TIMOTHY McCLELLAN

310-8 Starting Problems

TIMOTHY McCLELLAN

I Have a WH 310-8 THAT WONT START WITH THE KEY.I TURN THE KEY AND THE VOLT METER  DROPS TO ZERO. I TURN KEY ON JUMP ACROSS SILINODE AND IT STARTS RITE UP. ANY IDEAS?

pfrederi

310-8's were made for 5 years during which time the engine was changed from a K series to a Magnum series.  Different wiring/igniton.  What is your model number.  (something like 21-10K801 on a label on front edge of rear fender cover in front of the seat.

Also should probably post this in electrical or engine section.

Phatboy

I had same problem with my 310-8 and the solution was,, if you are sitting on the tractor on the right side of the battery you will see a relay with about 4 wires on it,, the brown wire had broke off,, so i put a new connector on it and waa laa !! Worked like a champ.. Then for a piece of mind i re- did the other connections also ,,, bit mine did the exact same thing,, check that brown wire..

skrusins

Bad ground somewhere could be a wire or the solenoid doesn't have a good ground.

popcat

The one I bought has a brand new solenoid on it. May have been a similar problem with it.

Also noticed there is a couple of fuses that might be worth a check or a safety switch.

Just a few thoughts that may help.

pfrederi

Problem here we do not know if his 310-8 has K series with Battery /coil ignition and a 3 amp unregulated charging system or a Magnum with a magneto and maybe a real regulated charging system. Big difference in wiriing layout/colors.

TIMOTHY McCLELLAN
On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 1:17 PM, pfrederi said:

310-8's were made for 5 years during which time the engine was changed from a K series to a Magnum series.  Different wiring/igniton.  What is your model number.  (something like 21-10K801 on a label on front edge of rear fender cover in front of the seat.

Also should probably post this in electrical or engine section.

3110k801-12149