Ole

1987 414-8 won't start

Ole

Hi guys.  I fired up the old 414-8 to cut the grass today.  I pulled out of the garage, shut it down to help the misses unload the groceries and now it won't start.  I turn the key, nothing.  No click, no starter, nothing.  I left the key on and jumped a screwdriver across the solenoid and heard it click and it sparked which I expected.  The batter on the multi-meter shows 12.6.  My electrical connections look good and clean, no blown fuses that I could find. 

jackhammer

Make sure the pto lever is pulled all the way back.   use your left hand for the key switch keep it on   ,wiggle the pto handle in the disengaged position around in an oval. as you try to start. if not maybe your seat switch.

Rick

Ole

I've had issues in the past with the PTO switch killing the motor but I sprayed some electrical cleaner on the switch and it has worked ever since.  How do you get that switch out of there for replacement or bypass it to see if that is the issue?

Ole

I worked the handle, no luck.  I picked up a new PTO switch and a seat switch today.  The mower started right after I replaced the PTO switch.  Thanks to jackhammer for giving me spot on advice!  I replaced the seat switch anyways since I had it on hand.  All is well.  Thanks guys! 

• Like 2