new horse

steering wheel removel

new horse

well, its a chilly day in east central ILL. so I thought I'd replace my LED light panel with the replacement that I bought from a member of the group, but I'm stumped, how the heck do I remove the steering wheel on a 520h??????   ( as long as I have the panel off, I'm planning on going after the 9 pin connector, as well)   any advice is appreciated, before I get the hot wrench (torch) out!!!

daveoman1966

Spray well with a rust penetrant and let soak for a few hours.  The s/w is held on by a 1/4" roll pin and you MUST use a dedicated Roll Pin Punch to drive it out.  Do NOT use a regular flat-head punch.  Sears carries a good Roll Pin Punch Set for about $20 bux.

• Like 3

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Theres a roll pin to knock out. soak pb blaster or something around the wheel. other help might be necessary. you might get lucky to. Shaown are an example. good luck. I would stay away from heat.

Glenn

20140115_122107.jpg

20140116_151417.jpg

• Like 4

daveoman1966

I don't know that the st wh puller show will work on the 520H sw because it is a MUCH different type. 

Here is a pic of the 520H s/w that I just took off a few day ago.  The ALUMINUM center hub of the s/w makes it lots easier....doesn't rust tight to the roll pin.

The threaded stem of the shown puller can't get to the top of the steering column due to the plastic center housing of the 520H wheel. 

Still... DO NOT USE HEAT as you WILL MELT the plastic.

I was able to use a pneumatic hammer in conjunction with the 1/4" Roll Pin Punch and the roll pin came right out...not a problem...because of the ALUMINUM center hub of the s/wheel.

Older s/w have a steel center hub and the roll pin gets rusted FIRMLY to the hub...like in the puller photos..   

SW 520 (11).JPG

SW 520 (8).JPG

SW 520 (3).JPG

SW 520 (2).JPG

• Like 5

DougC

I just had my steering wheel off an old 1988 520H to replace the steering shaft bushing. My roll pin was sticking out far enough on the right side I grabbed a hammer and large punch and after a few forceful swings of the hammer the roll pin moved flush to the steering wheel. I then used my roll pin punch to tap out the pin. Once you get it moving it comes out fairly easily the rest of the way. At least in my case it did.  :)

daveoman1966 great pictures and information. That will help many new members understand the anatomy of a :wh: steering column.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

Phatboy

I just did my steering wheel ,,on my 520H and what i did was went to harbor frieght and got roll pin punches and put one in my "Air Chissel" and in 10 seconds it was laying on the floor,, the air chissel works awesome,,, plus the vibration helps to free the steering wheel... And plus this way your not pounding on the steering column either... If you dont have a air chissel you can get a cheap one at sears or harbor frieght for like 20 bucks and they are a great tool to have around,,, good for all kind of things you run into when working on these tractors..  

Edited by Phatboy
  • Like 1

new horse

thanks to all for the excellent advice and Pictures!!!!! btw, ( I had NO intention of actually using the hot wrench)

• Like 1

skrusins

I always like the way one our members did. Find a tree and a piece of 2X4, brace the board between the steering shaft and tree.

Get a roll pin punch and a hammer and hit it hard, but before you do  that get some PB Blaster and spray the night before.

953 nut
3 minutes ago, skrusins said:

get some PB Blaster and spray the night before.

Spray each night for a week before!

• Like 2

doc724

If PB Blaster does not work, try Kroil.  I got three of them off without damage and no power tools.  The fourth "candidate" is sitting out back patiently awaiting its turn. :-)

• Like 3

Phatboy

Im telling you guys spray pb blaster or kroil and wait wait a cpl of minutes then air chissle with roll pin punch,, this way your not smashing your tractor lol,, 10 seconds roll pin will be laying on the floor !!

Edited by Phatboy

daveoman1966

Over the years, I've tried many penetrants and my HANDS DOWN choice is FREE ALL.  It out-does PB Blaster, Liquid Wrench, WD-40, and others.  It may not be as common as these others, but it sure works better....IMHO.

free all.jpg

doc724

Never heard of Free All, but for $8, I am willing to invest in a can.  Available on Amazon

ClassicTractorProfessor

Best penetrating oil I've ever come across is HB-33 NutBuster from H&B Industries. Not sure where to get any...friend of mine was a dealer for them and I bought several cases from him...finally ran out and haven't been able to get my hands on any more  But if you can find a dealer try it out it's good stuff

DennisThornton
On 5/5/2016 at 11:55 AM, Professor1990 said:

Best penetrating oil I've ever come across is HB-33 NutBuster from H&B Industries. Not sure where to get any...friend of mine was a dealer for them and I bought several cases from him...finally ran out and haven't been able to get my hands on any more  But if you can find a dealer try it out it's good stuff

http://www.hbind.com/