BOB ELLISON

machine shops

BOB ELLISON

Another post for help.

My c160 which I repaired from a mess worked great all winter pushing what little snow here in S.E. Michigan that we got . So I finally repaired the 42"deck to cut grass. Well after only 50 feet something started rattling in the k341.i turned it off and will have to pull it next week. If I pull it apart , might as well go through it. I have been trying to find a machine shop close and found nothing. 

My question is where is a good machine  shop in MICHIGAN,OHIO, N.IND that I can use if needed. Is there a list of machine shops here on Redsqure. If not why not start  a post of good shops that anyone has used.

Pullstart

I've not had a shop do any small engine work, but most NAPA stores have a machine shop on hand for automotive engines.  I'm willing to bet a call to your local store might help.  I've used mine in the past for engine and head work and will be sure to be a repeat customer again if the need ever arises.

Good luck!

• Like 2

oldredrider

The one man machine shop I use, I found by calling auto part stores around me. Best phone calls I ever made. Been using him for about 5 years now and have become really good friends...even sold him a Wheel Horse with attachments. 

• Like 3

woodchuckfarmer

It might

just be the balance gears.

Edited by woodchuckfarmer

Dhodge

Bob,

Measure the cylinder in enough places up and down the cylinder to help you determine what oversize piston you will be able to go too.  If you think the cylinder will clean up at .010 over, but your right on the edge, then go ahead and purchase a .020 oversized piston kit.  You will also be further ahead at this point by checking the crank to make sure it is still within tolerances and if out of specs then have it turned as well and buy yourself a .010 or .020 undersized rod ahead of time.

I recommend Shannon's machine shop for any machining you need.  They are in Montrose, MI and are very reasonable, but I would recommend you have the replacement piston and rod in hand when you take the work in.  That's what I always do to eliminate any mistakes and more especially with aftermarket replacement parts.  By yourself a gasket set, re cut the vales and seats, make sure valve guides are within tolerance and away you go for another 30-40 years.

That's just my .02 cents worth and the way I have done things for 30+ years with great success.

Shannon's machine lots of engines, mostly for the farm community in the surrounding area, but they are well known for doing good work.

Good Luck

KC9KAS

I just had my K341 bored and he wanted the piston on hand, but he ground the crank +0.010 and wasn't concerned abut having the rod before.

Cylinder bored, crank ground, valve seats ground, and the top of the cylinder "trued up"...$180

• Like 1

Phil854

CP Machine shop in Fort Wayne bored my last block and turned the crank did a great job and reasonable cpmachine.com  It was couple years ago if I Remember it was around $100.00 total 

SylvanLakeWH

I'll be watching this thread closely...I've had the same problem...

You would thing the motor city would have them all over the place but we don't seem too...If I had a buck for every "...not worth it - just put a HF Predator in it..." comment I would be retired...

The lack of such shops is another sad commentary on our throw away approach to everything...

• Like 3

BOB ELLISON
18 hours ago, Dhodge said:

Bob,

Measure the cylinder in enough places up and down the cylinder to help you determine what oversize piston you will be able to go too.  If you think the cylinder will clean up at .010 over, but your right on the edge, then go ahead and purchase a .020 oversized piston kit.  You will also be further ahead at this point by checking the crank to make sure it is still within tolerances and if out of specs then have it turned as well and buy yourself a .010 or .020 undersized rod ahead of time.

I recommend Shannon's machine shop for any machining you need.  They are in Montrose, MI and are very reasonable, but I would recommend you have the replacement piston and rod in hand when you take the work in.  That's what I always do to eliminate any mistakes and more especially with aftermarket replacement parts.  By yourself a gasket set, re cut the vales and seats, make sure valve guides are within tolerance and away you go for another 30-40 years.

That's just my .02 cents worth and the way I have done things for 30+ years with great success.

Shannon's machine lots of engines, mostly for the farm community in the surrounding area, but they are well known for doing good work.

Good Luck

Thank you Dhodge I did call Shannon's machine shop and ask if he did small engines. his prices were Crank grind $45.00, cylinder bore $55.00, valves ground and seated  $30.00.i think these are very

reasonable prices . as soon as I can tear down the k341 I will post it .it is good to know where we can go for repairs for these great old engines. 

• Like 4

Dhodge
14 hours ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

I'll be watching this thread closely...I've had the same problem...

You would thing the motor city would have them all over the place but we don't seem too...If I had a buck for every "...not worth it - just put a HF Predator in it..." comment I would be retired...

The lack of such shops is another sad commentary on our throw away approach to everything...

I hear you loud and clear.. The younger generation don't know how to fix anything.  Hell the schools don't even have welding or shop classes anymore.  I sort of pride myself in having some knowledge and the equipment to repair things.  Seems like no matter what I'm working on I am always learning and that's what keeps things fun and exciting for me.  

For you gentleman that are nearby (mid MI.)  I have the tooling to cut valve seats and valves if needed.  I also have a Bridgeport mill, metal lathe, capability to broach keyways, mig and tig weld, so if you need help give me a shout.

3 minutes ago, BOB ELLISON said:

Thank you Dhodge I did call Shannon's machine shop and ask if he did small engines. his prices were Crank grind $45.00, cylinder bore $55.00, valves ground and seated  $30.00.i think these are very

reasonable prices . as soon as I can tear down the k341 I will post it .it is good to know where we can go for repairs for these great old engines. 

I doubt you can find anyone else more reasonable.  He has only done a couple for me, but they were done well and he was cheaper than anyone around.  Good luck Bob? 

• Like 6

BOB ELLISON
1 minute ago, Dhodge said:

I hear you loud and clear.. The younger generation don't know how to fix anything.  Hell the schools don't even have welding or shop classes anymore.  I sort of pride myself in having some knowledge and the equipment to repair things.  Seems like no matter what I'm working on I am always learning and that's what keeps things fun and exciting for me.  

For you gentleman that are nearby (mid MI.)  I have the tooling to cut valve seats and valves if needed.  I also have a Bridgeport mill, metal lathe, capability to broach keyways, mig and tig weld, so if you need help give me a shout.

That is great to know.it is a shame that every thing made today is not meant to last more then a few years then buy new again. with a little  work and upkeep every thing can be saved.im from

the old school if it can be fixed don't through it away .FIX IT

• Like 4

ACman

@Dhodge your super good guy . Thanks for offering your services. I wish I had your shop ( now that you can see it :teasing-neener: ). May have to take you up on your offer so I can get my 702 you sold me running . 

• Like 1

BOB ELLISON
On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 10:58 AM, pullstart said:

I've not had a shop do any small engine work, but most NAPA stores have a machine shop on hand for automotive engines.  I'm willing to bet a call to your local store might help.  I've used mine in the past for engine and head work and will be sure to be a repeat customer again if the need ever arises.

Good luck!

Pullstart I did call napa and he said they don't do any machine work anymore

BOB ELLISON

I did find another machine shop in Toledo, Ohio Engine Rebuilders of Toledo 1300 Cherry St, Toledo, OH .

Rebore $65.00  crank $70.00  valves $7.00 each  + reseat $9.00.

It is closer for me to go to Toledo . But I don't know yet

what I have to do and how lone the waiting line is at these machine shops. if Toledo has a lone waiting line I will

call Shannon's Engine Services to see what the wait will be. I don't want to tie it up all summer waiting. 

Thanks for all the help guys

WHX??

Good luck Bob i feel for you...after taking to my B1290 Clinton to two different shops for valve guides, both of which sat on it for a month of Sundays and didn't do squat, I took it to a shop that did mini bike Briggs for me when I was in high school power mechanics some 35 years ago and had it back in no time. Nobody could figure out why I wanted to resto or put coin into a 50 year old 4 hp Clinton. My Clinton parts guy says if you can't save these old motors you ain't trying because the parts are out there. Hopefully these guys that delayed my progress won't keep me from bringing this to the Big Show.

Which brings up a good point you had made ..maybe we should get a favorite machine shop thread that does good work for a fair price in the appropriate forum.

• Like 3

SylvanLakeWH
5 hours ago, WHX61/3 said:

Which brings up a good point you had made ..maybe we should get a favorite machine shop thread that does good work for a fair price in the appropriate forum.

Great idea!

Moderators? 

Pullstart
9 hours ago, BOB ELLISON said:

Pullstart I did call napa and he said they don't do any machine work anymore

bummer!  I guess that makes me lucky, eh?

WHX??

We have a Weaver auto parts store around here that offers machine shop service but they farm it out to who knows and kinda $$. Rare to get second cracks at

On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 8:28 AM, BOB ELLISON said:

these great old engines

if  it gets screwed up.

BOB ELLISON
16 hours ago, WHX61/3 said:

Good luck Bob i feel for you...after taking to my B1290 Clinton to two different shops for valve guides, both of which sat on it for a month of Sundays and didn't do squat, I took it to a shop that did mini bike Briggs for me when I was in high school power mechanics some 35 years ago and had it back in no time. Nobody could figure out why I wanted to resto or put coin into a 50 year old 4 hp Clinton. My Clinton parts guy says if you can't save these old motors you ain't trying because the parts are out there. Hopefully these guys that delayed my progress won't keep me from bringing this to the Big Show.

That is what I think we should do. Start a list of reliable priced  machines shops in the USA. We all have to have some kind of work done on these engines

and it would help to know where we can go to get them  fixed. Every state has a good machine shop you just have to know where to look.

• Like 1

ACman

Stockbride Auto , in Stockbride Mi has a nice machine shop .

• Like 1

CTBT&D

I used Renew Performance machine shop in Greenville, Michigan for two Onan engines. Bore, valve seats and misc. Very reasonable rates and top notch work.

• Like 2