timmy b

1987 418-A Question

timmy b

I am looking at what appears to be a 1987 418-A...however it has a Kohler 17HP Series II engine...is this a typical engine for this unit or should I assume it is not the original engine?

farmer

There is a pic of that tractor in the gallery for you to compare with, sorry not sure about the engine. 

gwest_ca

Perhaps the engine numbers will fall here

Garry

N3PUY

I think that if it is a "418" tractor then the motor should be a "18HP" motor.

• Like 1

timmy b
13 minutes ago, gwest_ca said:

Perhaps the engine numbers will fall here

Garry

Thanks Gary...yes it does...engine is a KT17QS-24363...however the tractor is a 418-A...I thought that was unusual...I'm thinking the 17HP engine is not the original engine?

1 minute ago, N3PUY said:

1 minute ago, N3PUY said:

I

ericj

they also made a 417-A , perhaps it is a 417

eric j 

• Like 1

timmy b
21 minutes ago, farmer said:

There is a pic of that tractor in the gallery for you to compare with, sorry not sure about the engine. 

Thanks Farmer...

5 minutes ago, N3PUY said:

I agree...

3 minutes ago, ericj said:

they also made a 417-A , perhaps it is a 417

eric j 

Understood Eric however hood decal says 418-A and engine is definitely 17HP...so either the hood was changed or the engine was changed haha...

• Like 2

pfrederi

The only significant difference between a KT17 Series 2 and  Magnum 18 is the ignition system... How they got the xtra 1 hp I do not know. 

Edit :: looked at Kohler Svc Manuals for KT 17 and M18 both are 42.18 cubic inch displacement.

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 1

BESTDOGEVER

418 should have 18hp magnum  engine  the  kt series would be on the 417A so engine could be a replacement 

timmy b
21 hours ago, pfrederi said:

The only significant difference between a KT17 Series 2 and  Magnum 18 is the ignition system... How they got the xtra 1 hp I do not know. 

Edit :: looked at Kohler Svc Manuals for KT 17 and M18 both are 42.18 cubic inch displacement.

Thank you pfrederi for the info...

21 hours ago, BESTDOGEVER said:

418 should have 18hp magnum  engine  the  kt series would be on the 417A so engine could be a replacement 

I agree Bestdogever...thank you for your input...

• Like 1

19richie66

Either way, that machine should be a beast. Mine pulls like a horse( pun intended). I love using it around the yard. Run the model number to see what the tractor should be. If the tractor has pionts and a coil, it is not original to the 418-A. The hood should have louvers in the top of it also. Should have an Eaton 1100 rear in it also. I'd roll with it either way if the price was right.

On May 2, 2016 at 10:07 AM, pfrederi said:

:ROTF:It's in the decal.

• Like 1

timmy b
On 5/3/2016 at 0:18 PM, 19richie66 said:

Either way, that machine should be a beast. Mine pulls like a horse( pun intended). I love using it around the yard. Run the model number to see what the tractor should be. If the tractor has pionts and a coil, it is not original to the 418-A. The hood should have louvers in the top of it also. Should have an Eaton 1100 rear in it also. I'd roll with it either way if the price was right.

:ROTF:It's in the decal.

Still tossing it around...this horse would grow my herd to 4...just saw it and got feverish haha