

• Like 4

WNYPCRepair
4 hours ago, RedRanger said:

I have some neighbor kids I would like to try it on, but I think they are too fast! :)

• Like 4

RedRanger
22 minutes ago, WNYPCRepair said:

I have some neighbor kids I would like to try it on, but I think they are too fast! :)

You need to change your drive pulley.  Speed that baby up!

• Like 3

DougC
27 minutes ago, WNYPCRepair said:

:lol:  When I still lived in town I felt the same way about the neighbors pack of little.............:bitch:

• Like 3